Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quiz question

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have been doing a quiz (no prizes involved) and got stuck on one question.
Can anyone help?

What is the only sport where the defending team are always in possession of the ball and the attacking team can score without even touching it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
I have been doing a quiz (no prizes involved) and got stuck on one question.
Can anyone help?

What is the only sport where the defending team are always in possession of the ball and the attacking team can score without even touching it?

Cricket?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'd been told cricket was wrong (the opposing team does touch it albeit with a bat)

I'll try American football; thanks

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yep. it's a safety. It's when the ball carrier grounds (or is grounded) behind the goal line. It's worth 2 points BTW and is sometimes done deliberately for tactical reasons.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
In Cricket you can get runs for byes; no-balls and wides where the opposition may not have touched the ball.

Isn't a 'safety' where the attacking team grounds the ball in their own in-goal area?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That's why I thought cricket was the answer, Jim. I think the question may have been worded badly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Only flaw in the American Football suggestion is that the attacking (offense) team have the ball and the defence tries to get it from them. Apart from that-it's a perfectly good suggestion;)

Cricket sounds a better bet to me.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
In American football, the defending team aren't always in charge of the ball though, are they!

Think about it...

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
What about something like bowls?

Not that I'm familiar with the rules, I just thought I'd throw in a wildcard...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought you couldn't run in baseball unless you hit it?
I don't know much about baseball.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yorkie said:
I thought you couldn't run in baseball unless you hit it?
I don't know much about baseball.
I think if you get 3 foul balls (not strikes because they were too low/high/wide kind of like a noball in cricket) everyone can move one base around.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be precise you can only run if you hit the ball and hit it 'fair'. That means that the ball must not drop to either side of he playing area although if you hit out of the far end that's a Home Run.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Scarface said:
I think if you get 3 foul balls (not strikes because they were too low/high/wide kind of like a noball in cricket) everyone can move one base around.

I can see that (similar to half a rounder in rounders) but the question says the only sport

I should get an answer this evening so will let you know.

I have typed in American football for now.

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Definitions:-

The DEFENSE (or DEFENSIVE) is the team, or any player of the team, in the field.

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight. A fair fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on fair or foul territory at the time he touches the ball. If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if the ball settles on foul territory or is touched by a player on foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit. Clubs, increasingly, are erecting tall foul poles at the fence line with a wire netting extending along the side of the pole on fair territory above the fence to enable the umpires more accurately to judge fair and foul balls.

The batter becomes a runner when_ (a) He hits a fair ball; (b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out; When a batter becomes a base runner on a third strike not caught by the catcher and starts for the dugout, or his position, and then realizes his situation and attempts then to reach first base, he is not out unless he or first base is tagged before he reaches first base. If, however, he actually reaches the dugout or dugout steps, he may not then attempt to go to first base and shall be out. (c) A fair ball, after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or after having been touched by a fielder, including the pitcher, shall touch an umpire or runner on fair territory; (d) A fair ball passes over a fence or into the stands at a distance from home base of 250 feet or more. Such hit entitles the batter to a home run when he shall have touched all bases legally. A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only; (e) A fair ball, after touching the ground, bounds into the stands, or passes through, over or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to advance two bases; (f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to two bases; (g) Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases; (h) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

Quite simple, really.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here