Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rachel Reeves to reveal £20bn shortfall left by Conservative Government

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The house is legally owned by the owner and has been paid off at some point by parents.
I’m talking about an average house in an average street in Sussex, who when it’s time to pass on the family home to our kids, who we’ve lived their formtiave lives in that house, I don’t want them, when they sell it, to lose an even bigger chunk to the government. We’ve paid, NI, PAYE, car tax, etc on everting we buy our whole life, and we then have to make our children pay IHT on assets we have worked hard for when we die????
Why should they? It’s no ones money apart from theirs, if we say it is, as it is our asset!!

Children
Like VAT and charitable status on private schools its a form of state sponsorship of the British class system.

It ensures inequality is entrenched through the generations, wealthy parents get to pass their wealth down tax free to the kids. They then enter the housing market high on the parents supply, outpricing poorer kids.

Tax the dead, its the living that need a break.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem with the Conservatives is they eventually run out of other people’s money to hand over to their mates

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jan 96 to Dec 23.

IMG_4288.png

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The house is legally owned by the owner and has been paid off at some point by parents.
I’m talking about an average house in an average street in Sussex, who when it’s time to pass on the family home to our kids, who we’ve lived their formtiave lives in that house, I don’t want them, when they sell it, to lose an even bigger chunk to the government. We’ve paid, NI, PAYE, car tax, etc on everting we buy our whole life, and we then have to make our children pay IHT on assets we have worked hard for when we die????
Why should they? It’s no ones money apart from theirs, if we say it is, as it is our asset!!

Children
Under current rules, if you and your spouse / civil partner leave your assets to each other in your wills when the last surviving person dies , their Nil Rate inheritance tax band will be £1m including the Residential Nil Rate Band.

So your children will pay IHT (currently at 40%) on assets worth £1m or more. While alive, you can make gifts to children and others up to £3k / year without affecting IHT liability and gifts more than that are subject to taper tax relief depending when they were made.

* I'm not a tax adviser, I've just researched this as my mum's house is being sold to pay her care home fees.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I’m not wealthy, I’m just hard working and aspirational.
I wanted a better life than what was on offer at the time: Council House. I didn’t go to university, I got 4 o levels.
It was in Thatchers Britain in 80’s, growing up in Scotland where they hated her, even more than down here.
Aspiration and opportunity. That’s what I grasped from that time and that’s what I instill in my kids today.
Not big state and take from those who want do well and achieve.
If you take from achievers and wealth creators, they will leave and take their wealth and creation somewhere it is appreciated and embraced as a force for good, not as a sponge to be continually squeezed.
Your story is similar to mine. But I did go to University in the early days of Thatcher’s Britain. As a 5 O Level, state educated, non sixth form kid my background was very different to most.

What I grasped is always question everything, and that aspiration is very different to entitlement.

People defend entitlement with their last breath and the greatest entitlement is inheritance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But that doesn't take in to account the relative value of the money in 1996. Those numbers don't look too far out from the national numbers (though higher I agree)

RPI is 1.95x higher than 1996. Sauce: BOE.

In real terms, today’s first time buyers would be paying £76k for a flat in Brighton and Hove, £123k for a terraced home. Easy to see how most 20 to 40 year olds are up **** creek.

IMG_4290.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Children
IHT already exists. I do not have an issue with it and I do not have an issue if anyone decides to increase this. I know all the arguments for both sides, but feel it's an appropriate tax.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Maybe they could aspire to work hard to emulate those who started with nothing yet earned and saved to buy a home.
World of work has changed. Millions of people do work hard - they have to in order to keep their jobs and hit 'performance targets' - but their wages and salaries don't increase to reflect their hard(er) work.

The only people who benefit from you or I working harder are our bosses and/or shareholders.

The idea that hard work = wealth and success, and that being poor = laziness, is just lazy (offensive) Right-wing propaganda intended to denigrate the poor, and put the rich on a pedestal; to justify obscene inequality.

Do you know that 48% of people who claim welfare benefits are in paid employment, but their wages are so low, that they can claim financial support to survive. Do their low wages mean that they are lazy - or that their employers are not paying them properly?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Like VAT and charitable status on private schools its a form of state sponsorship of the British class system.

It ensures inequality is entrenched through the generations, wealthy parents get to pass their wealth down tax free to the kids. They then enter the housing market high on the parents supply, outpricing poorer kids.

Tax the dead, its the living that need a break.

I hate it when people still refer to things like ‘the class system’, not least because this tends to perpetuate it when 99% of people have long moved on.
BUT I think your last statement is spot on. IHT never hurts the people who worked hard to earn their ‘estate’, only those who might inherit it but have done nothing to earn it. Seems fair to me.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'm always stunned by how angry the 96% of people who will never pay Inheritance tax get about it :shrug:
And that the people who are so angry about IHT or VAT on private school fees never seem to be angry about how many people have become reliant on Food Banks due to inadequate incomes.

The motto that so many people seem to live by is "Love and protect the rich, hate and punish the poor."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here