Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I get the opportunity to listen to the Radio at work.

I cant believe some of these radio presenters are actually having debats about this poor little girl that got snatched, and are calling the parents irresponsible for leaving their children. This should be a debate for a later time, not now.

Apparently the complex they stayed at is meant to be secure.

These presenters should shut the f*(K up.

Its scary that there are so many sick perverts around these days. I dread to think what could have happened to this little girl.

God knows how the parents must be feeling at this time and my thoughts and feelings go out to them.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
I think everyone is saddened by what has happened and hopes she will be returned safely. However i agree with the radio presenters, who leaves 3 very young children on their own just so they can have a couple of extra pints. :nono:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The radio presenter is only saying what a lot of other people are too. Sad as this is, it was totally avoidable.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
adrian29uk said:
Apparently the complex they stayed at is meant to be secure.

My house is 'meant to be secure' I still don't leave my children alone, not because I'm worried about them being snatched (though I am!) but if the place caught fire? If my daughter woke from a night mare? If my son needed a drink of water? If he fell out of bed?

It is the wrong time to say they were irresponsible (and they are) and I truly hope this awful incident has a happy ending and Madeleine is found safe and well somewhere, but if this had not been two doctors and instead a single 21 year old mother I wonder if so many people would so quick to say "now is not the time to berate the parent"

The truly tragic thing is losing a child is the single most painful thing that can happen to a parent. But to lose a child from your own hand in a completely avoidable situation such as this? I can't even imagine. Those parents will be beating themselves up in a way a radio presenter or the media can't even come close to. :(

Last edited:

Re: Re: Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Starry said:
My house is 'meant to be secure' I still don't leave my children alone, not because I'm worried about them being snatched (though I am!) but if the place caught fire? If my daughter woke from a night mare? If my son needed a drink of water? If he fell out of bed?

It is the wrong time to say they were irresponsible (and they are) and I truly hope this awful incident has a happy ending and Madeleine is found safe and well somewhere, but if this had not been two doctors and instead a single 21 year old mother I wonder if so many people would so quick to say "now is not the time to berate the parent"

The truly tragic thing is losing a child is the single most painful thing that can happen to a parent. But to lose a child from your own hand in a completely avoidable situation such as this? I can't even imagine. Those parents will be beating themselves up in a way a radio presenter or the media can't even come close to. :(

A sensible and accurate assessment of the whole sad situation.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
if it was a young single mum and not so called " responsible parents" she would have been hung out to dry by now.

Sorry must learn to read above posts....couldnt agree more.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Re: Re: Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Starry said:
It is the wrong time to say they were irresponsible (and they are) and I truly hope this awful incident has a happy ending and

classic.

I don't think it has anything to do with their jobs. You just know that there for the grace of God .................. it can go wrong from choice of child-minder, baby-sitter, friends of friends that come into contact with your child, after-school clubs, nurseries, letting them go down the shop on their own - these are all danger areas - but 99.999999999 percent of the time it is fine. Because the vasy majority of people keep an eye on other people's kids - whether they know them or not.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Dick Knights Mumm said:
classic.

I don't think it has anything to do with their jobs. You just know that there for the grace of God .................. it can go wrong from choice of child-minder, baby-sitter, friends of friends that come into contact with your child, after-school clubs, nurseries, letting them go down the shop on their own - these are all danger areas - but 99.999999999 percent of the time it is fine. Because the vasy majority of people keep an eye on other people's kids - whether they know them or not.

Absolutely. You try and do the very best for your children. I don't believe that leaving three children aged three and under alone in an apartment or anywhere for any length of time is a good parenting choice on any level.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Starry said:
Absolutely. You try and do the very best for your children. I don't believe that leaving three children aged three and under alone in an apartment or anywhere for any length of time is a good parenting choice on any level.

............. children are generally left alone in their rooms overnight. In big houses bedrooms can be a long way from living rooms. To me it just isn't black and white. They didn't help themselves - but they were desperately unlucky. And most of us with older children will just be relieved that our children made it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think where Starry's analysis falls down is that every parent at some stage does something which under the slightly moralising heading of 'good parenting' is probably not up to the mark.

But, happily, 99.99 per cent of the time people get away with it. In this case that has not happened. I'm not sure what is to be gained by slaughtering the mum and dad in this case, they will be beating themselves up anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Again, I read comments that only make me wish I was able to lead lives as perfect as some.

I took Mads swimming at my club yesterday afternoon and, when I got to the entrance barrier, I swiped my card. Unusually though Mads rushed though the turnstyle ahead of me. The security system is clever enough that if the same card is swiped shortly after it does not permit entrance so I was stuck on the other side of the turnstyle. Excited by the prospect of swimming, Mads ran ahead, round a corner and out of sight. By the time the receptionist had let me through and I gave chase, Mads had gone through one set of double doors, past all the squash courts, though another set of double doors and was running through the club room/bar area. I'd be telling fibs if I said that the current story dominating the headlines didn't lead to a slight sense of panic in me as I pursued my little girl.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bozza said:
Again, I read comments that only make me wish I was able to lead lives as perfect as some.

I took Mads swimming at my club yesterday afternoon and, when I got to the entrance barrier, I swiped my card. Unusually though Mads rushed though the turnstyle ahead of me. The security system is clever enough that if the same card is swiped shortly after it does not permit entrance so I was stuck on the other side of the turnstyle. Excited by the prospect of swimming, Mads ran ahead, round a corner and out of sight. By the time the receptionist had let me through and I gave chase, Mads had gone through one set of double doors, past all the squash courts, though another set of double doors and was running through the club room/bar area. I'd be telling fibs if I said that the current story dominating the headlines didn't lead to a slight sense of panic in me as I pursued my little girl.

We've debated this to death on the other thread Bozza, but your example is totally different to the case in hand. If anything, god forbid had happened to your daughter, it would have been an complete accident. She got away from you an a manner that has happened to us all at sometime. The parents here deliberately left their kids unnattended.

Its not the same thing.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
I think where Starry's analysis falls down is that every parent at some stage does something which under the slightly moralising heading of 'good parenting' is probably not up to the mark.

But, happily, 99.99 per cent of the time people get away with it. In this case that has not happened. I'm not sure what is to be gained by slaughtering the mum and dad in this case, they will be beating themselves up anyway.

Quite and I am sure I do things for/with my children that others would think was not good parenting.

But children are too important and too precious to leave alone so I can go and have a dinner with friends a few hundred metres away in a completely separate building. If I knew a neighbour of mine had left their three babies alone at home unattended I'd be calling the police/nspcc on them.

I read yesterday about an eleven year old girl who was left alone for a morning and burnt the house down, social services and the like are now involved in that case. I don't see why this case is any different.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
We've debated this to death on the other thread Bozza, but your example is totally different to the case in hand. If anything, god forbid had happened to your daughter, it would have been an complete accident. She got away from you an a manner that has happened to us all at sometime. The parents here deliberately left their kids unnattended.

Its not the same thing.

Sorry, I was not connecting the two. I was saying something like:

A) We have some wonderfully perfect parents on here. Which is great.

and, unrelated to that:

B) Because of what is going on in Portugal right now, when Mads ran away yesterday I felt more panicked than I would have normally.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The media would have crucified them for such irresponsibility if they'd been a couple of lower social standing. As it is, the media have been very restrained to date.

Whether the girl is returned or not, I can't see any other outcome than that family imploding at some point down the line. Once the dust has settled the couple will surely blame one another for the decision they took, and when the kids are older they could come to resent the parents for what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here