Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs - foreign football broadcasts ruling today (merged)

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Not strictly true as it only applies to Europe (if the English court go along with the ECJ) so the lucrative Asian markets are still not allowed to be shown here and the actual ECJ ruling is quite strict going about graphics, highlights etc and what cannot be shown

the high court refered it to the ECJ to see that stance on it, now the ECJ will be writing to the High court and telling them there view imo this will be granted in the high court

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
you pretty much have to ring up on the day they reach general sale,

Right, so that is 'very difficult' to do, is it?

if ya go online the website is constantly down.

Click on the refresh button repeatedly as fast as you can, you'll get in within a couple of minutes

going to the shop is not that easy for every one

Agreed, I don't live in Brighton myself, but that is what the telephone and internet is for.

fact is its not that easy to get a ticket when they reach general.

Wrong, it is easy, it just takes a tiny little bit of effort. I am a STH but my mate isn't and he hasn't missed a home game so far. I understand it's not like it used to be where you could just buy a ticket on the day or the day before, but to say it is 'very difficult' just isn't true. It's easy.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the high court refered it to the ECJ to see that stance on it, now the ECJ will be writing to the High court and telling them there view imo this will be granted in the high court

Granted that is probably what will happens but it is not always what happens and it depends on how the court views the ECJ verdict and if they agree with all of it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Wrong, it is easy, it just takes a tiny little bit of effort. I am a STH but my mate isn't and he hasn't missed a home game so far. I understand it's not like it used to be where you could just buy a ticket on the day or the day before, but to say it is 'very difficult' just isn't true. It's easy.

Indeed. If people really wanted the ticket they could cope with pressing refresh for five minutes maximum on the day of release.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Indeed. If people really wanted the ticket they could cope with pressing refresh for five minutes maximum on the day of release.

That's the thing though, people don't want to make the effort. Sometimes I think people would prefer we were shit again so they don't have these difficulties. Although no doubt they were probably the people who didn't go to Withdean because they 'couldn't get a ticket'.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Right, so that is 'very difficult' to do, is it?

Click on the refresh button repeatedly as fast as you can, you'll get in within a couple of minutes

Agreed, I don't live in Brighton myself, but that is what the telephone and internet is for.

I cant make every game due to commitments, so i dont have the points they are now asking for, so i have to wait till they reach general sale.

I have sat on my laptop for ages pressing refresh and just dont get anywhere, im going to try for West Ham but il doubt il get a ticket, that said it being Monday night i stand a chance now.

but have to wait till the 10th.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Great result, this isn't just for pubs, its everything, so foreign sat channels will become more readily available here and even advertise here to get cheaper footy. It is the correct ruling. The one thing that can change it is if the premier league, start charging more for showing footy to foreign tv. But then the clubs miss out on merchandise from foreign fans if the EPL isn't shown. The only outcome is for sky to drop it's prices. They want to keep their monopoly, not lose it.

As an individual you have been able to watch the European satellite channels ever since they started broadcasting around 25 years ago. There is nothing to stop you watching the free to air stuff or buying a subscription for a TV package. In fact you'll find the Sky World equivalent from other providers costs roughly the same. One scenario is the Premier League selling the TV rights as a pan EU package to one buyer who then resells to others , it could end up with Sky increasing their prices and profit margins.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Not strictly true as it only applies to Europe (if the English court go along with the ECJ) so the lucrative Asian markets are still not allowed to be shown here and the actual ECJ ruling is quite strict going about graphics, highlights etc and what cannot be shown

Yes my post did make it sound like I was talking about Asia. I wasn't. Just Europe. Scandinavian countries get cheap footy, Greece, Cyprus, many others.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
As an individual you have been able to watch the European satellite channels ever since they started broadcasting around 25 years ago. There is nothing to stop you watching the free to air stuff or buying a subscription for a TV package. In fact you'll find the Sky World equivalent from other providers costs roughly the same. One scenario is the Premier League selling the TV rights as a pan EU package to one buyer who then resells to others , it could end up with Sky increasing their prices and profit margins.

Yes I know the individual could, but it now opens up to ads in the paper, local sat man offering the foreign footy service and a real open floodgates.
Yes sky could bring out an EU package but foreign tv will only broadcast and buy rights if it's affordable. Otherwise bye bye EPL and I don't see the premier league being happy with their product not being shown anywhere else in Europe. I think this means sky prices fall. At least for pubs.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Personally the last bit is quite interesting as I don't see how they can show games without the graphics so that means that pubs cannot show games without permier league authorisation

In short, they can't. The ruling is essentially that any one can get the cheap foreign box at home to watch football but pubs won't be able to unless the broadcast was the barebones - literally just the match and nothing else

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In short, they can't. The ruling is essentially that any one can get the cheap foreign box at home to watch football but pubs won't be able to unless the broadcast was the barebones - literally just the match and nothing else

Which foreign companies cannot show (when ever I have watched a game abroad the score has been the Premier League graphic) so basically she still cannot show games

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Indeed...

However, the court ruled against the bid by Karen Murphy, the landlady of the Red, White and Blue pub in Portsmouth, to be allowed to use a Greek decoder card to show live Premier League matches to pub goers at much cheaper rates than BSkyB charges commercial premises in the UK on copyright grounds.

The ECJ said the transmission in a pub is a "communication to the public", which means that without the permission of the FA Premier League Murphy is in breach of the copyright directive. This directive would not stop individuals buying foreign decoder cards for domestic use.

However, the ECJ said live match coverage itself was not covered by copyright protection, although the Premier League could claim ownership of FAPL-branded opening video sequences, theme music, on-screen graphics and highlights of previous matches.

This means that as long as the FAPL and BSkyB ensure that match coverage includes enough copyright elements pubs will not be allowed to show foreign broadcasts.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Indeed...

However, the court ruled against the bid by Karen Murphy, the landlady of the Red, White and Blue pub in Portsmouth, to be allowed to use a Greek decoder card to show live Premier League matches to pub goers at much cheaper rates than BSkyB charges commercial premises in the UK on copyright grounds.

The ECJ said the transmission in a pub is a "communication to the public", which means that without the permission of the FA Premier League Murphy is in breach of the copyright directive. This directive would not stop individuals buying foreign decoder cards for domestic use.

However, the ECJ said live match coverage itself was not covered by copyright protection, although the Premier League could claim ownership of FAPL-branded opening video sequences, theme music, on-screen graphics and highlights of previous matches.

This means that as long as the FAPL and BSkyB ensure that match coverage includes enough copyright elements pubs will not be allowed to show foreign broadcasts.

Can't the provider just block out the score and replace it with their own? They do it in Asia.

All in all, sounds like a bit of a cop out ruling.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can't the provider just block out the score and replace it with their own? They do it in Asia.

Maybe, but would they want to do that and piss off all their local subscribers?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Maybe, but would they want to do that and piss off all their local subscribers?

If there is money to be made, I'm sure they could find a way to have a separate subscription channel for 'clean' broadcasts.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes I know the individual could, but it now opens up to ads in the paper, local sat man offering the foreign footy service and a real open floodgates.
Yes sky could bring out an EU package but foreign tv will only broadcast and buy rights if it's affordable. Otherwise bye bye EPL and I don't see the premier league being happy with their product not being shown anywhere else in Europe. I think this means sky prices fall. At least for pubs.

The EPL only get £130M from the European rights , if Sky got the redistribution rights all the current broadcasters such as Nova providing 3pm games on the cheap will be priced out but Canal+ , Orange , Canal Digitaal , Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland will still show the EPL games except the price will be similar to Sky. With advances in satellite TV technology being able to watch a live Saturday 3pm kick off in the Premier League from Sky Italia for example could be totally irrelevant in 3 or 4 years time. Satellites only have a 15 year lifespan and those being replaced over the next few years will use spot beams instead of wide beams. Ireland already uses a spot beam to allow viewers to watch channels specifically for ROI and the frequency is split to allow another spot beam for the French to use over northern France.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here