Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio (Live) coverage of BHAFC

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
But at least there is still the option of Seagulls Player, albeit it at a cost, but it is there. Nothing is free, not even the BBC #£12amonth

Sorry I meant for "free", free being in the sense that I don't pay anything over what I have to pay whether or not I listen to local radio :)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I often listen to the BBC Sussex coverage on my phone via the TuneIn Radio app. I guess that works anywhere, and not just in Sussex. Would that help you?

Does it work during the match? It used to drop out to a non-league match (used to be Crawley, I think Eastbourne now) as it feeds off the BBC online stream which doesn't put out the match commentary. May have changed though!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I often listen to the BBC Sussex coverage on my phone via the TuneIn Radio app. I guess that works anywhere, and not just in Sussex. Would that help you?

Similarly the BBC does FA cup commentary via the web, whereby you can listen to any game you like. The agreement for the league prohibits this, but if changed, could solve the problem of expats that wish to rely solely on the 'free BBC', and unwilling to invest in Seagulls Player.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry I meant for "free", free being in the sense that I don't pay anything over what I have to pay whether or not I listen to local radio :)

Sadly, there is no free option here then, if you don't allow for the £12 a month you already pay.

Similarly the BBC does FA cup commentary via the web, whereby you can listen to any game you like. The agreement for the league prohibits this, but if changed, could solve the problem of expats that wish to rely solely on the 'free BBC', and unwilling to invest in Seagulls Player.

Expats overseas have loads of restrictions on what they can and can't view or hear online with the BBC, iPlayer is heavily restricted, football goal round ups, BBC radio feeds, many items are broadcast exclusively for the UK, and UK regions. Then again, expats don't pay the license fee, so there is no reason for them to be able to receive BBC content.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I guess there will always be multiple frequencies, as there are at the moment, BBC Sussex broadcasts the Albion, BBC Surrey broadcasts Aldershot/Woking or whoever. With the mergers I imagine this will still be the case.

The nightmare scenario is the BBC only covering one game which is broadcast on all frequencies in the region , one week Brighton , one week Southampton , one week Gillingham , one week Crawley/Aldershot. :ohmy:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So if it is FREE in Sussex why am I forced to pay to listen because I am 200 miles away??? I pay my license fee to BBC, why am I descriminated against? I am sure there are many more 'expats' annoyed at this?

because its LOCAL radio

don't recall any LOCAL radio stations with a reach of 200 miles!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The nightmare scenario is the BBC only covering one game which is broadcast on all frequencies in the region , one week Brighton , one week Southampton , one week Gillingham , one week Crawley/Aldershot. :ohmy:

unlikely. the BBc is extremely committed to local radio (its their baby after all)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep I am in same boat.

Get bloody dumbass Hampshire radio and can't get BBC Sussex online.

Is annoying.

I get Radio Sussex clear as a bell, on my car radio, 25m West of you.

It does mean I have to sit on my drive to listen to away games, which the neighbours might find a tiny bit odd.

I like it though. I sit in the car, with a mug of tea, and my iPad (the wi-fi, happily reaches) away from the kid's scrapping in the house, and concentrate on the game.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
If you pay a license fee or not is irrelevant.

Anyone in the sussex area can pick up BBC Radio Sussex on a F.M. radio for free.

You ONLY pay for a LICENCE to legally own equipment that can receive and decode television broadcast signals.

A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). The radio licenece was abolished in 1971

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Not sure which frequencies are the Albion but BBC Sussex broadcasts from these transmitters:
Whitehawk Hill (Brighton): 95.3FM
Newhaven: 95.0FM
Burton Down (Near Chichester): 104.8FM
Horsham: 95.1FM
Heathfield: 104.5FM

So if you have a decent car radio or radio with a quality aerial the signal coverage is pretty good.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You ONLY pay for a LICENCE to legally own equipment that can receive and decode television broadcast signals.

A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). The radio licenece was abolished in 1971

"Within the United Kingdom the BBC is funded principally by an annual television licence fee, which is charged to all British households, companies and organisations using any type of equipment to record and/or receive live television broadcasts"

That is the entire BBC that is funded by the TV License Fee. Sure, if you don't have a TV and can prove it, and therefore don't pay a TV Licence, then you are getting free BBC radio. Other than that, by virtue the fact you are paying your TV Licence Fee, you are paying for BBC Radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here