Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Rachel Reeves to reveal £20bn shortfall left by Conservative Government

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A friend's Mum recently had to go into a care home because of dementia, her house is being sold to pay for her care. The house is only worth £275,000, the weekly bill for her care is £1,600. That money isn't going to last long so what happens after it runs out. It wouldn't surprise me if her family were pressurised into pay towards it.
If the family want her to stay in a private care home they would have to pay. Otherwise the council/social services pick up the tab if her wealth is below a certain level and it would provide accommodation.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If the family want her to stay in a private care home they would have to pay. Otherwise the council/social services pick up the tab if her wealth is below a certain level and it would provide accommodation.
Another looming "black hole" is the diminishing ability of local councils to fund care for the elderly. Here in Somerset the cost of such care has ballooned in the past few years and the council is in the process of cutting back on whole swathes of other services to help it meet current and future care costs. Libraries, swimming pools, sports fields, public loos....all being closed. One reason is that under the last government councils have only been able to raise Council Tax by a max 5% pa (even when costs have been going up by much more...esp in recent years). This is happening all over the country, and will only get worse as our population ages.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
So where are the council dementia care homes in Sussex? My Dad went into a privately run home 14 years ago, it was a lovely place and his care was brilliant. It was nearly half the cost of another nearby home which we really didn't like. The council wouldn't pay them the amount they charged people paying privately but sending as many of council funded people as they could. No surprise they just couldn't stay open so now I guess people have to go to the crap expensive home. The council run care home (no dementia care) was closed down some time ago.

Social services went through all Dad's finances and told Mum they would leave her with so little money she would be entitled to Pensions Credit. So they were happy to drive her into poverty.

Another friend's aunt, born and lived in a council flat all her life, when she had to go into care the council tried to pressurise the family into contributing to her care.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A friend's Mum recently had to go into a care home because of dementia, her house is being sold to pay for her care. The house is only worth £275,000, the weekly bill for her care is £1,600. That money isn't going to last long so what happens after it runs out. It wouldn't surprise me if her family were pressurised into pay towards it.
That seems expensive although, having said that, my Mum passed away two years ago, and prices rise. Her care home was £800 a week.
Her state pension, NHS pension, and attendance allowance came to roughly £600 a week, so only £200 a week was coming out of her house sale.
Hopefully, your friend looked around as care homes differ quite widely in costs.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My late mother in law, who had dementia went into a very nice private nursing home in Chichester in December 2021. She was also deemed to be in need of nursing care so there was an uplift in fees to cover this, however, the NHS-funded Nursing Care contribution covered this so the effect was no actual increase in fees. I understand this is normally the case. The nursing home will carry out an assessment when a new resident arrives and will apply for the FNC if appropriate.
She had one of the no frills smaller rooms, which was more than adequate for her needs and was well equipped. She was of modest means and had limited capital, but this was sufficient to pay her fees until she died in May of this year. As her funds were rapidly diminishing to the amount that an individual is allowed to keep (£23,250), we were starting talks with WSCC and the home re her financial position. She also had a monthly income of approximately £1900 including Attendance Allowance. At no time were we pressured into the possibility of us topping up her fees and the council would become responsible for paying the balance of fees, when her funds fell below the threshold. The manager of the nursing home was very confident that she wouldn’t have to move to another home once the council took over part funding, but sadly she passed away before any of that came to pass.
I may be waffling on a bit, but I’m just pointing out that it isn’t always the case that someone in care is automatically moved out of the original home, if and when their funds diminish.
I hope all goes well for your friend’s mum.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
That seems expensive although, having said that, my Mum passed away two years ago, and prices rise. Her care home was £800 a week.
Her state pension, NHS pension, and attendance allowance came to roughly £600 a week, so only £200 a week was coming out of her house sale.
Hopefully, your friend looked around as care homes differ quite widely in costs.
I think you are well out of touch on costs my friend.

Mum and Dad had to have a live in carer to start with - cost £1600 per week and they had pay for the carers ruddy food.

Now both are in care homes.
Dads with Dementia care £7100 per month, plus small bits such as incontinence products.
Mum just standard care £5900 per month, plus bits.
An aunt, in care £6500 per month.

Believe me, it ant cheap. Funnily enough, one of the care homes said, off the record, that council funded residents get same care but council will not pay that much so those paying privately help subsidise people with no assets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you are well out of touch on costs my friend.

Mum and Dad had to have a live in carer to start with - cost £1600 per week and they had pay for the carers ruddy food.

Now both are in care homes.
Dads with Dementia care £7100 per month, plus small bits such as incontinence products.
Mum just standard care £5900 per month, plus bits.
An aunt, in care £6500 per month.

Believe me, it ant cheap. Funnily enough, one of the care homes said, off the record, that council funded residents get same care but council will not pay that much so those paying privately help subsidise people with no assets.
As I said, this was just two years ago. The choice was Hove, Telscombe, and Hailsham. Even rooms within the care home had different prices ie a seaview room in Hove was £200 dearer.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Pretty much the same round our way, especially for dementia care.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
So the BOE have cut interest rates to 5% and The cost of living is subsiding.

So who is going to be brave enough to say that Hunt and Sunak were on the verge of turning around the economy?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So who is going to be brave enough to say that Hunt and Sunak were on the verge of turning around the economy?
If they were, why did Sunak call a July election?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If they were, why did Sunak call a July election?
Another mistake by Sunak - not that the overall outcome would have been (very) different.

If he had gone for October/November, Farage would not have been involved either (he would have been in USA with Trump) and the traction that Reform got wouldn't have happened.

Whoever advised Sunak to go for July was an incompetent fool.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

There really is no point in making statements like this on this forum that has degenerated into an extreme left wing rag over the last couple of years.

Whatever happens in the future I hope the Labour Party succeed in their good intentions for the sake of normal people in the country. ( There aren't many of those who post on here ).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There really is no point in making statements like this on this forum that has degenerated into an extreme left wing rag over the last couple of years.

Whatever happens in the future I hope the Labour Party succeed in their good intentions for the sake of normal people in the country. ( There aren't many of those who post on here ).
There is absolutely NO substance to the rumour that it was to be rebranded Left Wing Chat .

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
So I think we can all agree Hunt and Sunak plan was working, how will reeves
Another mistake by Sunak - not that the overall outcome would have been (very) different.

If he had gone for October/November, Farage would not have been involved either (he would have been in USA with Trump) and the traction that Reform got wouldn't have happened.

Yep, Labour had all their luck in one go.
That won't happen again in 5 years, as inflation will be on the up with the left driving Reeves and Starmer to spend, with the weak negotiation skills with the unions it will be very interesting to see how they screw up the GP's action.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I personally believe that there were many incompetent fools advising Sunak on many different things

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And, as he didn't push back, that makes Sunak an incompetent fool.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North

I would agree, hopefully this left wing rag might be waking up to the bigger picture, they may feel it's a handful of people who are sick of the leftie lawyers and how they have changed Britain, but most down to earth people will know Brits have had enough.
Yes you have the idiots from the far right, but you can never totally eradicate them.
Britain and labour will certainly get their CHANGE they voted for, imo with great horror and disappointment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would agree, hopefully this left wing rag might be waking up to the bigger picture, they may feel it's a handful of people who are sick of the leftie lawyers and how they have changed Britain, but most down to earth people will know Brits have had enough.
Yes you have the idiots from the far right, but you can never totally eradicate them.
Britain and labour will certainly get their CHANGE they voted for, imo with great horror and disappointment.
Having worked with lawyers, please tell me how I can identify a lefty from a righty?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here