Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random thoughts about a random club

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
No, no, no. A real old-fashioned football ground, there was a great atmosphere when we played there. And that broken-down old station just outside (bet that's not still there) used to be the perfect starting place to the day out.

Several posts in and no mention of Robin Friday, one of the few (only) opposition players I'd want to see turn it on. A total genius.

Elm Park was a fun ground to go to.Reading West was the name of the station.I had the pleasure of seeing Robin Friday some people refer to him as "the best player you never heard of" .

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I hate Reading with a passion. Thieved our manager, Thieved our players, Pardew was an utter scumbag (Still is)
Their fans (All four of them) are smuggies & their stadium is one of the most boring soulless grounds i've had the misfortune of visiting.

My girlfriends actually from Bracknell & was brought up a Reading fan (Her grandad's one of the four).
However she's being converted to the light side :thumbsup:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
No, no, no. A real old-fashioned football ground, there was a great atmosphere when we played there. And that broken-down old station just outside (bet that's not still there) used to be the perfect starting place to the day out.

Several posts in and no mention of Robin Friday, one of the few (only) opposition players I'd want to see turn it on. A total genius.

this. elm park was a proper old fashioned ground. ramshackle stands, crumbling terracing, run-down part of town, pubs you dared not enter, angry locals... how football used to be

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They used to have a striker called Ray Hiron who played for them and netted quite a few (ex-Pompey) who was so thin he made Ian Mellor look like Arnold Swarzennegger.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I hate Reading with a passion. Thieved our manager, Thieved our players, Pardew was an utter scumbag (Still is)
Their fans (All four of them) are smuggies & their stadium is one of the most boring soulless grounds i've had the misfortune of visiting.

This.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We got Kevin Bremner from Reading. I remember him playing well against us for Millwall, I was really pleased when he signed. he did alright too, Nelson and Bremner were a fine front two.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How many other people anywhere have named a stadium after themselves?

C_67_article_2042024_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
good thing about elm park was it was so delapidated you could throw bits of it at there fans without much effort, alledgelly.
When we played them in 1986, two Albion lads got into the home end to celebrate our equaliser. It took the Reading "firm" about 10 minutes to realise they were taking the piss and by the time some tiny skin decided to approach, the police had waded in.

Reading will always be a two bob club even with their plastic stadium.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
random thought: madjeski was the first place i ever went through an unmanned turnstile

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oddly enough, WIGGY didn't name that stadium after himself. He gave the stadium away, so the Reading board named it after him. I've always thought it was all fairly commendable.

Unlike Kassam or Reynolds.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I loved Elm Park, went there 4 times to watch Brighton. Most memorable was 1986, we lost 2-1, great atmosphere, John Keeley played well, went in the back of my dads van with a few mates, home in time for Dempsey and Makepeace...great

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We had to play in our away strip at the Goldstone once because some utter tool at RFC decided that Reading should have an away strip of blue and yellow, which was obviously a
massive change from their usual blue and white :angry:

Didn't Paul Kitson actually manage a goal against them too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here