Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for DIY experts

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lammy said:
OK here are some tips I used when hanging a blind in my gaff. I have solid metal lintels which are a complete SLAG to drill through!

If you have a metal lintel you should be able to tell pretty easily. If you're using a widish gauge drill bit you will probably be able to see if it's metal. Another clue is if you try hammer action it will sound like your house is about to fall down! It's LOUD!

For a metal lintel;

1) turn OFF hammer action
2) use a small drill bit to start with. Is it much easier to widen a thin hole that start off my drilling a big hole.
3) use a slow speed.

For a concrete lintel

1) turn ON hammer action
2) 2) use a small drill bit to start with. Is it much easier to widen a thin hole that start off my drilling a big hole.
3) use full speed.

Also make sure you are using the correct type bit.

There are generally three types;

1) wood - these are usually gold in colour. They tend to have a screw type tip.

2) Masonry - These are usually silver. They have an arrow head type tip.

3) metal - these tend to be black and have no discernable tip. Very sharp though.

If all else fails you can always cheat. Use no more nails on a bit of wood. Paint the wood the same colour as your wall. screw into the wood. This will be string enough to support a blind.

you are a relly fun guy lammy

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've decided to buy an SDS drill.

I can't really afford it but I have lots of other drilling to do and I can't bear the thought of spending hours trying to force a bit into a tiny hole.

Mrs G has got plenty of other drilling jobs for me to do so I'd better equipped now as it will save time later.

I wish I had the money to pay someone to do it but it has to be down to me ... and I'm still finding my way in DIY.

Where's Barry Bucknell when you need him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here