Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quadrophenia Ending

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Go on, how does that work?

I think he means it's a film about youth identity and rebellion and inner struggles of trying to be one of the gang- in this case the gang being Mods.
Although by this stage- parkas, scooters etc.- had become a bit of a uniform, and the true modernists had moved on.

Quadrophenia isn't a modernist film, A Bout De Souffle is...

was...

tizwaz!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think he means it's a film about youth identity and rebellion and inner struggles of trying to be one of the gang- in this case the gang being Mods.
Although by this stage- parkas, scooters etc.- had become a bit of a uniform, and the true modernists had moved on.

was...

tizwaz!

I watched that the other day.

Looked classy, beautifully shot and everything but f*** was it tediously hard work...

Dandyman

In London village.
I take your point about Quadrophenia - it’s about mods, rather than being a mod film.

My question was mainly aimed at how you say Get Carter is a mod film. The characters are grimy, middle-aged traditionalist business men, and it’s a straightforward gangster thriller. There’s not any real sense of strutting, posing, or no real narcissism,

It has become iconic in retrospect (thereby refuting the term ‘modernist’), and even then only on the back of a slightly jazzy theme tune.

If anything, I’d argue The Italian Job was more of a mod film, with dandies and posers strutting their way through a crime caper with some funky music over the top.

Stuff like La Dolce Vita was more ‘mod’.

Media Essay Example - Get Carter

This is quite good - the point I was making is that Get Carter is Mod in a world gone rotten - Caine is not quite "clean living under difficult circumstances" but his dress, swagger and poise are all mod in a corrupt and dirty world.

Dandyman

In London village.

was...

tizwaz!

Spot on. Jimmy is a ticket not a face.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
I watched that the other day.

Looked classy, beautifully shot and everything but f*** was it tediously hard work...
There you go, modernism isn't about obvious or easy.

Which is why true modernists have an effortless cool air, otherwise it all seems too contrived.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There you go, modernism isn't about obvious or easy.

Which is why true modernists have an effortless cool air, otherwise it all seems too contrived.

That's my point - it was contrived. The main character wasn't remotely realistic - narcissistic, yes; a fop, yes - but he was all surface; a shallow caricature purely being puppeted at the mercy of the writer.

Where was the depth? The cool? The effortlessness?

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
That's my point - it was contrived. The main character wasn't remotely realistic - narcissistic, yes; a fop, yes - but he was all surface; a shallow caricature purely being puppeted at the mercy of the writer.

Where was the depth? The cool? The effortlessness?

Tush, Alan.

The shotgun scene ? The telephone call to Britt ? His suits ? A pint in a thin glass ?

Dandyman

In London village.
I'm talking about A Bout de Souffle here, not Get Carter.

Think of her haircut, her Herald Trib t-shirt, his cool and place in the context of the time.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Watching a film is "tediously hard work"

You want to try living in China and working 16 hours for a bowl of rice.

What, Jimmy did fall off the cliff ay the end, only to be washed up in China, and now works in some sweat shop making expensive retro MOD suits for Jump the Gun, well I never...

No wonder the Who never made a sequal.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Next time you watch the ending, keep your eye on the fly screen on the GS. First it's there, then it's not.
Ruined the whole film for me.............

Inside outside, leave me alone
Inside outside, nowhere is home
Inside outside, where have I been
Out of my brain on the five fifteen
Out of my brain on a train

Sadly he is probably commuting to panto.

I missed the wet Rochdale Friday night game (not like me) to see Phil do a great cameo with Blur at the Brighton Centre, he was greeted by a chorus of Bellboy, bellboy, bellboy.
he lets his bike go over the edge because he realises the fallacy behind even the greatest mod who is sting (because sting moonlights when not modding it as a bell boy) so by riding his motocycle of the cliff he is dismissing his mod ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here