Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism claims prove to be utter nonsense

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~2482327,00.html

Real weird one, turns out to be very like that Millwall incident with the f**kwit journalist thinking 'Seagulls' was Seig Heil. Now 'Seasiders' sounds like 'Sheepshaggers'?

What troubles me about this whole episode is that one idiot TV viewer can cause all this trouble without at any stage someone checking the facts (ie watching the match video).

The report went in one newspaper, and got picked up everywhere else. Will the Mail be printing an apology for the stain on the club's reputation? I doubt it somehow.

It never fails to amaze me that something like this is allowed to happen.

Think of all the homophobic abuse that we have had hurled at us week after week for years yet nothing is said or done. Palace supporters at the Amex being the latest to resort to this. CCTV should be able to identify them and help prosecute the guilty - maybe then it will stop.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Worth a bounce and perhaps sticky after the drama of the last few days!

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
So surely it was actually the TV viewer's prejudices that caused him to hear sheepshagger instead of seasider? Nasty racist... :S

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Feb 14, 2010
Is sheepshaggers to a welsh team racist? If so then Brighton might be innocent this time but are serial offenders as its been a regular chant to a Welsh team, and a west country team for the last 25/30 years that I have been following the Albion. As such the BHA website makes for an amusingly hypocritical read. English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish humour has always been about slagging each other off, as has terrace chants - and yes it is meant to offend, and yes people are supposed to grow a thick skin as well as see the funny side, and that is called growing up. There is a line between racism and slagging each other off for humour. However it sounds like that is changing. The makers of Monty Python said the other day that they couldn't make that great film these days for fear of offending people. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are right. Maybe the Albion fans were not chanting that the other week at Bellamy but if it were Cardiff or Swansea or Wrexham it would have been a different story. Perhaps the Scottish anthem, the one running with English blood should be banned and the whole Scottish nation taken to court for racism against us.

Political correctness has ruined much of the joy of life.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can someone near the south stand not record the gay song bits from the away supporters tomorrow and report it to the pc police?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It never fails to amaze me that something like this is allowed to happen.

Think of all the homophobic abuse that we have had hurled at us week after week for years yet nothing is said or done. Palace supporters at the Amex being the latest to resort to this. CCTV should be able to identify them and help prosecute the guilty - maybe then it will stop.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but was that investigation based on one complaint lodged by somebody watching on tv.

If that was the case then I would like the same person to sit with us on any away game we play & listen to the racism
we are subjected to.

Feb 14, 2010
Forgive me if I'm wrong but was that investigation based on one complaint lodged by somebody watching on tv.

If that was the case then I would like the same person to sit with us on any away game we play & listen to the racism
we are subjected to.

Mate, you are not subjected to anything, try and laugh along with "we can see you holding hands". Its funny, yes it is abusive to someone, but so was Monty Python.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Is sheepshaggers to a welsh team racist? If so then Brighton might be innocent this time but are serial offenders as its been a regular chant to a Welsh team, and a west country team for the last 25/30 years that I have been following the Albion. As such the BHA website makes for an amusingly hypocritical read. English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish humour has always been about slagging each other off, as has terrace chants - and yes it is meant to offend, and yes people are supposed to grow a thick skin as well as see the funny side, and that is called growing up. There is a line between racism and slagging each other off for humour. However it sounds like that is changing. The makers of Monty Python said the other day that they couldn't make that great film these days for fear of offending people. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Yes it certainly does mate. It's a crap world where you can't make jokes anymore, isn't it ?! Do BHA fans get really upset by our 'gay' reputation ? No! we take it on the chin and respond with 'sheepshaggers' and land in trouble!! go figure !!

Feb 14, 2010
Is there any chance of DM printing an apology, or do they only do that when someone starts legal action against them?

Why should they, BHA fans might not have sung sheepshaggers this time but they have for the last 30 years!.. and I say this as no friend to the daily diana

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Is there any chance of DM printing an apology

You're forgetting that the Daily Mail refused to apologise following its publication of the wrong verdict in the Amanda Knox appeal - and the fact that it had published an entirely fictitious story complete with fabricated quotes...

Scum of the earth and a disgrace to the profession of journalism? I think so.

http://www.malcolmcoles.co.uk/blog/daily-mail-guuilt/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here