Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs - foreign football broadcasts ruling today (merged)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So she's won. What will this mean for Premier League clubs relying on big TV money to pay their inflated wage bill?

Win is a strong word. Personally don't think she won anything when you take into account the copyright part of the decision

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Win is a strong word. Personally don't think she won anything when you take into account the copyright part of the decision

I'd say it's more of a score draw than a win

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I watch a lot of 3pm(4pm over here in France) Saturday games on Canal+. It blew my mind to start off with but you can sometimes find yourself watching 3 premier league games in a row, which is too much. Especially when you're trying to keep tabs on whats happening with the Albion on the laptop.

One of the main presenters on the channel was born in Shoreham. Darren Tulett. Theres a bit of useless information for you.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
European Court ruling on showing Premiership matches

Pub land lady Karen Murphy (MILF?) has won the right to show Premiership matches in her pub via a foreign decoder. What then, does this mean?

I'm not a media lawyer but it could be very bad news for Sky which will surely appeal. Sales of foreign decoders will soar for home use and in pubs. It'll mean all those pubs who have been showing games illegally via Danish decoders etc will now be able to do so legally and many more will bound to now start doing so.

If this ruling stands, it'll mean a big change in the way the Premier League does its next TV deal. Could the Premier League now have to set up its own TV company to guarantee income as primary rights holders?

Interesting ruling.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So, let me check I've got this right. You can now get wall-to-wall Danish MILF flicks for £100 a month?

Count me in.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Over and above the financial side I think it establishes that Sky does not own every thing, that is the English Premier League. Which is a good thing, shirley?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Creates some interesting dilemma regarding the 3pm TV blackout which does not exist for foreign broadcasters.

It's probably not going to make a difference to PL teams who sell out every week but what about those which dont, and potentially lower league teams when there games get picked up (albeit only on occasion) by foreign broadcasters.

It will also mean that the UK television rights for the PL wont be worth half as much but the cost of television rights abroad might increase.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Sorry didn't see earlier thread.

The High Court may of course reject the ECJ's ruling but may take 6 months before case is heard. In the meantime, it may be a free for all in the pubs although I wouldn't build a business plan round it for the future.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sorry didn't see earlier thread.

The High Court may of course reject the ECJ's ruling but may take 6 months before case is heard. In the meantime, it may be a free for all in the pubs although I wouldn't build a business plan round it for the future.

No it won't because of the copyright issue which in my view is the bigger thing but seems to be getting missed by the majority (both people and media).

Edit: finally the PL have said something only found it via Twitter tho
Twitter

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
She can only legally broadcast if she can remove all graphics, audio & intro music, that are all subject to copyright. Is she using completely raw feed if so ok, if full sky feed not

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, when they show Brighton play on a Saturday afternoon on TV, you can watch it in the pub and not bother with a season ticket. £25 or so to the publican on beer rather than the same amount to the club.

Fast forward ten years and the club e.g. via Seagulls TV will be offering Pay-Per-View live league matches and actively seeking your subscription. I'm sure Tony Bloom is smart enough to have seen which way the wind is blowing. Those going to the game will simply add a bit of background atmosphere. And if hardly anybody turns up, then they'll edit the sound and the vision so it looks like they have. They'll be giving away tickets to encourage you to attend. There's a huge global market of ex-pats and other scattered fans out there, and the clubs via the League will tap into it sooner rather than later. IMHO, like.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
But what does this mean for ME?

I have a satellite dish but have never paid for Sky. Can I pay some johnny foreigner company a few bob to get their decoder and watch live footy with gobbledegook commentary?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
But what does this mean for ME?

I have a satellite dish but have never paid for Sky. Can I pay some johnny foreigner company a few bob to get their decoder and watch live footy with gobbledegook commentary?

You pretty much always have if you can be bothered to get the right equipment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here