Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public Inquiry Poll - Which is your favourite wild creature?

Which is your favourite creature?

• bat

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • badger

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • otter

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • slow worm

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • water vole

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • peregrine falcon

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • black redstart

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
perseus said:
Some of these animals are BAPs.
I'd love a beaver bap

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
wv_closeup.jpg

My bet its Ratty (from Wind of the Withy Gap = Willows)

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
LBPWIL_10997_v1_m56577569830533196.jpe

The good-natured Water Rat introduces Mole to life on and beside the river. Their adventures together culminate in the liberation of Toad Hole from the stoats and weasels.

Last edited:

OK. The answer is ....

The water vole.

It's the star resident of the potential stadium site at Shoreham Airport and could be a reason for not building access roads.

Nobody got at all excited about bats at this morning's Inquiry session. They forage around Waterhall and Toads Hole Valley, and they roost at Withdean.

Badgers are found at Waterhall and Withdean.

Otters were only mentioned by the lighting expert. The ecologist didn't seem to think they were relevant.

Slow worms seem to like Toads Hole Valley.

The peregrine falcon lives at Upper Beeding Cement Works.

And black redstarts visit Shoreham Harbour.

In ecological terms, the expert's judgement was that the Shoreham Airport site was the most sensitive. A stadium would cause unacceptable environmental impact at Waterhall, Withdean, Shoreham Harbour and Shoreham Airport.

Sheepcote Valley, Toads Hole Valley and Upper Beeding Cement Works were less problematic.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is a secret nest site at Beeding Cement Works. So secret it is not being revealed because either

1) it does not exist
2) the birders are afraid of the bird eggers

It could be a Raven. I don't believe it. I expect it is a Rook in disguise.

How does Ratty cross a road?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Beeding Cement Works: I missed it the bit in LB's post. I expect it is the offspring of the Shoreham Harbour Peregrines? (or the other way round?)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
perseus said:
There is a Peregrine at Shoreham Harbour. I wonder what it eats?

Falcons are very partial to the odd pigeon.

Squirrels like nuts, and I like them back.

When you get to know a squirrel, they make lovely friends, are amusing and interract affably. Most birds, and even cats don't mind them - though most dogs consider them as game.

They are smarter than the stoat and rabbit.

The prairie-dog is great, but not seen around these parts.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
dougdeep said:

Wouldn't eat seagulls then? Even the piddling little Torquay-type of gulls?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Lord Bracknell said:
OK. The answer is ....

The water vole.

It's the star resident of the potential stadium site at Shoreham Airport and could be a reason for not building access roads.
Nobody got at all excited about bats at this morning's Inquiry session. They forage around Waterhall and Toads Hole Valley, and they roost at Withdean.

Badgers are found at Waterhall and Withdean.

Otters were only mentioned by the lighting expert. The ecologist didn't seem to think they were relevant.

Slow worms seem to like Toads Hole Valley.

The peregrine falcon lives at Upper Beeding Cement Works.
And black redstarts visit Shoreham Harbour.

In ecological terms, the expert's judgement was that the Shoreham Airport site was the most sensitive. A stadium would cause unacceptable environmental impact at Waterhall, Withdean, Shoreham Harbour and Shoreham Airport.

Sheepcote Valley, Toads Hole Valley and Upper Beeding Cement Works were less problematic.

Well hoorah for Voley. I notice you don't mention any of our furry and feathered friends in connection with Falmer. Is that because the only thing nesting there is the greater spotted Nimby?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
dougdeep said:

Could put a falcon nest box on the new stadium to frighten away the pigeons? I expect it would take a few ducks from the mere (pond) at Falmere.

Ratty would be in more of danger from hamburger stalls than any new roads. This is because the Brown Rat could outcompete the Water Vole with an artificial food source.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
perseus said:
Beeding Cement Works: I missed it the bit in LB's post. I expect it is the offspring of the Shoreham Harbour Peregrines? (or the other way round?)
The peregrines at the harbour used to nest in the old power station chimney and had to move on when that was demolished. I though they then pitched up on top of Sussex Heights (or wahtever the big blck of flats atop the Bedford Hotel is called)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here