Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Read this if you want to help bring down the price of petrol

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm supposed to email this to 10 people but it's a better ( and lazier) idea to put it on here.

it COULD work I guess, whaddya reckon?

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £113.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £120 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Given that on the other thread it says 59p in every litre is tax, I find it somewhat hard to believe that it would ever reach 69p per litre!

I also like the way that this idea gives no thought to who may provide the supermarkets, etc with their fuel... it's not like the supermarkets own oil rigs, is it?

What needs to happen is people need to cut down useage. I don't think prices will go down; certainly not to the levels we saw 10 (or maybe even 5) years ago. People just need to change habits; if demand for fuel became more elastic then there's a chance that firms may cut fuel prices; until there is a visible response from the population to changes in prices however, that's not going to happen.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
this wont work

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Given that on the other thread it says 59p in every litre is tax, I find it somewhat hard to believe that it would ever reach 69p per litre!

I also like the way that this idea gives no thought to who may provide the supermarkets, etc with their fuel... it's not like the supermarkets own oil rigs, is it?

What needs to happen is people need to cut down useage. I don't think prices will go down; certainly not to the levels we saw 10 (or maybe even 5) years ago. People just need to change habits; if demand for fuel became more elastic then there's a chance that firms may cut fuel prices; until there is a visible response from the population to changes in prices however, that's not going to happen.

a few thousand people in the uk changing their habits on buying petrol would have no effect WHATSOEVER on the price. prices going down due to consumer behaviour is simply NOT going to happen and anyone who believes otherwise is exceptionally naive.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
to be honset even cars etc not going to cetian stations wont change, HGV lorries must spend hundreds of pounds on each fill up and most of the time they have fuel cards linked to national chains,

i also wont buy superstore petrol *snob!*

a few thousand people in the uk changing their habits on buying petrol would have no effect WHATSOEVER on the price. prices going down due to consumer behaviour is simply NOT going to happen and anyone who believes otherwise is exceptionally naive.

No I agree (that's why I said it won't happen); but that is the ONLY way that prices COULD ever fall.

Petrol prices won't fall (substantially) ever, I don't think. They will keep going up until we run out.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Oil is a sellers market and that wont change when demand rises year on year but production stays the same.

a few thousand people not buying petrol in one tiny part of the world would have a bout as much affect as someone using a watering can to put out an oil refinery fire.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
its simple economics if you cut down on demand then prices will drop . therefore i think we need to stop china india and every other nation to stop using oil. this of course can not be done so the world is going to continue to have to pay thru the nose until the oil runs out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok I'm now convinced it won't work:dunce:,

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

I'm sure it wont be long before the first Tesco oil rig pops up.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
its simple economics if you cut down on demand then prices will drop . therefore i think we need to stop china india and every other nation to stop using oil. this of course can not be done so the world is going to continue to have to pay thru the nose until the oil runs out.

your basic theory could never apply to the oil market in reality

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is a cartel that knows how to milk the market

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Will never work as long as there's OPEC controlling production output. Simple economics that they will continue to make vast profits whilst other countries suffer. George Bush last week got the Saudis to increase output by 300000 barrels, but that just covers what the other OPEC countries had recently cut back on. This is their honeymoon period and why end the party. ity was only 16 years ago that oil was languishing at $10.00 a barrel

They are not remotely interested in saving the American Economy from failing as it enables their Sovereign Wealth funds owned by their respective Governments to buy up large chunks of American Industry whilst its on its knees. This is already happening in the American Financial markets

The rise in oil has also been exaperated by speculators seeing it as a commodity play and pushing up the price of futures. These speculators will never take delivery of one barrel of oil and will just play the market selling on their contracts. Exactly the same has happend with food futures such as rice and wheat where the bubble has recently deflated.

When this does happen , prices will fall back sharply to nearer $100 a barrel. not the $133 as i type.

Oil will soon top €150 a barrel on futures buying, not on the old basis of simple supply and demand.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Aren't Shell bigger than BP anyway?

These firms make pittances off their retail operations as it is. They make their money off selling fuel to *other people*. Theres many countries in the world where the 6 big oil firms have f*** all presence - Chevron have some Texacos and Exxon some Essos here, but thats it. Most petrol sold in Ireland is by local brands (Topaz, Maxol, Emo, Estuary) and nearly all of that comes from Shell as they're the main importer here...

Absolutely and utterly won't work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what a load of bollocks, writer doesnt understand the basic economics of the oil industry. couple of pence is made on the forecourt, most of which are run as francishes anyway. Oil companies they make their money on getting out the ground and the refining, if you dont buy it from the BP garage, chances are you'll still get it from BP refinery so they dont really care. and Shell is just as big as BP. then again, should boycott BP on the principle that they are always about a penny more expensive than everyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here