Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rachel Nickell murder.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd love to meet Colin Stagg to apologise.

I once had one of those horrible moments (in my case on the tube) where you see someone and can't quite place them, wondering whether you were at school with them or had seen them on television. In the process you stare a little too much and you put their reaction down to either they are used to it being famous, or there are seriously freaked out because there aren't :lolol:

Anyway - that was Colin Stagg sitting opposite me one morning on the Northern Line.

Seriously happy for the man, without forgetting what happened to that unfortunate women and her family on Wimbledon Common.

Just goes to show that the judicial/law enforcement system in whatever country often brings up completely the wrong person. Made me instantly think of the bloke from Liverpool and the posters on here who said things like "no smoke without fire", "he was convicted by a jury" etc.. etc....

A peaceful Christmas to Colin Stagg, probably the first one he's had in years. No idea what his eventual compensation payout was, but f***ing hell - if this weekends lottery went to him I wouldn't begrudge him a penny.

Another peaceful Christmas to the Nickell family, who I hope are now a bit further down the line in closing a horrible chapter in their lives too.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How much is enough when you have been accused of murder?

There is a great disparity when it comes to compensation payments. Army personnel can receive much less for losing a limb..?

When you think about the amount of safe convictions, I would say I do trust the police. They got this one wrong, but they have got many right. Apart from that, it is a single police force and perhaps had a poor chief?

Besides, didn't Stagg lead them on a bit?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Besides, didn't Stagg lead them on a bit?
Who knows? But if I'd been hounded for months on end, and it had started to look a little bit like a fit up, I think I too would lose patience with fuckwitts running the investigation.

The lack of accountability in the police forces these days seems to me to be in stark contrast to the social workers/doctor in the Baby P case who have understandably been strung up and/or sacked where appropriate. The police just seem to be able to carry on in their merry way. It really does grate with me, personally.

And the want to keep INNOCENT peoples DNA. :annoyed:

Why not? If they found some DNA on a body and suspected that it might be mine I'd be very happy if they already had mine on file to compare - assuming I was innocent, of course.

And what if a previously innocent person did later commit a murder and leave his DNA - would justice not be served by having his DNA on file leading to a quick solution to the case?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The police just seem to be able to carry on in their merry way. It really does grate with me, personally.

One of the officers who was involved received something like a hundred grand compensation for suffering "post traumatic stress" after this case as well.
Gotta love this country havn't you.

They found a small spot of DNA which was dismissed at the time.

Not quite. They foundf a small spot of DNA which, with the procedures available at the time, was not enough for analysis and so was put in storage in the hope that it could be analysed in the future. With the development of DNA analysis since then, it has now become possible to analyse tiny specks of DNA material, and it was shown to be Napper's.

The lack of accountability in the police forces these days seems to me to be in stark contrast to the social workers/doctor in the Baby P case who have understandably been strung up and/or sacked where appropriate. The police just seem to be able to carry on in their merry way. It really does grate with me, personally.

Well, indeed. In fact, the Baby P case is a very good example of the way those involved in the criminal justice system can get away with just about anything. The police officers who investigated the original case of cruelty/neglect (prior to the death) and the CPS staff who decided not to prosecute were also heavily criticised following the convictions for murder - but did any of the tabloids jump up and down screaming for them to be sacked? Were, indeed, any of them censured or disciplined? Nope. Not one of them. The social workers got it in the neck, but the police and the prosecutors can continue in their jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here