Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Raptors v Nets at the o2

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
No, no the entire NBA is *not* a great spectacle, any more than watching Wigan v West Brom.

What will make the game shite is a low scoring encounter with most 3 pointers failing to hit the target. Although it always amazes me to see American crowds go bonkers at the sight of a 7'6" freak jump 6 inches off the ground and slam dunk the ball into an unguarded basket and then hang on the rim for additional ATHLETIC effect. ???

I'd honestly rather watch the Celtics, Lakers or Bulls slaughter a side than watch a game between these two, because at least they'd be showing how it's done.

No shit.

But build it and they will come. This is a ground breaking moment in world sport. The NBA is playing a REAL LEAGUE GAME (two actually) in europe for the first time. Of course fans would like to see the Lakers but that was never going to happen in the first year. This is like two premier league teams - fair enough, Wigan and West Brom if you want - playing a league game in Beijing. Football fans out there would love it. With the shit storm that would be caused by a Prem League game going abroad, the first one is unlikely to be Man U v Arsenal. Remember the boo-hooing when a 39th game was even suggested? Well the NBA have just stuck two fingers up and gone and done it.

In 5 years time we will have an anchor tenant in London - that means an actual NBA team living at The O2. Believe it. NFL have tried to break into Europe but the sport simply doesn't have the mass appeal that NBA does here through the vid games, music, fashion etc. There are more hoops in inner cities now than f***ing football goals! I don't know what the buzz is in surry but in south London 'the kids' (of which I am not one) are wetting themselve about this. Fair enough if you don't fancy watching these two teams but its a pretty extraordinary event.

Hoping people have a shit time is also a bit harsh

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really mean I want people to have a shit time, but I'd happily see it fall flat on its face because I think people are being taken for a ride a bit. And I'm all for NFL/NBA European divisions to be honest, if there's a market for it.

And HKFC, the answer is clearly YES. What a numpty.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, you well might be though.

Suggesting the Celtics are bigoted.

images

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, you well might be though.

Suggesting the Celtics are bigoted.

Oh, for fucks SAKE...

Celtic FOOTBALL CLUB played Rangers on Tuesday. It turned into a pitched battle, on and off the field. The media has been ALL OVER it for three days, and there has been lots of debate on here about who is to blame, from John 'Ministry of Defence' Reid, to Neil 'Gobshite' Lennon, etc. The debate became very DULL, with the usual suspects such as Jimbo GRFC, and ATFC peddling their stock boring answers.

At the mention of Celtic(s) on this thread, I made a JOKING reference to it.

I apologise for (your) confusion, and promise to add a smiley to all sarcastic comments in future.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Is carrying a bit of an injury but still worht seeing live that's for sure.

Hopefully DeRozan grabs a few monster dunks during the night to show case his talents.

Im hoping so too. some real ugly dunks that make the crowd go ouch. Should be a good evening.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh, for fucks SAKE...

Celtic FOOTBALL CLUB played Rangers on Tuesday. It turned into a pitched battle, on and off the field. The media has been ALL OVER it for three days, and there has been lots of debate on here about who is to blame, from John 'Ministry of Defence' Reid, to Neil 'Gobshite' Lennon, etc. The debate became very DULL, with the usual suspects such as Jimbo GRFC, and ATFC peddling their stock boring answers.

At the mention of Celtic(s) on this thread, I made a JOKING reference to it.

I apologise for (your) confusion, and promise to add a smiley to all sarcastic comments in future.

I apologise for the misunderstanding then.

Jokes are normally funny so that's probably why I missed it ;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ive tried watching Basketball and to enjoy it but its so dull, Its the worst American Sport by some way in my view.

It satisfies the american psyche of basically requiring points diarohhea to make a sport "exciting". Thats why football will never, ever take off over there. Most of them just cannot handle the concept of a 0-0, or a single goal deciding a game.

A goal has such a wonderful RARITY value in a game of soccerball, which is why they are so wildly celebrated when they go in - it really is chuffing HARD to score. How the f*** can you wildly celebrate the 83rd basket on the way to a 111 - 104 victory, when some 7 foot freak lopes up and nonchalently dunks the ball in for the 44th time in his sleep ?

Shit sport.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It satisfies the american psyche of basically requiring points diarohhea to make a sport "exciting". Thats why football will never, ever take off over there. Most of them just cannot handle the concept of a 0-0, or a single goal deciding a game.

A goal has such a wonderful RARITY value in a game of soccerball, which is why they are so wildly celebrated when they go in - it really is chuffing HARD to score. How the f*** can you wildly celebrate the 83rd basket on the way to a 111 - 104 victory, when some 7 foot freak lopes up and nonchalently dunks the ball in for the 44th time in his sleep ?

Shit sport.

It's quite amusing the fighting and bickering that goes on between US and UK sports fans.

The rest of the world seems to enjoy both sports.

But the two forementioned nations fans seem to throw up ignorant people who throw up rubbish analogies of both sports in some kind of childish one upmanship.

I reckon both sports are great to watch for different reasons.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's quite amusing the fighting and bickering that goes on between US and UK sports fans.

The rest of the world seems to enjoy both sports.

But the two forementioned nations fans seem to throw up ignorant people who throw up rubbish analogies of both sports in some kind of childish one upmanship.

I reckon both sports are great to watch for different reasons.

I've perceivered with NFL and really enjoy that now (especially if I've got a bet on)
I reckon I could get into baseball if I had to, would actually like to go and see a game live
Ice Hockey (ok, more Canadian) I can see why people can get into it. Personally I can never see the puck, and the constant stream of contrived fake fights are fairly tiresome, but it has its merits.

But basketball - sorry. Just leaves me absolutely cold. Scoring should be difficult, but in that sport, its simply routine. The big shock occurs when one of those monsters somehow DOESN'T plonk it through the hoop. I appreciate there are obviously skills involved and they are hugely talented players, but as a spectacle, its akin to watching someone peel a potato.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But basketball - sorry. Just leaves me absolutely cold. Scoring should be difficult, but in that sport, its simply routine. The big shock occurs when one of those monsters somehow DOESN'T plonk it through the hoop. I appreciate there are obviously skills involved and they are hugely talented players, but as a spectacle, its akin to watching someone peel a potato.

Which is how a lot of people feel about watching a sport that ends up 0-0.

I mean a sport that has a fair chance of ending without a winner seems rather pointless to a lot of people.

Regardless, I enjoy both sports imensely, I still play both.

From a viewing point though I prefer basketball simply for the fact that even in a dull game there's still some entertaining action going on.

A dull game of football and it's like watching Pong.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Which is how a lot of people feel about watching a sport that ends up 0-0.

I mean a sport that has a fair chance of ending without a winner seems rather pointless to a lot of people.

Regardless, I enjoy both sports imensely, I still play both.

From a viewing point though I prefer basketball simply for the fact that even in a dull game there's still some entertaining action going on.

A dull game of football and it's like watching Pong.

But basketball is the same thing over and over, I cant see how it isnt boring.

I Like the MLB, NHL and I can see why people like NFL but it just takes to long to finish a game.

Baseball is brilliant as you can sit in the sun drinking all day.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But basketball is the same thing over and over, I cant see how it isnt boring.

I Like the MLB, NHL and I can see why people like NFL but it just takes to long to finish a game.

Baseball is brilliant as you can sit in the sun drinking all day.

I had to chuckle when you said baseball is brilliant and basketball is the same thing over and over.

Maybe to appreciate basketball one has to play it to fully understand it's not a simple game nor is it the same thing over and over.

Basketball is very much like the NFL in that each team runs many different plays through different players.

If a team like Boston runs a play in the NBA you will have as a sample

a) Rajon Rondo slashing to the hoop
b) Ray Allen coming off a screen
c) Kevin Garnett posting up in the paint
d) Paul Pierce pump faking the shot and going to the FT line

There's a hell of a lot that goes on in a basketball game that is missed by the casual fan.

But that would be the same of an American who says soccer is shit. They don't know what they are looking at so can't pick out nor appreciate what it takes to do something within that game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here