Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Raptors v Nets at the o2

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Why the f*** does a thread about basketball ALWAYS end up in an argument about whether it's shit or not?!?!?

If you don't like it no one gives a toss! It's probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport in this country and slowly rising i'd say so get used to it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The new "charge lines" they have introduced are a good idea.

Makes it harder to just step out from under the ring and take a charge near or under the ring.

Except of course if you're Big Baby Davis.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Which is how a lot of people feel about watching a sport that ends up 0-0.

I mean a sport that has a fair chance of ending without a winner seems rather pointless to a lot of people.

Regardless, I enjoy both sports imensely, I still play both.

From a viewing point though I prefer basketball simply for the fact that even in a dull game there's still some entertaining action going on.

A dull game of football and it's like watching Pong.
It's all about individual preference innit? Ever since humans arrived on this planet in order to amuse ourselves we've kicked things, thrown things and hit things with sticks. To say that one particular form of kicking, throwing or hitting with a stick is intrinsically 'better' than any other is obviously absurd. Personally I'm with Easy 10, I find basketball boring because the points flow like diarrhoea, others find football boring because the goals don't. 'Takes all sorts' as they say.

You are right about football though, a boring game is one of the worst sporting spectacles there is.

Stumpy Tim

Not all American sports are shit, but basketball really is RUBBISH, as is baseball. Monotony of the highest order. I surprised myself when I went to a Dallas Cowboys NFL game - really enjoyed it. I like a sport where points matter. Football is the best for this, cricket is good for it (every wicket matters), and NFL is to an extent.

What gets me about baseball especially is the amount of matches they play. Losing doesn't matter at all because they play 26 games a day or something absurd like that

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Im looking to do coaching badges in both basketball and football, and for me, on a personal level, its hard for me to choose between them. I was brought up and regularly played both sports, and I can definitely see how peoples opinions differ in terms of what they expect from the game.

As may not be as clear as other sports, but basketball, as it is so quick-flowing and and very quicker paced game, its hard to see the true tactics that are being used in teams, strategies like TB put in the Celtic's terms. With some people who take a keen interest in basketball, these tactics and movements may be more easily distinguished to those whom are new to watching the sport.

I understand the points, however, that many baskets in a game make each individual one less 'special', but its an american sport, they love their scoring, and thats the game, to be blunt. It takes huge talent to get to where NBA players are, and alot of hard work physically, its not 'if youre tall then turn up', its much more in depth in terms of the NBA, due to its huge sponserships and increasing amounts of quality players coming through.

Ive written all of that for nothing anyways, because opinions are opinions.

P.S, just got in from the game, missed the Brighton train by 1 minute so had to wait at east croyden *shudder* for half hour. good game, not the best, but Williams was the difference.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
. Basketball and baseball really are dull though

Until you spend some time (preferably a season) watching it (with somebody who knows the game) until you understand the game. Like most sport really although there isn't a lot to learn about basketball and that will always be a boring game-for me at least.

Baseball really is a great game but divides in the same way cricket does. You cannot form an opinion on either having watched only a handful of games.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ice Hockey (ok, more Canadian) I can see why people can get into it. Personally I can never see the puck, and the constant stream of contrived fake fights are fairly tiresome, but it has its merits.

Having been to many, many Maple Leaf games, I can safely say that the fights are anything but fake and are certainly not contrived-especially if the Leafs' opponents are Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Chicago or Philadelphia. Old, old rivalries.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Until you spend some time (preferably a season) watching it (with somebody who knows the game) until you understand the game. Like most sport really although there isn't a lot to learn about basketball and that will always be a boring game-for me at least.

Baseball really is a great game but divides in the same way cricket does. You cannot form an opinion on either having watched only a handful of games.

Disagree completely.

A basketball player has far more options to consider when making a play than a baseball pitcher of bastman does.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I split my weekends between football watching and playing and basketball watching and ref'ing and will be rushing from Withdean this afternoon to the O2 for tonight. I am expecting a spectacle tonight even though I am largely indifferent to the result, having no loyalty to either side. Both my kids play basketball so a big night out for the Cheese Rollers beckons.

London and the NBA make sense on many levels, because there is strong grass roots support for this. What a few of the cynics on here have not appreciated is that the sport is massive in many parts of Europe, notably Greece and all points North and East of there, plus Spain, so this is not an All American phenomenon.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Having watched a number of us sports live, I was actually surprised at how good ice hockey was. On tv you struggle to see the puck and miss the flow and positioning of the game. Live you see the whole perspective.

Basketball is the same. On tv it just looks like a procession of points but live you get a better overall vision. I have watched many Brighton bears games and some Worthing thunder. I have also been lucky to see live NBA in the states. Whilst the uk standard is obviously lower, as long as the teams are matched then the contest is good to watch. A bit like county league football which although not as skilful as premier league, it is still fun to see a good contest.

Yes the two teams coming over are at the lower end of NBA but I think they have been chosen as a leader. If successful I wouldn't rule out a lakers or bulls visit in the next 5 years. I just wish I was there tonight.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never mind the basketball.. did you see the Nets Cheerleaders on Soccer AM? Gulp. Sorry Gully's Girls... you still have a way to go..... ;)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Never mind the basketball.. did you see the Nets Cheerleaders on Soccer AM? Gulp. Sorry Gully's Girls... you still have a way to go..... ;)

Very much, THIS

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having been to many, many Maple Leaf games, I can safely say that the fights are anything but fake and are certainly not contrived-especially if the Leafs' opponents are Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Chicago or Philadelphia. Old, old rivalries.

Every other sport in the world manages to pass off without half the team being involved in a brawl every single match. I'm sorry, but it is TOTALLY contrived. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why ice hockey players fight other than it being uniquely accepted as a part of the sport, and it being "expected" of them.

"We're ice hockey players.....so it must be time for a fight" :rolleyes: :yawn:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not all American sports are shit, but basketball really is RUBBISH, as is baseball. Monotony of the highest order. I surprised myself when I went to a Dallas Cowboys NFL game - really enjoyed it. I like a sport where points matter. Football is the best for this, cricket is good for it (every wicket matters), and NFL is to an extent.

What gets me about baseball especially is the amount of matches they play. Losing doesn't matter at all because they play 26 games a day or something absurd like that

I used to think Baseball was like that but I spent a summer watching St Louis and it was class, Beer, sun with some good banter.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
What a game that was! 3 periods of OT!!

What hasn't been said yet by the way is what a good family night out it is in general. There's something for everyone and if you're not that interested in the game there's always something else going on like the incredible mascots doing gymnastics on the stairs and the railings. There are enough breaks in the game for various entertainment, many laughs to be had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here