Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism watching The Albion

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I for one would NEVER dream of imitating a monkey noise coz someone is "BLACK!!" :censored:

I have a relative who is coloured (mum and dad was mixed race marriage) and some stories he told me was unbelievable.

This is in the Brighton area and having to keep a baseball bat by the front door!! WHAT? ?

If I was at a match and heard it, I wouldnt give two thoughts about going to a steward or a copper to get em removed.

I don't want it just as much as Im sure the majority dont either!!

:censored:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Keiron and I confronted some low lifes who thought it was funny to abuse Brentfod's black players the night we lost 4-0 up there on the telly.

Trouble is as with most things in life, everyone else around us looked away or pretended to be reading the program

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I've confronted it every time I've heard it, which, I 'm happy to say, has only been very, very occasionally. I'd say our fans are in general very anti racist. The general shouting down of the idiots who statrted that anti Izzet chant in our end at Col U springs to mind...a good moment, that.
Where there are problems it seems to be people who only come to games
occasionally.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I don't think it's football related. Some people are just racist so they'll still be a racist at a footbal match the same as they'd be a racist whatever else they do.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I got called a honky in Luton as I went back to my car.

But from our POV i think we're pretty well behaved. I remember watching a game last season (at Withdean I think) and the lino was wearing a huge turban. Despite the ease at which anyone could have taken the piss regarding he ethnicity, especially given his decisions, all abuse was restricted to him being blind and generally crap.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Faldo said:
I got called a honky in Luton as I went back to my car.

But from our POV i think we're pretty well behaved. I remember watching a game last season (at Withdean I think) and the lino was wearing a huge turban. Despite the ease at which anyone could have taken the piss regarding he ethnicity, especially given his decisions, all abuse was restricted to him being blind and generally crap.

Thats linesmanist. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Reading, first game of this season.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
I heard some Albion 'fans' suggest that Zamora's goals for the us don't count because he was black, same thing was suggested about Knight. These are regular people who go home and away.:( , I've got there card marked and will wait my chance to grass them up at some point.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Anyone else remember the game against Norwich in our 1st season in the old Div. 1 (1979/80) season. Justin Fashanu was playing for Norwich and the stick he was getting from all parts of the Goldstone was unbelieveable, banana's thrown, shouts of 'Roots' everytime he touched the ball,monkey noises, the whole lot, he must of been in tears at half time. Gave the west & south stand the 'V's when he scored. Yet still signed for us 5 or 6 years later.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
With regard to Paddy i still dont get it. If it racist purely because it identifies people from a country, then anything that is said about any person from any country is racist !?!

Does that mean we are all racists ???

Were all those films from the forties with paddy, jock & taffy, racist ?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
At Wolves at home this seaosn there was a lot of chinese takeaway references made to their chinese player which I would say are racist.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tinx said:
At Wolves at home this seaosn there was a lot of chinese takeaway references made to their chinese player which I would say are racist.

Quite right, some of it was pretty nasty too. All from people who most would say should know better.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
paddy isnt racist. the word **** associated with a term unique to a particular origin makes it a racist sentiment.

I.e. "in my opinion, i consider you to be a **** because you are a paddy".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bloody PC. "Paddy" is not racist. "Paddy Twat" is not racist. Irish and English are the SAME f***ing RACE. end off.

If you want to insist on a definition of racism that covers nationality, or split hairs over English/Irish ancestry, then all you achive is to devalue the meaning of "racism". You make everyone a racist (you try and find someone who never made a derogatory remark about a person or people from another country), which means it becomes acceptable.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bristol Rovers V Albion in 1994/95 season - we lost 3-0 at their gaff and Brighton 'fans' were monkey chanting the Rovers centre forward... wankers

Crewe away this season was the last time I hear Seagulls fans at it. You'd hope we'd all grown beyond that stuff, but sadly not.

The whole Monkey chant thing will be around for a good few months now in England, as the Morons see it as a tool of agitation, which they then use to satisfy their need for attention.

Anyone who sat in the West Stand seats at the Goldstone will have experienced blatant racist insults being hurled at Brighton players. I was shocked at ) the amount of animosity shown towards Afro-carribean players, and b) the profile of those shouting them all of whom looked like otherwise pillars of the local community.

In the nineties it was Robert Codner who got most of them. Nowadays I have to sit in front of people who are so pissed off with Leon Knight during games that their comments almost border on racist.

And whilst they don't actually say the words but you can tell by the way they say what they say that the thought is there. :angry: :angry:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
When i used to stand on the west terrace as an 11 year old, I remember a group of lads being there a couple of times who, whenever the opposing team's black substitute warmed up in front of us, would shout:

'what do we want?'
'white power'
'when do we want it?'
'now!'

Being the age i was at the time, i didn't think much of it though from my old man's disapproving remarks i knew they were wrong.

Its only looking back now that I realise how far we have come. They were right at the front, so literally yards away from the targets of their abuse yet the stewards didn't do anything. If this happened today, I think the reaction of fellow supporters and matchday staff would be entirely different (or at least I hope).

Last edited:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Last time I heard anything was at Leyton Orient a few years back. One of their subs was warming up in front of us and everytime he passed us the bloke in front made monkey noises. I told him to cut out the racism and he said he wasn't being racist and that he would make monkey noises whatever the colour of the subs skin. A few others then had a go at him and he left.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
At a Cambridge away match a few years ago there was a bloke next to me being really vicious to a linesman who only had part of an arm (possibly Thalidomide). I was getting angrier and angrier, but only finally said something to him when a Cambridge player got injured and he started singing, 'Your wog's been taken off.'

Unfortunately, I was so incensed, I forgot nearly every word I know in the English language, and could only say, 'Do you mind?' Although I think the tone of my voice spoke volumes. He just said back to me, 'No, not really.' But he did shut up after that. The interesting thing was, he was with a gang of about four or five blokes, none of whom supported him, and they all kept fairly quiet for the rest of the match.

In fact, I'm shaking with anger again as I type this...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here