Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public 'Service' Unions to go on strike.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's how solidarity works -- if my job sucks, your job has to suck, too. If my pension disappeared in the bust, you may not have one either. If I have no job at all, you must also be made redundant.

Shared sacrifice. The very glue that holds society together.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Quite a cheek of the government to say that Public service strikes will affect the lives of Joe public, when they are f***ing around with thier pay and pensions. About time the government stopped passing the buck and making excuses. Billions is being wasted overseas, when the real "crisis" is at home.

Id like to know when the MPs will start bareing thier load of the cuts. Wages, second homes, travel concessions. One rule for one, one rule for the other.

Strike Strike Strike I say.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Quite a cheek of the government to say that Public service strikes will affect the lives of Joe public, when they are f***ing around with thier pay and pensions. About time the government stopped passing the buck and making excuses. Billions is being wasted overseas, when the real "crisis" is at home.

Id like to know when the MPs will start bareing thier load of the cuts. Wages, second homes, travel concessions. One rule for one, one rule for the other.

Strike Strike Strike I say.

It is true, we are still giving millions to India for example, as they need our help, never mind the fact that they have one of the World's fastest growing economies. Of course maybe if British firms didn't keep sending jobs abroad to make bigger profits we'd be doing a bit better here. I am not a huge fan of many of the Public Sector but on the other hand most do jobs that don't give them a lot of incentive and the one thing that keeps them doing their much needed jobs is the fact that they will retire to a reasonable pension, take that away and no wonder they are not happy. I say they should take action too.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Its very convenient of this government to put worker up against worker and make it look like the public sector workers are the ones to blame for this financial mess.

Lets not forget how the banks and previous government screwed it up in the first place.

Lets not forget the f**king scroungers and benefit cheats who have been screwing this system for years. The ones who found it easier to sit on their arse all day and take free money, while the rest of us bust our gut and pay our taxes.

Then we have people who have used and abused the legal aid system for years.
And has everyone forgotten the MPs expenses scandal too?

Its cost us billions.

And yes why are we giving money to places like India. Is it not enough that many companies have moved their call centres over there and taken jobs away from the UK.

And in fact why are we giving any of our money away. We never get anything back and its always us that gets the bad deal.
No wonder everyone wants to come and live here.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pointless gesture that wont change anything. what are they striking over? government budget cuts? pension cuts (already in progress before this government)? demonstration that the union is still a force? i've lost track.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
pointless gesture that wont change anything. what are they striking over? government budget cuts? pension cuts (already in progress before this government)? demonstration that the union is still a force? i've lost track.

They are going on strike to make a stand. I know what you mean it won't change a thing, the damage has been done. But sometimes in life enough is enough. There is only so much people can take.

Today on TV they said the government expect all school kids to come out of school with at least 5 GCSE A-C grades and that schools should improve, then on the other hand they are messing around with teachers conditions. This government loves shooting itself in the foot.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
This is a responce to the usual Tory tactics, it's not let's improve everyone's terms and conditions, its' let's destroy those conditions and have a race to the bottom. Somewhere there's got to be a stand or in the future there will be no or piss poor pensions and back to, work till you drop.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I rekon this strike might shoot some of them in the foot. With the exception of teachers, binmen, firemen, OB and nurses most civil servants could go on strike for 6 months and the vast majority of us wouldn't notice any difference.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
They are going on strike to make a stand. I know what you mean it won't change a thing, the damage has been done. But sometimes in life enough is enough. There is only so much people can take.

Today on TV they said the government expect all school kids to come out of school with at least 5 GCSE A-C grades and that schools should improve, then on the other hand they are messing around with teachers conditions. This government loves shooting itself in the foot.

ALL students to get 5 A* to C?

Surely anybody can see that if EVERYONE has them they will be totally worthless. Complete nonsense.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Today on TV they said the government expect all school kids to come out of school with at least 5 GCSE A-C grades

As much as I loathe the Tories, Gove actually said the target was for 50% of kids to achieve that target.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So you think there's a direct link between teachers conditions and how well they teach our children ? If that's really the case then those teachers shouldn't be teaching but I suspect nearly all teachers are a bit more professional than that.

Personally I've seen my pension pot shrink and I'm a private sector worker. I have to decide whether to pay in more, work longer or have a smaller pension or even all three. My pension is self funding without injections of tax payers cash. Public sector pensions should be the same so if the schemes need more money it should come from the members.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
So you think there's a direct link between teachers conditions and how well they teach our children ? If that's really the case then those teachers shouldn't be teaching but I suspect nearly all teachers are a bit more professional than that.

There's going to ba A link whether you like it or not, no matter how professional someone is. Someone worrying about how they're going to pay the bills is never going to nhave their mind on the job quite as much as someone who doesn't have those worries.

Personally I've seen my pension pot shrink and I'm a private sector worker. I have to decide whether to pay in more, work longer or have a smaller pension or even all three. My pension is self funding without injections of tax payers cash. Public sector pensions should be the same so if the schemes need more money it should come from the members.[/QUOTE]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
ALL students to get 5 A* to C?

Surely anybody can see that if EVERYONE has them they will be totally worthless. Complete nonsense.

I think GCSEs are more a measure to ensuring all children get a good education rather than a qualification to get a job. Therefore, if all children achieved those results we would at least know they have all had a decent rounded education.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here