Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for DIY experts

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I believe that I can ask anything on NSC and get some decent answers so here's a question for all you DIY whizzkids.

I'm trying to put up some window blinds and after 30 minutes of solid drilling I'm making no further inroads into the window lintel, I have a 550W hammer drill. Do I need something more powerful and can I assume that a 700W drill will have more oomph or can I do something with the drill bit? Is there anything else I should be doing. All I'm doing is giving my sore shoulders at the moment.

I know that there are several people who handy with their tools (fnaar, fnaar) on here so I hope someone has some ideas.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry can't help you but i'm glad i am not your neighbour!!

;)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mrs Hut could answer but gone to bed, she does the DIY round here

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beach Hut said:
Mrs Hut could answer but gone to bed, she does the DIY round here

Go and get her out of bed!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Scrub round that and get down to the hire shop. You want an SDS drill, they are designed for heavy duty masonry work.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bry Nylon said:
Go and get her out of bed!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

No way, she would go into one

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
How old is the house mate? as more modern houses (mid 1960's onwards) have metal reinforcement in their lintels, so it could be that you are using the wrong type of drill bit. If not I do have an sds percussion drill that would make the job easier.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
gvce26 said:
Has anyone asked Brightonfan86, he is great at putting things on walls!!
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: LMAO

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
HampshireSeagulls said:
Scrub round that and get down to the hire shop. You want an SDS drill, they are designed for heavy duty masonry work.

I tried that as an option: neither HSS nor Brandon's Brighton branches has one in stock.

Originally posted by Ned
How old is the house mate? as more modern houses (mid 1960's onwards) have metal reinforcement in their lintels, so it could be that you are using the wrong type of drill bit. If not I do have an sds percussion drill that would make the job easier.

It was built in 1960. I might try getting a tougher drill bit for it and see how that goes, but I might take you up on the offer of a loan, cheers.

Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I had a similar problem some years ago.
solved it by drilling into the brick at the ends of the lintel, and mounting a big solid piece of wooden batton across the top of the window, from which to hang the curtain.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
binky said:
solved it by drilling into the brick at the ends of the lintel, and mounting a big solid piece of wooden batton across the top of the window, from which to hang the curtain.

Is the right answer, or drill above the lintel and have longer blinds.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
binky said:

As dougdeep says this is the advisable option.
Far less work and , although it will probably be ok with a blind, drilling into the lintel isn't advisable anyway.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Gaffer said:
Maybe a stupid question but how do you know where the lintel ends?

Stupid answer - keep drilling at 3 inch intervals without an SDS drill, and when you suddenly find that your arm is waving around outside the house, you have found the place where the lintel ends...

Serious answer - hard to tell. Should be anything from 3 to 8 inches longer at each end than the window width. Without stripping back plaster and making the job ridiculously more complicated, you can't tell. Get an SDS drill, whack some plugs and screws in and get the rail up. Putting a couple of holes in the lintel will not affect it's load carrying rating anyway!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
get someone in to do it.

I am not into manual work and normally pay people who actually know what they are doing to do that sort of stuff.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
OK here are some tips I used when hanging a blind in my gaff. I have solid metal lintels which are a complete SLAG to drill through!

If you have a metal lintel you should be able to tell pretty easily. If you're using a widish gauge drill bit you will probably be able to see if it's metal. Another clue is if you try hammer action it will sound like your house is about to fall down! It's LOUD!

For a metal lintel;

1) turn OFF hammer action
2) use a small drill bit to start with. Is it much easier to widen a thin hole that start off my drilling a big hole.
3) use a slow speed.

For a concrete lintel

1) turn ON hammer action
2) 2) use a small drill bit to start with. Is it much easier to widen a thin hole that start off my drilling a big hole.
3) use full speed.

Also make sure you are using the correct type bit.

There are generally three types;

1) wood - these are usually gold in colour. They tend to have a screw type tip.

2) Masonry - These are usually silver. They have an arrow head type tip.

3) metal - these tend to be black and have no discernable tip. Very sharp though.

If all else fails you can always cheat. Use no more nails on a bit of wood. Paint the wood the same colour as your wall. screw into the wood. This will be string enough to support a blind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here