Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio (Live) coverage of BHAFC

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hell man I know its a bloody tax but, it's dressed up as a fee for free tv set down in legislation. I know legislation can get pissed on but we can also get pissed off at being ripped off!!!! I feel a lawsuit coming on under legal aid.

Who are you going to sue? The BBC or the Football League or both?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Who are you going to sue? The BBC or the Football League or both?

Sue who said sue? I want a judicial review of the legislation in relation to artificial geographical restriction to free BBC content as 'promised' under the government in exchange for a fixed liscence fee. Not much to understand there is there?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sue who said sue? I want a judicial review of the legislation in relation to artificial geographical restriction to free BBC content as 'promised' under the government in exchange for a fixed liscence fee. Not much to understand there is there?

The Football League allow commentary on games as long as it is in the locality only. All they would do is withdraw that and there wouldn't be any commentaries except for Talksport or 5Live.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

A i said earlier in the thread, this has nothing to do with the BBC, it is the FL who license the commentary to the BBC, and they dictate how it can be broadcast.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Perhaps you could suggest how the BBC could service the needs of yourself and all the other expats in you town.say(for an example) you live in Rotherham.
BBC radio Rotherham would broadcast commentry of Rotherham at home to who cares,whilst simultaniously broadcasting on 45 other frequencies every other game that saturday,add another 24 games in scotland for the haggis munchers among you,and how about the N.I. contingent.

Every poxy radio station would have to boadcast on 80 different frequencies at the same time.there is not sufficient F.M. bandwidth to put Talk Sport on F.M. let alone find space for this.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The Football League allow commentary on games as long as it is in the locality only. All they would do is withdraw that and there wouldn't be any commentaries except for Talksport or 5Live.

Well if that is the end result tough, why should someone who never attends a game at Brighton or away but who lives in Steyning be able to listen for free? Why should a household in Eastbourne be able to listen for free when others who live outside the locality have to pay yet its on the BBC???!!!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Perhaps you could suggest how the BBC could service the needs of yourself and all the other expats in you town.say(for an example) you live in Rotherham.
BBC radio Rotherham would broadcast commentry of Rotherham at home to who cares,whilst simultaniously broadcasting on 45 other frequencies every other game that saturday,add another 24 games in scotland for the haggis munchers among you,and how about the N.I. contingent.

Every poxy radio station would have to boadcast on 80 different frequencies at the same time.there is not sufficient F.M. bandwidth to put Talk Sport on F.M. let alone find space for this.

Bullshit, the BBC market their own DAB enthusiasically as national coverage.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
FFS, direct your anger at the FL, it has f*** all to do with the BBC.

You are missing the point. The BBC take my money under government legislation to provide free to air products yet they are closing deals that effectively cuts out 'expats' from Sussex. If the BBC can cut commercial deals with a third party that effectively discriminates against a large portion of the population, in direct contrevention of the 'caveat' of free to air, what about that is so hard to understand is discrimantory?

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
What you can pay for is also not free to people in Steyning,a bloody dodgy internet stream but you buy that from BHAFC not the BBC,the BBC spends it's money on local services for local people that is why it bothers to broadcast local football to local people.Not the BBC's fault you moved to join dad at Bradford.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You are missing the point. The BBC take my money under government legislation to provide free to air products yet they are closing deals that effectively cuts out 'expats' from Sussex. If the BBC can cut commercial deals with a third party that effectively discriminates against a large portion of the population, in direct contrevention of the 'caveat' of free to air, what about that is so hard to understand is discrimantory?

No they are not. The FL offers a product, the BBC buys it. The product you want is not available to the BBC. Just like chocolate covered ferraris with 4 pairs of tits are not available from Aldi. It ain't available, the BBC cannot buy it, it does not exist. No discrimination, no contravention of anything. You don't always get what you want.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
What you can pay for is also not free to people in Steyning,a bloody dodgy internet stream but you buy that from BHAFC not the BBC,the BBC spends it's money on local services for local people that is why it bothers to broadcast local football to local people.Not the BBC's fault you moved to join dad at Bradford.

Raymond Briggs you are the sort of person I would never want to meet, not becasuse you disagree with me at all. you seem to delight in trying to rile! Local people? Ask how many people you live next to were born in Brighton. I was born there, in Brighton, I am not going to try to deffend my life to you on why I have to live where I am living. The reality is that I have to. My situation or argument hasn 't changed. You views are myopic, self interested and frankly, pathetic.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Raymond Briggs you are the sort of person I would never want to meet, not becasuse you disagree with me at all. you seem to delight in trying to rile! Local people? Ask how many people you live next to were born in Brighton. I was born there, in Brighton, I am not going to try to deffend my life to you on why I have to live where I am living. The reality is that I have to. My situation or argument hasn 't changed. You views are myopic, self interested and frankly, pathetic.

Or just pointing out the practical reasons WHY it would not be possible or reasonable for the BBC to broadcast for your(and other BHAFC fans in your area)benefit.
How many BHAFC fans live near you ?
How Many Crawley?
How many Queen of the South?
How many Lisburn(no-not f***ing Portugal)?
how many Ayre United?

How can you expect the BBC to keep every fan happy?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With cuts to the BBC budget , local radio may not be so "local" as regions are merged. What will happen if they merge sports radio coverage from Hampshire , Surrey , Sussex and Kent into a mega BBC Southern Counties Radio ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Ok so given the the Football League are very unlikely to change their rules on licensing to local radio and online coverage (largely because it lets them sell the same product more than once) the only result I can see from challenging the BBC on this is that the BBC no longer broadcasts local sport on local radio. To me that sounds like the worst possible solution.

Also it's not a technical restriction or a practical one to do with frequencies, it's just the terms of the license agreement with the Football League. That's why some games are broadcast on 5 Extra, because the Beeb have paid extra to have those games (or more likely a selection of games) available nationally instead of just locally.

Yes it sucks that you can't get it because you live away from Sussex, and it irritates that me that I can't stream it to my phone if I'm not home in time to get the radio on. However those are the terms of the FL license and I'd rather have it available to some than none.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
With cuts to the BBC budget , local radio may not be so "local" as regions are merged. What will happen if they merge sports radio coverage from Hampshire , Surrey , Sussex and Kent into a mega BBC Southern Counties Radio ?

I guess there will always be multiple frequencies, as there are at the moment, BBC Sussex broadcasts the Albion, BBC Surrey broadcasts Aldershot/Woking or whoever. With the mergers I imagine this will still be the case.

Yes it sucks that you can't get it because you live away from Sussex, and it irritates that me that I can't stream it to my phone if I'm not home in time to get the radio on. However those are the terms of the FL license and I'd rather have it available to some than none.

But at least there is still the option of Seagulls Player, albeit it at a cost, but it is there. Nothing is free, not even the BBC #£12amonth

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I often listen to the BBC Sussex coverage on my phone via the TuneIn Radio app. I guess that works anywhere, and not just in Sussex. Would that help you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here