Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quadrophenia (1979) - ITV1 - 11.30pm

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I might be missing something here ? but the single "My Generation" was released in 1965 and the film "Quadrophenia" was released in 1979, the single was re-released a few times after that, but it was most definatly released well prior to the film coming out.

The film is SET in 1964, a year before My Generation came out.

When he puts My Generation on the record player at the party, there is an album sleeve in the background of a double album - A Quick One/The Who Sell Out - which were released in 1966 & 1967, with the double being put out years after that

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Personally I would not care where it was filmed, for many of us on here, around the mid 40s to mid 50s age group, it is an era of what we all remember, enhanced a bit for film purposes I grant you, but thats what film makers do.

Brilliant film and brilliant music in my opinion.

Mid 40s would be too young, but I remember the Mods & Rockers in Brighton very well during the sixties (I'm 54). In 1965 on Bank Holiday Monday, my father told me that whatever I wanted to do that day, on no acoount was I to go into central Brighton because the M&R were there.

So I caught the bus into Brighton later to have a really good butchers at what was going on!:lol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The film is SET in 1964, a year before My Generation came out.

When he puts My Generation on the record player at the party, there is an album sleeve in the background of a double album - A Quick One/The Who Sell Out - which were released in 1966 & 1967, with the double being put out years after that
And if you want to get really picky you could point out that the bit where they stop on the hill and supposedly look down at 'Brighton' they are in fact looking at Eastbourne. However the location was picked because it made a better shot.

I think some of the criticism is a bit anal. It doesn't set out to be a documentary and yes they use a bit of artistic licence, but so what? It still captures the 'look and feel' of the era even if it isn't 100% factually accurate.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Little known fact, John Lydon was screen tested for the part of Jimmy, and was wanted to play the part by the Director, but the financers at the time decided it was too much of a risk. Even as a Lydon fan, i think they made the right choice. (Takes off anorak :smokin:)

scooter1

How soon is now?
And if you want to get really picky you could point out that the bit where they stop on the hill and supposedly look down at 'Brighton' they are in fact looking at Eastbourne. However the location was picked because it made a better shot.

I think some of the criticism is a bit anal. It doesn't set out to be a documentary and yes they use a bit of artistic licence, but so what? It still captures the 'look and feel' of the era even if it isn't 100% factually accurate.

And the Wimpy in East Street

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

100 % correct :thumbsup:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
My brother in law was in Quadrophenia ! He's in the court scene behind Phil Daniels. Sadly, I was only 9 when they made it, so wasn't allowed to act in the group of rockers due to my Raleigh Grifter not being ' a real bike ' :D

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The vast majority of the main actors in that film (mostly unknowns, and most were teenagers and early 20s at the time) went on to have (relatively) successful acting careers after that.

At least three of them went on to feature in director Franc Roddam's next project - Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I very briefly met Philip Davies a few months ago whilst he was filming the re-make of Brighton Rock in Eastbourne. Sadly i didn't get the chance to quiz him about his thoughts on Brighton Rock, as it seemed like they were re-making Quadrophenia. I was an extra and the bits that I was involved in felt almost carbon copy-esque, even down to standing on the beach shouting "We Are The Mods etc etc"

As for Quadrophenia, I know quite a lot the extras as they were mostly involved in the Brighton music scene around the mid to late 70's. I was told a lot of the fight scenes on the beach got a bit tasty and there were quite a few nasty head injuries as the "boys" started to take the directors suggestions a bit too literally

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

How many other films use music in them that were released way after the period setting of the film ? probably most of them, obviously I got the wrong end of the stick in my earlier post, and i totally agree with you it is a film not a documentary, I mean if everyones going to get really picky, what about the shadow of the helicopter in the final scenes and the re runs of the scooter tyre tracks along Beachy head :lolol:

At the end of the day......does it really matter ?

I very briefly met Philip Davies a few months ago whilst he was filming the re-make of Brighton Rock in Eastbourne. Sadly i didn't get the chance to quiz him about his thoughts on Brighton Rock, as it seemed like they were re-making Quadrophenia. I was an extra and the bits that I was involved in felt almost carbon copy-esque, even down to standing on the beach shouting "We Are The Mods etc etc"

According to this article the remake is set in 30s-60s during mod/rockers era so that explains that!!

Optimum to remake 'Brighton Rock' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Personally I would not care where it was filmed, for many of us on here, around the mid 40s to mid 50s age group, it is an era of what we all remember, enhanced a bit for film purposes I grant you, but thats what film makers do.

Brilliant film and brilliant music in my opinion.

A mate of mine -nearly 62 now - claims he was an extra (sorry background artiste now) putting the boot in in one scene. Didn't spot him though.

scooter1

How soon is now?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Superb film, one of a few rare ones filmed in our home town.

Others include Brighton Rock, Mona Lisa and some scary trashy horror film with Pamela Stephenson I think.

Also filmed lots of it in Shepherds Bush, myself & a few friends can be seen albeit vaguely in the background of a couple of scenes. Filmed the scenes where they are playing pin ball in a fella I used to knows cafe, before he burnt it down for the insurance...but didn´t get away with it!
We used to nick loads of cakes from the location caterers & get chatting to the cast inc Sting

SeagullSi

Jan 10, 2010
It was the first time I saw it last night. At the end with all the cliffs, is that beachy head or is that actually in brighton?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
On the subject of fillums can anybody advise when Slumdog Millionaire is next aired on Channel 4:wink: Ive missed it twice now in just over a week...:shrug:

SeagullSi

Jan 10, 2010
On the subject of fillums can anybody advise when Slumdog Millionaire is next aired on Channel 4:wink: Ive missed it twice now in just over a week...:shrug:

Unlikely to be for a while now. Usually they show the premiere and then repeat it a week or so later for those that missed it. They don't stick on ona third time for a while and if they did, it would be on Sky movies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here