Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangers gone into ADMIN (monkey tennis)

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Errrrrr..............it's generally known as 'the treble' !!!

okay, so it is, don't be bitter :lol:

05/08/2011 Single To Win No Domestic Trophies @ 13/8
Multiple Trophies
Rangers Multiple Trophies 2011-2012 Pending £20.00

24/07/2011 Single To Win Scottish Premier & Scottish FA Cup & Scottish League Cup @ 10/1
Multiple Trophies
Celtic Multiple Trophies 2011-2012 Pending £10.00

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Now the HMRC are stating that they were seeking administration not because of the potential £75m tribunal but due to £9m unpaid VAT and PAYE in the 18 months SINCE the takeover.

Given the recent raising of £20m against future season ticket sales (what idiot did due diligence on that and decided it was a good idea to lend??) and the sale of their best player for £7m, this sounds like a cynical asset strip - particularly as Whyte is apparently saying that he expects to still control the club minus the debts out the other side of the administration.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Now the HMRC are stating that they were seeking administration not because of the potential £75m tribunal but due to £9m unpaid VAT and PAYE in the 18 months SINCE the takeover.

Given the recent raising of £20m against future season ticket sales (what idiot did due diligence on that and decided it was a good idea to lend??) and the sale of their best player for £7m, this sounds like a cynical asset strip - particularly as Whyte is apparently saying that he expects to still control the club minus the debts out the other side of the administration.

BREAKING NEWS:

the £24m against future ticket sales "not visible in the accounts" according to the administrator

Can see some jail time coming up and the future of the club as a going concern looking far from assured.
Would the scottish clubs be able to afford relegating their star turn to start again at the bottom?
Will they be able not to?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
BREAKING NEWS:

the £24m against future ticket sales "not visible in the accounts" according to the administrator

Can see some jail time coming up and the future of the club as a going concern looking far from assured.
Would the scottish clubs be able to afford relegating their star turn to start again at the bottom?
Will they be able not to?

If things are as bleak as rumours have it, and as you say, given the financial "usefulness" of Rangers to other SPL clubs, I would say they are blatantly going to "do a Leeds", i.e. pay their creditors feck all and start over again in the same division. Even a 10-point deduction NEXT year isn't really going to hurt them, worst case scenario they finish a clear 2nd and get Europa League.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Bizarrely the administrator seems to be indicating that there is no immediately discernible reason why they haven't paid £9m due to HMRC and that £24m borrowed against ticket sales seems to have gone elsewhere (presumably one of Craig Whyte's other companies) . It also seems possible that the owner's company may not actually own it?

Still they have plenty of offers to buy the club out of admin and the players can look forward to picking up their (tax free?) wages this month as normal.

Certainly something rotten somewhere..........................

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
05/08/2011 Single To Win No Domestic Trophies @ 13/8
Multiple Trophies
Rangers Multiple Trophies 2011-2012 Pending £4m

24/07/2011 Single To Win Scottish Premier & Scottish FA Cup & Scottish League Cup @ 10/1
Multiple Trophies
Celtic Multiple Trophies 2011-2012 Pending £4m

If the Chairman at Ibrox had put these bets on, it would be problem solved :)

BBC News - Celtic hits back at Alex Salmond over Rangers comments

Alex Salmond, although I am loath to say it, seems to be right for once. I don't think Celtic get the fact that, without Rangers, the SPL would have even less point to it. I believe that the large wedge of cash that the SPL are going to get for TV rights next season is contingent on Rangers competing in the league.

I am sure that their survival will be fudged somehow, presumably Scotland have the same highly effective "right and proper" rules regarding club ownership as England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yet despite this, Ally McCoist still isn't sure that he'll need to sell any players. How can you owe £75m and not have to sell players? I seriously do not get football and bankruptcy.
How much is Ibrox worth? Are rangers really worth a lot less than Brighton (ie, for £75m you'd own rangers and all that goes with it etc)?

Ally was interviewed on SSN and asked if he trusted Craig White - while shaking his head he mumbled absolutely we need to do what's best for the club blah blah.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Alex Salmond, although I am loath to say it, seems to be right for once. I don't think Celtic get the fact that, without Rangers, the SPL would have even less point to it. I believe that the large wedge of cash that the SPL are going to get for TV rights next season is contingent on Rangers competing in the league.

I am sure that their survival will be fudged somehow, presumably Scotland have the same highly effective "right and proper" rules regarding club ownership as England.

I agree, Celtic are talking bollocks. Its called the "old firm" for that financial reason. They need each other, a bit like Gungans and the Naboo.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Seems to be a no brainer - without a competitive Rangers the market value of the SPL to TV companies and in turn potential sponsors and advertisers will plummet, so would inevitably impact on Celtic. Plus the other clubs who rely on income from decent gates (by Scots footie standards) for the Rangers matches will take a hit.

I agree - although all the signs are there of financial misdemeanours that would be fatal for most businesses I suspect there is too much at stake and can see some sort of fudge to keep Rangers viable.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Oh man, if Rangers go...and the SPL could end up being so shit they could join the EPL and that'll just mean alright football is being mixed with shite football...

Alex "seccessionist" Salmond will make sure neither club can ever relocate into a league south of the border

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Oh man, if Rangers go...and the SPL could end up being so shit they could join the EPL and that'll just mean alright football is being mixed with shite football...

We are hardly likely to let a team from a country about to vote on independence into our league.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To be honest, I am not sure exactly what Celtic are thinking when they state it won't have any effect on them (it's not like the above posters are onto some sort of insightful financial analysis that the Celtic board will have missed), but you can't really expect them to be saying any different can you? They aren't realistically going to come out and say "we want Rangers let off the hook, we need them too much", especially as they are effectively the big victim of Rangers' cheating the books over the years.

My personal opinion is that Celtic DO need Rangers (not necessarily a strong Rangers, but a Rangers) for the reasons people have said (i.e. overall interest in the league and therefore sponsorship etc), but worth remembering that the SPL TV deal is a drop in the ocean compared to the EPL, or even other avenues of revenue for Celtic. Rangers disappearing *could* lead to guaranteed Champions League group stages every year, a bigger interest from fans in more other matches throughout the season and other things. And I think the board will be basing their views on the idea that Celtic are a big club with history and fans worldwide, who won't disappear because there is no derby - so ticket and merch sales should carry on as you were.

Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into it - I think its being said well within the knowledge that it will never have to be substantiated, as Rangers will blatantly get more or less of the hook.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Players supposedly put forward a plan for top earners to take 75% cut, middle earners a 50% cut, and low earners 25% being considered overnight

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This doesn't sounds too clever

BBC Sport - Rangers director Dave King fears liquidation is

Rangers director Dave King fears the club will not exit administration and that liquidation is "inevitable".

In a statement, King said the club's owner Craig Whyte has "abused the loyalty of fans" by mortgaging future sales of tickets to Ticketus.

King also claims that Sir David Murray had no knowledge that proof of funds supplied by Whyte to purchase the club was secured by season ticket sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here