Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radiohead: Genius prog rock innovators or self absorbed pretentious sixth formers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is like being back in the sixth form. "Yes/Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Genesis etc are awesome/brilliant/innovative/creative etc". "No, they're not, they're awful/pretentious/dull/dreary/untalented/a mess etc"

Are we going to writing band's names on exercise books next?

Surely people like different forms of music - does it matter if one person likes Radiohead and someone doesn't?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Like the music a lot, pay no attention to anything they might say in interviews.

This is like being back in the sixth form. "Yes/Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Genesis etc are awesome/brilliant/innovative/creative etc". "No, they're not, they're awful/pretentious/dull/dreary/untalented/a mess etc"

Are we going to writing band's names on exercise books next?

Surely people like different forms of music - does it matter if one person likes Radiohead and someone doesn't?

Who died and made you head of the debating society? If people want to debate the relative merits of a major UK band then why shouldn't they?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Self-absorbed etc. Plus you might add dreary and miserable.

Funny how differently people listen to music.

I find them INCREDIBLY uplifting, almost spiritual at times.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon the same people who find Radiohead "miserable" and "dreary" would feel the same about Sigur Ros, who I also would count as one of the most uplifting bands ever.

Saw them live at London Hammersmith Apollo, it was incredibly moving.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
alexandra palace for me, watching them behing a wall of cascading water. utterly incredible.

radiohead is why i love music.

I was referring to Sigur Ros, assuming you were too? Have seen both bands multiple times, Radiohead are a massive influence.

in the deepest ocean
the bottom of the sea
your eyes they turn me
why should i stay here?
why should i stay?
i'd be crazy not to follow
follow where you lead
your eyes they turn me
turn me into phantoms
i follow to the edge
of the earth and fall off
everybody leaves
if they get the chance
and this is my chance
i get eaten by the worms
and weird fishes
picked over by the worms
and weird fishes
i hit the bottom and escape

Jan 30, 2008
in the deepest ocean
the bottom of the sea
your eyes they turn me
why should i stay here?
why should i stay?
i'd be crazy not to follow
follow where you lead
your eyes they turn me
turn me into phantoms
i follow to the edge
of the earth and fall off
everybody leaves
if they get the chance
and this is my chance
i get eaten by the worms
and weird fishes
picked over by the worms
and weird fishes
i hit the bottom and escape

chemical lyrics :shrug:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
On a friends top recommendation, I have tried many times to listen to them. I think I have 3 albums - but, the music just doesn't mean anything at all to me, it raises no emotions, no feeling .... nothing. I could not name a single track, and I never recognise a track from one listen to the next.

Love Floyd though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
+1 for Pink Floyd right here. Fantastic band.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've not bothered to read all of this, but for what it is worth I think they are a very special band. As an aside, I really like Thom's solo album as well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They can be serious folks but I saw a clip of them live and during one of the quieter tracks an audience member shouted "Cheer up Thom, ya miserable fucker". He stopped playing and then performed a few bars of the song that goes "Don't leave me high, don't leave me dry"on his acoustic guitar in the upbeat style of George Formby. Made me chuckle.

I can take or leave them personally buy quite enjoy some of their stuff.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Really like the first three albums, great works of music with splendid progression in each album. Just lost interest with Kid A found it all to pretentious. The Bends and Pablo Honey are always albums i go back and listen to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here