Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Raghead and a Paki

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
paki shop is no different to limey or ghetto blaster/wogbox as it relates to a common steriotype, or did.

Limey derived from Britains then monopoly on the international Lime trade and was originally a sceptic tank slang term for English Sailor.

I think context is all important regardless of what the leftwing Orwellian Thought police think.
Oooooooooh, so CLOSE to a sensible post. Only spoilt with the misplaced "left wing" comment when the truth is that there are plenty of people across the political spectrum who are guilty of this.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
These stories from three years ago are always a bit weird, in the sense that whatever a tw&t he was then, things may have improved. Then again, maybe not.

It's also a window into the attitudes that permeate the armed forces. You might hear some media savvy colonel tell you different, but they remain far more institutionally racist than the police, for example. Just seems to go with the culture.

I don't think everyone in the services is racist - but I do question whether those that aren't stand up and put their colleagues right when they hear this sort of thing.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm not affiliated to any particular political party/model, but I think his (Harry's) comments were pretty ignorant tbh. I appreciate that some people are totally fine playing along with prejudiced stereotypes, but it doesn't mean that it's right; & it certainly shouldn't be assumed that it's completely acceptable to treat all individuals in a similar way. I reckon a bit of respect & sensitivity would make our society feel a bit happier, quite honestly.. :shrug:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
paki shop is no different to limey or ghetto blaster/wogbox as it relates to a common steriotype, or did.

Limey derived from Britains then monopoly on the international Lime trade and was originally a sceptic tank slang term for English Sailor.

I think context is all important regardless of what the leftwing Orwellian Thought police think.

I didn't know that Guy Butters habitually doubts accepted beliefs.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Is now my favourite royal, does some proper good things fit girlfriend and these things just made me laugh is that wrong

No.....totally agree, hes just a normal lad, or as normal as he can be being a royal.
Im sure theres plenty worse things said between army lads. PC brigade need to lighten up a bit!!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's also a window into the attitudes that permeate the armed forces. You might hear some media savvy colonel tell you different, but they remain far more institutionally racist than the police, for example. Just seems to go with the culture.

I don't think everyone in the services is racist - but I do question whether those that aren't stand up and put their colleagues right when they hear this sort of thing.
who did you serve with ? when ?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I picked up my Father in Law from a pub where we was drinking with his forces colleagues. Here is a list of nicknames I encountered on the night.

Someone with surname Smith : Smithy
Some with surname King : Kingey
Somone with surname Bacon : Butty
Someone with surname Jones : Jonesy
Someone overweight : Pie Man

The fact someone from Pakistan is known as Paki does not surprise me in the slightest. Judging from people I’ve met in the forces the humour and nicknames are about as basic as you can get but rarely meant with any malice – Just a lack of thought – which in the forces isn’t necessarily a bad thing when you are tasked with following orders.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
who did you serve with ? when ?

Rather than waste time on that sort of defensive nonsense, why don't you try and make a case that racism is not endemic in the armed forces? Thought not. As it happens I do know a few people who are/were in the forces, and they do fit the stereotype. I wish they didn't, but they do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why the hell was Harry making a film? The biggest problem I've got about this sorry tale is that he made the evidence himself. Why?? He only has himself to blame for this.

I don't have any strong views on the incidents themselves because it is all about context. The "Paki" in question might well have called Harry a "Royal twat" to his face for all I know.

Surely we've all called friends names to their faces, albeit in jest, and I expect that is magnified in the armed forces because of the nature of that situation. We've all read about rituals and initiations involving humiliation, embarrassment etc, so the context of his words is what is important.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Rather than waste time on that sort of defensive nonsense, why don't you try and make a case that racism is not endemic in the armed forces? Thought not. As it happens I do know a few people who are/were in the forces, and they do fit the stereotype. I wish they didn't, but they do.
as is usual on NSC , people are spouting off with absolutely no direct experience whatsoever, as it happens , when i served over 20 years ago racism was indeed endemic, or it certainly was in my battalion, that is not the case now , in my old battalion or the rest of the army, and i say this from first hand experience.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why the hell was Harry making a film? The biggest problem I've got about this sorry tale is that he made the evidence himself. Why?? He only has himself to blame for this.

A good friend is a Captain in the Royal Engineers and they are generally encouraged to keep records/diaries/photos/videos, particularly in the early stages of their careers.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
as is usual on NSC , people are spouting off with absolutely no direct experience whatsoever, as it happens , when i served over 20 years ago racism was indeed endemic, or it certainly was in my battalion, that is not the case now , in my old battalion or the rest of the army, and i say this from first hand experience.

same as in society bushy mate. there are certain sectors of the media that love the fact they can knock the monarchy and the armed forces in one fell swoop, or at least posture to sell their moribund newspapers. there are few public institutions that have challenged racism and sexism, genuinely, over the last 20 years like the armed forces, but thats still not good enough for some, who love to knock.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
same as in society bushy mate. there are certain sectors of the media that love the fact they can knock the monarchy and the armed forces in one fell swoop, or at least posture to sell their moribund newspapers. there are few public institutions that have challenged racism and sexism, genuinely, over the last 20 years like the armed forces, but thats still not good enough for some, who love to knock.

I've just read an overview of all the national newspapers comment on the subject.

They are pretty much similiar in their tone and content.

No-one is knocking the army or the Royal Family, simply re-iterating what a bit of a prat Harry has been again.

If we can agree on one thing, we can feel sorry for those (as you mention) who have worked hard to challenge the impression of racism.

Unfortunately I guess a few are feeling like they are back to square one.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I've just read an overview of all the national newspapers comment on the subject.

They are pretty much similiar in their tone and content.

No-one is knocking the army or the Royal Family, simply re-iterating what a bit of a prat Harry has been again.

If we can agree on one thing, we can feel sorry for those (as you mention) who have worked hard to challenge the impression of racism.

Unfortunately I guess a few are feeling like they are back to square one.

fair post clapham. sells papers though doesnt it, this constant british anxiety about racism. what good it does society is questionable, when the stupid are pilloried by the equally stupid.

the only winners in this are the royals who know they tap into the national psyche far better than the press, arguably.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We have a Pakistani prop in our rugby team, He is affectionately known as Bin Laden, Taliban and Fat Paki........but he also calls himself these names and isn't the least bit offended by it. It's just mates having a laugh ! Not Racism !

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
i remember i had a friend who was like a quater indian or something and we were pretty racist to him. calling him korma boy, akmed, muhammed, bomber, a muslim, a Paki... i think he took it well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here