Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the over 42s...

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
We have moved on from the 70s and 80s, but that was a good time to be a younger Albion fan. Never forget the old North Stand.

Great fun.

TB

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Having watched The Albion since 1966 the last 18 months have been very special and the current sense of anticipation feels similar to the late '70s, however we haven't yet matched those heights. So its the 70's for me.

OK we flirted with Div 2 around 1971 but from about '76 we went from being mainly an average third division side to being consistent contenders at the top of the third then second divisions - and playing some cracking footie. We suddenly started to beat First Div sides like West Brom, Derby, Forest and Wolves in the Cups. Crowds were often 25k plus because we hadn't experienced that sort of consistent form and potential plus we had Peter Ward who was very special and he alone put bums on seats. When Lawrenson came in we had probably the best player ever to play for the Albion, his effortless elegant defence inspired the team. To see him put in brilliant sliding tackles come away with the ball and turn defence into attack week after week was a privilege. We had a big name manager in Mullery and the style of footie was very attractive. I think it helped it was an era when several so called 'big' Clubs were playing in the lower Divisions (West Ham, Spurs, Bolton, Southampton, Sunderland) but they held no fears for us plus there was the upsurge in rivalry with Palace to get the juices flowing. OK it took time to become established in the First division and sadly sold one or two key players otherwise we might have stayed up a bit longer but the crowning glory was the '83 Cup Final which we so nearly nicked having really competed with Man U. Glory days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Then, purely on the fact we reached the FA Cup final and at the time it was the greatest cup competition in the world.

When we won at Highbury against Sheffield Wednesday it was, to this day, the greatest day in the history of BHAFC in my view.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fair point. We also talk of the changes. The ball it self is a total different animal these days. He also talked of the change to the hoof ball in the 70's, when some tactician work out that most goals are score with in three touches of the ball.

Charlie Hughes I believe... Cambridge Utd being disciples of his word.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
At this current moment in time I have to go for the 70s/80s but the gap is getting smaller by the month if we keep up the standard of performances (in general ignoring the odd game like Watford) then it won't be long before the present becomes better especially if we get promotion and dont get completely humilated.
The futures bright the futures Brighton and hove Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I have ever seen a season that was as enjoyable as our romp from the 3rd division under Mullery. The League One championship season, on occasions, ran it close particularly the away games at Charlton and Peterborough which was as good as I've sever seen us play away from home.

My memories may be a bit fuzzy but I seem to remember us being pretty well unplayable at home in the early days of Ward and Mellor, If you arrived 5 mins late, you'd probably missed a goal, but I seem to remember us being a bit shakey away from home.

This season could bring the excitement levels to just as good as the year we got promoted to the old division 1 but we need to get promoted for me to accept that these are possibly better days.

It's a close call, can I rethink at the end of this season?

However I think it safe to say that our potential now is better than it was back then.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Then, but a very close one to call.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The first time is always the best, but nostalgia can be an easy way to distort actual history.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
the biggest disappoint was never really properly felt. we got relegated with what was a pretty decent team, but it didn't seem to matter cos we were in the cup final and nothing else existed. i loved those days as a youngster - but I had no dark days to compare them with. the rise of the Albion since 97 has been extraordinary and the ride we are on now seems to be just as, if not more, exciting. Although i would add that the half season from Christmas 96 to Hereford was, for me, by far the most intense of any albion era.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Then, purely on the fact we reached the FA Cup final and at the time it was the greatest cup competition in the world.

When we won at Highbury against Sheffield Wednesday it was, to this day, the greatest day in the history of BHAFC in my view.

totally agree with this with the caveat today we have a beautiful ground, and a pitch you could allmost play snooker on (wardy played on pitches that at times resembled ploughed fields)
but still danced round defenders who looked like they where nailed to the floor

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Hasn't been surpassed for me, yet! Brilliant day out. I remember driving back into Brighton and people were out on the A23 entering Brighton waving their flags!

Doncaster at home last season came close just for the enormity of it all.

Camicus

NOW Im only 42 so just scrape in. If I supported any other club in the country it would be then but after the highs and lows of the last 20 years I cant belive how far we fell then rose again. I love watching the Albion nowdays I love the Amex I love being a club that is forward thinking I love our style and Im loving Bruno

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
to early to compare -

effectivly for comparion "now" is 77/78 season the promotion season to the topflight and the preceeding 3/4 years of ding-dongs with palace

the next 5 years will be the ones to compare with "promotion to cup final"

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A lot of people say 'there's never been a better time to be a Brighton fan', and if you're under 35, I guess that statement might well hold true.

But we had a meteoric rise in the late 1970s powering our way from the Third to the First Division, where we stayed for four years, and reached the FA Cup Final. My memories of those days were little more than 'Peter Ward is Magic'.

So taking that into consideration, would those who remember the giddy days of the late 1970s and early 1980s say that NOW or THEN is/was the best time to be a Brighton fan - or maybe even another period (mid to late 1950s...?)

Just curious, like.

Footballing , the late 70's to early 80's pissed over anything we have done in the last 3 years , absolutely no comparison at the moment. We won a poor 3rd division and came midtable in the second division compared to promotion, 4th, promotion, 4 seasons in top division and fa cup final. :shrug:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
For me it was more exciting, probably just as much because of my age.

From what I recall every game was exciting, Peter Ward scored the winner in every game, Brighton's own Bosun fought off every attack from our friends from London, smoking was an obligation for anyone over the age of 10 years old, every game had attendances in excess of 30 000 and those boiled hamburgers were deeelish.

It really did seem like that to me, great times and no matter what we achieve from now, it will never feel now what it did then.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Football was a horrible game then, going away you were literally in fear of your life and even the wrong accent was enough to get a kicking or even worse so I'd say now is much better.

This.

It was a great time but on balance NOW is all-round better. I am taking my 12yo to Millwall tomorrow, back then that would have been impossible (or at least very, very stupid).

After the SW game, I tried to think when I had last seen the Albion play as well, and concluded Jan 1984 when we beat Liverpool 2-0 in the FACup. They were League champions and went on to win the European Cup that May!

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here