Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quite a good review from Carlisle's local rag.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Blimey! A proper newspaper article! I remember those from when I was a lad....................................

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A bit wordy for a T shirt slogan but I love

"....Such is the relentless quality of Gus Poyet’s team that you can become the first visiting side to find the way to their net three times in 2010/11 and still leave with nothing."

If I wasn't so intrinsically attached to my signature, I would consider replacing it with this quote.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Now the ball-hogging hosts were displaying their full range. Inigo Calderon tested Collin with a 25-yarder, Murray wasted a Noone cross, and Marshall’s airborne shot from a rare Carlisle foray was borne of growing frustration. There were times in the first half when it seemed like United’s players must have felt like staying out there for the interval, in order to be reacquainted with the round thing.

:lolol:

However my all time favourite is still the one from the Evening Standard 21/10/2005:

'For Palace fans, getting beaten at home by Brighton is as bad as it gets. For reasons totally unfathomable to the rest of the football nation, the two sets of supporters detest each other with a passion rarely seen outside the Balkans.'

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
There is the small matter of the page being fairly constantly updated, and that the byline wasn't there on the first few editions.

I emailed the sports department earlier complimenting them on there Journo's efforts but pointed out that they forgot to put his name on it! So it definitely was not there earlier.

Bleedin good report!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Speaking as a former sports editor, I can confirm that is indeed a quality piece of writing. And let's face it, the most stylish team in League 1 deserves writing about by someone with a flair for language.

Can you write about us every week? :jester:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Class acts those Cumbrian journalists. Here is the reply I received from their sportsdesk after complementing that report.

Dear Mr MacKenzie,

Many thanks for your kind comments - which mean more when voiced by 'the opposition'!

I will pass on your kind words to Jon Colman who will undoubtedly be pleased with your views.

Sadly, I suspect you will not be reading our reports next year when you are playing in the Championship!!

Cheers,

Neil

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd sent an email to Jon last night, and directed him to this thread. Got this email reply from him just now...

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for your kind words and those of your fellow Seagulls. Very humbling.

Your team were a joy to watch on Saturday.

Cheers and best wishes,

Jon

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think I'm going to cry. Lovely response.

:mexican:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Maybe if enough of us contacted him, he could move down here and report on every one of our games.

Spoke to him on Wednesday and thanked him for his report that was about two teams playing football and being able to describe it in an artistic way. He sounded a decent and honest guy,you don't get many of them in the press. Shearer/Crooks you could learn alot from this guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here