Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio breakfast shows

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Classic fm anyday, still listen on line a lot now.
But I must admit to some talksport on line.
The only stations worth listening to here are Triple J and the good old ABC.
Listen to these while driving around as no internet in car.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Usually listen to Moyles on R1 on my way to work as they do make me laugh sometimes. Alternative choice is usually Talksport or occasionally SFM.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I can't get Virgin here and that US station looks a bit ROCK to me, and it's not much help if I can't set my alarm to wake me up to it.

I did used to listen to O'Connell when he was on Xfm and didn't mind him. Shame I can't get Virgin to try it out BUT they're just another arm of Global radio now so will inevitably be playing all the same tripe

if you can bear medium wave reception, you can get virgin nationally on 1197 and 1215 i believe

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm not doing AM radio, it's terrible.

Anyway, Virgin is gone. Replaced with Absolute Radio

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i have to say that there ISNT a good radio station to listen to, they are all shit, Radio 1 is just the cock going on about himself all the time, radio sussex is just so f***ing dull and boring, southernfm is just full ao adverts and the same music every hour, much rather listen to the birds than any of that shit

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
i have to say that there ISNT a good radio station to listen to, they are all shit, Radio 1 is just the cock going on about himself all the time, radio sussex is just so f***ing dull and boring, southernfm is just full ao adverts and the same music every hour, much rather listen to the birds than any of that shit

Quite right, you've got it spot on there. And this is the trouble. In the States you could twiddle your FM dial and pick up all sorts of different genres of station from contemporary rock to country to bluegrass and swing. I don't understand why we in this country have a choice of the BBC's output and ONE other broadcaster that has a complete monopoly over the entire of the nation's airwaves. It simply isn't right or fair.

The problem is I do need the radio to wake me up each morning, I just wish there were some decent alternatives

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Radio 4 & 5 all the way

Same.

Chris Moyles ranks right up there with that Nicky woman from Southern FM in terms of people I'd least like to be stranded on a desert island with. Just the sound of their voices makes me want to :shootself

Commercial radio is for the most part 'pop' led and for that reason I can't stand it, and I begrude the fact that there's virtually no choice. Juice Fm seems to be one of the best commercial stations out there to me, if for no other resaon than Sunday afternoons, with Afrobass being a real highlight for me.

Internet radio is pretty damn good here : http://wfmu.org/table IMHO of course.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite right, you've got it spot on there. And this is the trouble. In the States you could twiddle your FM dial and pick up all sorts of different genres of station from contemporary rock to country to bluegrass and swing. I don't understand why we in this country have a choice of the BBC's output and ONE other broadcaster that has a complete monopoly over the entire of the nation's airwaves. It simply isn't right or fair.

The problem is I do need the radio to wake me up each morning, I just wish there were some decent alternatives

Absolutely spot on ! :thumbsup:

It's a disgrace the way commercial licences are handed out. I have to stay up until all hours to get a proper choice of music on FM radio in the shape of the superb Late Junction programme on Radio 3.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Someone else has already mentioned it, but I really really recommend BBC Radio 6 - interesting and varied playlists, decent djs (Guy Garvey [Elbow], Sean Keavney in the morning, Adam and Joe, Mark Riley) and no adverts. Go on, give it a go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
BBC 6MUSIC all the way.

Adam and Joe
Jon Richardson

By far the best station.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Sunday was the Nadir of broadcasting on Radio and TV for me.

I had 5 live on in the shower in the morning. Gaby Logan was interviewing Nicki from Big Brother ‘fame’ about being anorexic. Apparently, Nicki did some gymnastics years ago and was a bit thin. So they proceeded, on a supposed sports program, to yap on about women’s issues in a whiney I hate myself and my fat arse way for a full 15 minutes. Thank god the news came on (albeit late) as they were that close to talking about period pains and I had a razor in my hands by this point.

Then in the evening, Beat the Star was on the TV. I’ve never seen this program before and would rather smash my TV to a thousand pieces than ever watch it again. All I saw was some random bloke banging nails into a bit of wood for 60 seconds. At the end of this TV event Vernon Kay announced to everyone’s delight that random man had managed to bang in 19 nails. He was then mobbed as if he had scored the winning goal in the FA cup final before whoever the supposed star was shouted into the micro phone about what a great competitor he was. Banging nails in wood. Prime time TV? Still, why am I surprised, I saw Musical chairs on Ant and Dec’s TV takeaway not so long ago. That’s even before we get onto a load of lesbians running around after a ball and calling it women’s football.

On the original point, Kerrang is good in the mornings but you will need to live in the Midlands or have a digital radio and Kate Lawler at drive time is absolutely awful.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Listening to the radio in the car on the way to work I have BBC Sussex on between 6am and 7am and between 6pm and 7pm going home.

Would prefer to listen to Five Live but the reception varies between good, bad and awful between Eastbourne and Haywards Heath making it unlistenable for most of the journey.

Can't stand Radio 1 as the music is generally awful and Southern FMs adverts every five seconds really get on my wick.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
BBC Six is a good station but I don't have a digital radio so it's only any good on the computer, and doens't help me wake up in the mornings unfortunately.

Hannibal Smith, I've never heard of this banging in nails programme. Sounds like it could be even worse than the one where "celebrities" try to fit through a hole in a moving foam wall though.

What has broadcasting come to in this country?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Moyles does my head in, whenever I have listened to him. I rate Scott Mills much more highly as a presenter.

Then again, I don't really listen to breakfast shows because I'm rarely awake in time! :yahoo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here