Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If that's the case then his contrract could by mutually teminated?
But that's the thing, mutually terminating a contract for a player they paid £47.5 million for and is on 300K a week, is a massive hit for FFP. I know Chelsea don't seem to care about that much. But even they must concede it would like throwing money down the drain.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sterling going to be first of many that expose Chelsea's flawed model. signing up players on long contracts they create huge problem when they go off the boil or simply not flavour of the manager. they might be about to amortise the price over 7 years, they cant let them go early without selling on for a large fee. and its not a one off, they cant start under-valuing one player, the replacement for Sterling will be in the same situation in a season or two seasons, along with the rest of their second squad.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
But that's the thing, mutually terminating a contract for a player they paid £47.5 million for and is on 300K a week, is a massive hit for FFP. I know Chelsea don't seem to care about that much. But even they must concede it would like throwing money down the drain.
but if you were Raheem on 300k per week, you surely would only go elsewhere if offered more!, or quite happily sit on the side lines earning money for nothing.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I wouldn't have thought he's going to leave at all - why would or should he? They've gone out and signed player after player, who aren't better than him, and ignored that he still functionally exists. Nobody will take on the contract they've given him, so now they've got a problem.

And as others have said, it's a problem they'd better start getting used to because it's going to happen a lot. Their haphazard and chaotic approach to squad building is going to get the punishment it deserves within the next year. What's also pretty extraordinary is that for all the money they've spent, only Cole Palmer is an asset and he only joined them so he can end up at Man Utd in a few years.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Sterling going to be first of many that expose Chelsea's flawed model. signing up players on long contracts they create huge problem when they go off the boil or simply not flavour of the manager. they might be about to amortise the price over 7 years, they cant let them go early without selling on for a large fee. and its not a one off, they cant start under-valuing one player, the replacement for Sterling will be in the same situation in a season or two seasons, along with the rest of their second squad.
Chelsea’s strategy at offloading seems to be letting the players rot on the bench or trying to sell them to clubs the player doesn’t want to go to.
Players like Sterling and Mudryk will sit on huge wages and think why should I be shipped out to Saudi.
The amortising ‘solution’ works for the first year or two but ultimately the annual amortised payments add up as do the wages.
The strategy is toxic financially and also from a player development and well being perspective.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I hope he stays there and bleeds them dry for the entire length of his contract. That'll teach them to operate like they do.
He's been doing that anyway, he's a new contract player. Bone idle. Waste of space. So glad a wanker is at a wankers team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jeff Stelling on Talkshite just said Sterling been linked to a move to the Albion :lolol:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Lukaku 330k a week, Sterling 330k a week, Chilwell 200k a week these lads are either going to need a big pay off to leave or there going out on loan or to Saudi.
Lukaku I think was put up in the shop window for 60/70 million last summer, 35 million this summer, next summer if he gets another loan they be lucky to get 15 million.
They maybe paying the new boys less per week but those 7/8 year contracts offer them a lot of security. Even they are going to be hard to shift.
The £180k per week players on 8 year contracts is the equivalent of a £288k 5 year deal that most clubs offer out. Isn’t going to be many desperate to get out as they won’t get that elsewhere if there not playing.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lukaku 330k a week, Sterling 330k a week, Chilwell 200k a week these lads are either going to need a big pay off to leave or there going out on loan or to Saudi.
Lukaku I think was put up in the shop window for 60/70 million last summer, 35 million this summer, next summer if he gets another loan they be lucky to get 15 million.
They maybe paying the new boys less per week but those 7/8 year contracts offer them a lot of security. Even they are going to be hard to shift.
The £180k per week players on 8 year contracts is the equivalent of a £288k 5 year deal that most clubs offer out. Isn’t going to be many desperate to get out as they won’t get that elsewhere if there not playing.
They seem to be using the 'constructive dismissal' technique for most of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope he stays there and bleeds them dry for the entire length of his contract. That'll teach them to operate like they do.
Indeed. It isn't as if he's refusing to play.

The new manager (who makes RDZ seem not-at-all flighty) has simply dropped him from the first team squad.

If they did that to me and then said 'we want to sell you' I'm not sure I'd even bother to reply.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not sure I agree with that, on his day his is unplayable and regardless of the situation he finds himself in at Chelsea he is a top top footballer imo who’d walk into most PL clubs if managed properly :shrug:
Poorly worded and I see what you're saying, but it isn't as simple as 'he's a better and more mature player', it's the whole sideshow that goes along with a player like that. In that sense we have got better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here