Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the over 42s...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A lot of people say 'there's never been a better time to be a Brighton fan', and if you're under 35, I guess that statement might well hold true.

But we had a meteoric rise in the late 1970s powering our way from the Third to the First Division, where we stayed for four years, and reached the FA Cup Final. My memories of those days were little more than 'Peter Ward is Magic'.

So taking that into consideration, would those who remember the giddy days of the late 1970s and early 1980s say that NOW or THEN is/was the best time to be a Brighton fan - or maybe even another period (mid to late 1950s...?)

Just curious, like.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Then

But that could also be associated with the fact that I was younger. That the music scene was more exciting and football generally was more competitive (although the Championship is pretty competitive)

And the fact that no player in the current team is as good as Lawro was - it was worth the entrance money to watch him every week.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
mmmm tricky one.......i freely admit to being a johnny come back lately. i was there in the late 70s and 80s. location, marriage,children, etc kinda meant i missed the 90s. it is great to be a brighton fan right now and i think it will get even better, but for me the late70s and early 80s will be the best days until we march into the premiership

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
mmmm tricky one.......i freely admit to being a johnny come back lately. i was there in the late 70s and 80s. location, marriage,children, etc kinda meant i missed the 90s. it is great to be a brighton fan right now and i think it will get even better, but for me the late70s and early 80s will be the best days until we march into the premiership

This

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
For me, currently 'then' is the most enjoyable time to have been a Brighton Fan. Loads of excellent memories and fabulous away days on the Seagull Special trains.

Of course, the Amex is first class, and the current squad has great potential.

Football and the matchday 'experience' has changed vastly over the intervening years and I don't think my early days as an Albion fan will be bettered. Matched? Possibly.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's a hard call. I'd say the late 70's edges it but that same feeling of excitement and anticipation before every game is back & I'm loving it.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I talked to a guy on the bus back from the Shef Weds game, he thinks that is the best football of any Albion side he had seen. He has been a fan since 1946.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I talked to a guy on the bus back from the Shef Weds game, he thinks that is the best football of any Albion side he had seen. He has been a fan since 1946.

well the first 15mins of the second half against SW we were Barcelona..............i suspect if your guy on the bus had seen the last 30 mins against watford, he might have had a different view!!

snowdrop

Jul 23, 2009
Higham Ferrers, Northants
Has to be then, remember living in London our first season in 1st Division, meeting up with everyone at Victoria and heading off for the Stoke away game at the start of the season, and on the way back our train pulling in at Euston at the same time as the Spurs train coming from Brum. Then legging it round the station and tube, Oh to be young again lol

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If we did get up to the Premier , at best we would be middle to lower table if not relegation fodder back in the early 80's we were beating the top teams regularly but that says more about the competiveness of the top flight then. Football was a horrible game then, going away you were literally in fear of your life and even the wrong accent was enough to get a kicking or even worse so I'd say now is much better.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Then

But that could also be associated with the fact that I was younger. That the music scene was more exciting and football generally was more competitive (although the Championship is pretty competitive)

And the fact that no player in the current team is as good as Lawro was - it was worth the entrance money to watch him every week.

Definitely this and a few of the other comments... that was, thus far, our golden era and has yet to be surpassed. Oh and we didn't really care much for ground facilities in those days.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For me,then.Hard to define why,but the magic of Wardy,fabulous leadership from Nobby Horton,the slightly ragged atmosphere of the Goldstone Ground and the passion of Mullers,did it for me.
Yes,I was younger then and perhaps with age goes some of the fervour.I have to be honest and say if we lose these days it doesn't bugger up my week-end any more!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Almost impossible to compare the two. So much has changed in the game, facilities, expectations, tactics etc etc. I loved my time at the Goldstone in the early 80's, it was very much a part of my late teenage years and early 20's. The quality of some of the players was I think a class above even the team we have now - Gary Stevens, Fozzie, Wardy were all genuine international contenders. There was a different atmosphere at the games - more robust and less stage managed. But as fans we were treated badly. I was trying to explain to my son when we were talking about the Hillsborough report what it was like to be a football fan then - herded into caged terraces, standing on crumbling concrete, hostility from the police - horrendous in many ways. Today it is all so different but I love it as much. Cannot wait for each game, enjoy the whole Amex experience, love the quality and diversity in the team.

If pushed to a make call one way or the other I would say I prefer now - and what makes the difference is I can share the experience with my son these days.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I would say the football was better then (not that it is not good now), and being a young teenager in the late 70's was a very exciting time to be an Albion fan

However, the Goldstone, despite it's charm was a shithole, and the experience today (at 48) is not just about football but the whole experience of taking my lads to the game, meeting up with friends, pies and pints, and quality football

In summary football back then was probably better but overall experience more enjoyable now

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
For context, ny first game was April 1976.

I think the answer may ultimately lay in the style of play and the panache.

Those mid to late seventies promotion campaigns were full of goals, full of excitement, had a sprinkling of truly great players but were often times accompanied by stress and serious dips in form.

If we are promoted this year with ease and adhere to this style of play, who could argue that this is the greatest period? We certainly have some class players now with international and champions league experience and some great youngsters.

As pointed out previously the flies in the ointment are Lawrenson and Wardy.

After Friday's game I stayed behind for a pie and a pint but largely to try and reconcile what I had just seen. Was it as complete a performance as I had seen (1200 games and 78 away grounds)? What about that vision, imagination, passing accuracy, domination?

The whole matchday experience is certainly better. The stadium is a fortress as the Goldstone once was.

Another though here is the comfort level of the club, the realisation that we are pretty unlikely to ever experience truly hard footballing times again.

Did we ever feel that level of comfort back in the seventies?

All in all its a close run thing. Its the last matches of the season. Vicente is in full swing, the seats are going in to get us up towards 32,000, the AMEX roar envelopes the pitch, Poyets doesnt retreat to negativity (see back end of last season) and teams are put to the sword.

In that scenarion the present may trump the past.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
well the first 15mins of the second half against SW we were Barcelona..............i suspect if your guy on the bus had seen the last 30 mins against watford, he might have had a different view!!

Fair point. We also talk of the changes. The ball it self is a total different animal these days. He also talked of the change to the hoof ball in the 70's, when some tactician work out that most goals are score with in three touches of the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here