Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs - foreign football broadcasts ruling today (merged)

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Court in Europe is going to decide if pubs can show other sources of football in there pubs other than sky.

Hope the pubs bloody win :clap2:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
So, when they show Brighton play on a Saturday afternoon on TV, you can watch it in the pub and not bother with a season ticket. £25 or so to the publican on beer rather than the same amount to the club.

The pub landlords are making a point that is cheaper to buy premiership matches from overseas providers than it is through SKY which is absolutely crazy. Sky obviously don't like this but they will not reduce their subscription prices. If the pubs win today SKY are set to lose loads of money. But knowing SKY they will push something through that makes illegal to buy from foriegn providers. Its just another example of ripp off britain.

The same applies to Eurosport, I can actually get this free from Hotbird 13 Sat, its in German. However if I want Eurosport GB I need to pay SKY. So how come the Germans get Eurosport for nothing, and we need to pay in this country.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And she's won - There's a lot of analysis out there, most suggest that the league may now sell the rights pan-European, probably meaning that rather than us getting it cheaper, it will be more expensive for Greece... I sincerely hoped that money would start to disappear from Footy, but doesn't look likely.....

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
So, when they show Brighton play on a Saturday afternoon on TV, you can watch it in the pub and not bother with a season ticket. £25 or so to the publican on beer rather than the same amount to the club.

why would anyone rather watch football in a pub than at the ground, thing is at the moment its very difficult to get tickets to see us play if your not a season ticket holder. So all the time i cant go if i got the chance to watch them on TV i will take it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Haha do you really think it will change anything? All that will happen is that Sky will buy the Worldwide rights as opposed to the Premier League selling overseas rights themselves and Sky will then sell them themselves to foreign operators which will mean that the foreign companies will have to charge more. Its also not the end of the matter as a judgment is still needed from the English court

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's an odd one. Sky have paid a lot for the rights to show games here, but they haven't been bothered about who buys the rights abroad so other countries have got those rights cheap. If we can all start watching cheap footy, bought from other European countries, Sky will simply change their deal; they either won't pay anywhere near as much, because they've basically lost exclusivity, or they will buy the foreign rights too, and sell them on without the right to distribute here.

Is it the FA that stops sky showing matches at 3pm on a Saturday? If foreign countries suddenly allow us to watch at 3, I assume the FA will just stop that too.

This decision doesn't seem that great for us.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
If sky cut back there investment in the premier league in a way surely thats a good thing, as at the moment the TV rights the clubs get is insane.

Will this mean that players salaries will be cut in the future?

Not that I'm against them earning significant sums, but £200 to £250,000 per week is one of the things in life that really does piss me off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The EPL can still alter how they sell the TV rights , all it means is other European countries will be paying the same price as Sky if they want to continue to show Premier League games. Sky may also lobby for a change in the law so pubs and clubs have to pay commercial subscriptions if they use another satellite TV provider because at the moment nearly all are using a domestic sub.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
why would anyone rather watch football in a pub than at the ground, thing is at the moment its very difficult to get tickets to see us play if your not a season ticket holder. So all the time i cant go if i got the chance to watch them on TV i will take it.

Oh my God I thought we had finally but this bollocks to bed. Can you explain why you think it is 'very difficult to get tickets to see us if you don't have a season ticket'?

Do you find it very difficult to pick up the phone and buy a ticket when they go on sale? Or log onto the internet and buy one? Or walk into the shop and buy one?

Perhaps you think the club should come to your house and ask if you would like one?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Oh my God I thought we had finally but this bollocks to bed. Can you explain why you think it is 'very difficult to get tickets to see us if you don't have a season ticket'?

Do you find it very difficult to pick up the phone and buy a ticket when they go on sale? Or log onto the internet and buy one? Or walk into the shop and buy one?

Perhaps you think the club should come to your house and ask if you would like one?

When i ring up the queue is insane on the phone as you pretty much have to ring up on the day they reach general sale, if ya go online the website is constantly down, and going to the shop is not that easy for every one, fact is its not that easy to get a ticket when they reach general.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Great result, this isn't just for pubs, its everything, so foreign sat channels will become more readily available here and even advertise here to get cheaper footy. It is the correct ruling. The one thing that can change it is if the premier league, start charging more for showing footy to foreign tv. But then the clubs miss out on merchandise from foreign fans if the EPL isn't shown. The only outcome is for sky to drop it's prices. They want to keep their monopoly, not lose it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Great result, this isn't just for pubs, its everything, so foreign sat channels will become more readily available here and even advertise here to get cheaper footy. It is the correct ruling. The one thing that can change it is if the premier league, start charging more for showing footy to foreign tv. But then the clubs miss out on merchandise from foreign fans if the EPL isn't shown. The only outcome is for sky to drop it's prices. They want to keep their monopoly, not lose it.

Not strictly true as it only applies to Europe (if the English court go along with the ECJ) so the lucrative Asian markets are still not allowed to be shown here and the actual ECJ ruling is quite strict going about graphics, highlights etc and what cannot be shown

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Personally anything which reduces the flow of money to the top flight is good in my opinion. As is potential downward pressure on attendance at actual games, maybe clubs will have to work harder to get full houses rather than relying on tribal loyalties. Tickets are already becoming more available for many prem games and clubs are having to work a little harder to get people to turn up.

The fact is as a sport football WASTES the billion pound windfall from tv on for on the most part mediocre players. I'd love the gravy train to come off the rails. Sadly as others have mentioned Sky will probably find a away to turn this to their advantage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here