Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quadrophenia Ending

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Just watched this corker of a film, just wondered does Phil Daniels commit suicide in the end or does the ending coincide with the start of the film whereby he walks away from the cliff edge? :albion2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The original has Jimmy stealing a boat and taking it to an island where he contemplates his lot, leaving us none the wiser.

Using a different piece of machinery, I think this was always the idea for the end of the rock opera/film.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Phil Daniels has been in lots of other films and Stings scooter has turned up somewhere, so I guess he didn't jump. :dunce:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Inside outside, leave me alone
Inside outside, nowhere is home
Inside outside, where have I been
Out of my brain on the five fifteen
Out of my brain on a train

Sadly he is probably commuting to panto.

I missed the wet Rochdale Friday night game (not like me) to see Phil do a great cameo with Blur at the Brighton Centre, he was greeted by a chorus of Bellboy, bellboy, bellboy.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...he will probably morph into either the Bill, Coronation Street or Heartbeat next!

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
He jumped, and it was him walking away from the edge at the start of the film-

They probably chose that option to stop real life reinactments - there'd be alot of scooter spares after 30 years if he had gone over

Dandyman

In London village.
Can I just point out that Quadrophenia is NOT a mod film, although Get Carter is.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Can I just point out that Quadrophenia is NOT a mod film, although Get Carter is.

Quadrophenia,
Teenagers wearing parka's,
Teenagers riding scooters
Teenagers riding scooters wearing parka's down to Brighton
Teenagers wearing parka's shouting We are the MODS
and partying listening to Mod music, and fighting with rockers on the beach ?

Pray tell why its not a mod film.

Dandyman

In London village.
Go on, how does that work?

In the same way that Chet Baker or Miles Davies are and the Merton Parkas could never be.

Quadrophenia is more of a hippy do your own thang film that anything although it's main characters are mods. The styling and attitude of Get Carter is Mod without the illusions. Any French new wave film of the early 1960s is also mod, Hard Days Night is not and Blow up (probably) is.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Err, I was there on me GS. My whole life has been... Not what I thought it was. :(

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In the same way that Chet Baker or Miles Davies are and the Merton Parkas could never be.

Quadrophenia is more of a hippy do your own thang film that anything although it's main characters are mods. The styling and attitude of Get Carter is Mod without the illusions. Any French new wave film of the early 1960s is also mod, Hard Days Night is not and Blow up (probably) is.

I take your point about Quadrophenia - it’s about mods, rather than being a mod film.

My question was mainly aimed at how you say Get Carter is a mod film. The characters are grimy, middle-aged traditionalist business men, and it’s a straightforward gangster thriller. There’s not any real sense of strutting, posing, or no real narcissism,

It has become iconic in retrospect (thereby refuting the term ‘modernist’), and even then only on the back of a slightly jazzy theme tune.

If anything, I’d argue The Italian Job was more of a mod film, with dandies and posers strutting their way through a crime caper with some funky music over the top.

Stuff like La Dolce Vita was more ‘mod’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here