Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

public inquiry dates...

Tom, that would be true if the regional planning office conducting the inquiry and the Labour Party were the same thing. They are completely seperate organisations.

Sending more letters to MPs 100% on our side is utterly pointless.

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
London Irish said:
I disagree - a firm date is fantastic news.

It is JP's office of ministerial advisers that will make this decision, not the fat f*** himself, who will merely rubber-stamp it. They will still be there even if JP gets reshuffled after a Gen Election, which Labour are going to walk.

SO CALM DOWN

But the point is that we were all told by Labour politicians in the Brighton and Hove area that we should have a result by Christmas.

They have misled people on it. Unless they were talking about Christmas 2005. OK, it might be a bit earlier than that, but you get the picture. Allowing for any appeals etc, it looks unlikely a final decision will be made by May 05 - the most likely General Election date.

Much as I disagree with him over Falmer, I am starting to think that Norman Baker might have been right over the timing of this final Inquiry. The final decision will be delayed until after the General Election in order to save the skins of three Labour MPs.

I hope this is not the case, but it is all starting to look like a stitch-up.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Pre-enquiry meeting...

6 week consulsation period...

FFS! We were told that we could expect a decision by Xmas!! This is a total an utter piss take! All we are doing is lining the pockets of lawyers and who benefits? No one.

This country is a DISGRACE! Why oh why are we not able to discuss this matter now and get a f***ing decision? Yes or No? It's not rocket science. We're not building wembly or some stupid dome (how the feck did THAT ever get planning persmission?). We have already had one enquiry. Is there a better sight.

Pre enwuiry meeting? Why hasn;t that already taken place? It's been ages since we knew this enquiry was going to take place! What has everyone been doing?

Can someone give me an example in the private sector where this level of dragging feet is acceptable? If I were to take this long to make a decision I'd be sacked! And quite rightly too!

DISGRACE! :censored:

Oval Gull said:
But the point is that we were all told by Labour politicians in the Brighton and Hove area that we should have a result by Christmas.

Source of quote please.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Tom, that would be true if the regional planning office conducting the inquiry and the Labour Party were the same thing. They are completely seperate organisations.

Sending more letters to MPs 100% on our side is utterly pointless.

I agree with your point about the regional planning office conducting the inquiry and the Labour Party being completely seperate organisations. However, the inquiry is pencilled in for earlyish January (note it's the first available date - it may not even end up being THE date if the designated inspector goes down with flu or something) and I think we've already been told it'll take only a week or two - correct me if I'm wrong. The regional planning office will then presumably report back to the ODPM. The report may then well sit at the bottom of the ODPM's in-tray til after the election for reasons which are either innocent or non-innocent. What I'm saying is that heavy and sustained pressure from Albion fans and by inference the electorate of Brighton & Hove - has already led to Prescott binning the recommendation of at least two planning inspectors. That pressure may well succeed in moving the report from the bottom of Prescott's in-tray to the top of his in-tray such that we know the decision by the time of the election, for good or ill. Else, they've just got us by the short'n'curlies for the Election. They ARE politicians after all.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'll take money from anyone that this isn't resolved by the end of NEXT year.

Al-Queda will probably then hit Westminster before Prescott gives a decision, the government collapses as a result of a security scandel and the Tories start the process all over again......you heard it here first!

In all seriousness, does anyone know what the record is for a planning permission decision (either way) especially after it's been to a Public Enquiry that's closed? Surely we're staring at the likely winner. Step forward Falmer Stadium.....

:nono: :angry: :shootself

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People, get real.

Labour will walk the next election by a country mile as the Tories are a shambles. Whether or not the Brighton and Hove seats are won or lost is an irrelevance to the national result.

Let's stop going over the top on the political consequences of Falmer, the politicians on all sides don't give a monkeys.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Pavillion has a point you know.....

Lammy said:
Martin Perry said it on the radio

That's a hazy, unvarifiable memory, not a source.

What I remember them saying is expressing some hope that the inquiry would be completed by the end of the year, other forecasts I heard were February 2005.

So it might be a month or two after the end of the year. Big f***ing deal after the length of time we've waited already.

Pavilionaire said:
People, get real.

Labour will walk the next election by a country mile as the Tories are a shambles. Whether or not the Brighton and Hove seats are won or lost is an irrelevance to the national result.

Let's stop going over the top on the political consequences of Falmer, the politicians on all sides don't give a monkeys.

At last, some sense, but of course the local Labour politicians do care a lot given the amount of help they've given the campaign.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
How long was it from the start of the last enquiry until Prescott's 'decision'? I'm not sure of dates, but wasn't it something like 9+ months?

It seems depressingly possible that it'll be similar to that this time around. So even if this enquiry starts in January (which it may not, that's only the first possible date) we could be looking at Autumn 2005 or later before Prescott (or his replacement) gives a verdict on it.

I'm with portlock seagull. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this heads into 2006.

This is really soul-sapping.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
This is an absolute monumental f*** up. I can t beleive Iam going to have to spend the next year explaining to all my friends/family why we still havent got a decision 'on the ground'.
Iam f***ed off to the highest degree.
This is a joke.
I cannot believe this kind of timescale is acceptable to anyone.
This is all costing money all the time it is going on.
Like I said I am f***ed off to the highest degree.

Even when we get a decision, we are still a long way from the fuckin' thing being built.

Iam pissed off, iam going out to get drunk.
bye
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
That's a hazy, unvarifiable memory, not a source.

What I remember them saying is expressing some hope that the inquiry would be completed by the end of the year, other forecasts I heard were February 2005.

Des Turner MP was definitely quoted in either The Argus or The Leader as saying the decision should be made by Christmas. It may well even have been posted on here, tho not having the Search facility makes it a bit difficult to check. I guess the article would have ran on the day after the ODPM's non-decision was announced.

bhafc99 said:
How long was it from the start of the last enquiry until Prescott's 'decision'? I'm not sure of dates, but wasn't it something like 9+ months?

It seems depressingly possible that it'll be similar to that this time around. So even if this enquiry starts in January (which it may not, that's only the first possible date) we could be looking at Autumn 2005 or later before Prescott (or his replacement) gives a verdict on it.

I'm with portlock seagull. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this heads into 2006.

This is really soul-sapping.

Yes, but this time we have clear criteria by which the ODPM will be making its judgment. It is highly unlikely there would be another 9+ month delay because there is much less work in this decision. Last time, the ODPM had to examine and finally trash the two inspectors' work. That was nine months f***ing well spent, if you ask me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I dont know anymore.:cry:

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
London Irish said:
Source of quote please.

Certainly, London Irish. Happy to oblige. Press cutting from the Argus on-line edition is below. Looks like Baker is correct to have a "suspicious mind":

First published on Monday 02 August 2004:
Stadium stalled 'to save MPs' jobs'
by Matthew James

John Prescott's decision to reopen the public inquiry into Brighton and Hove Albion's stadium plans is a cynical ploy to save three Labour seats, an MP has claimed

Lewes MP Norman Baker believes the Deputy Prime Minister is plotting to stall a decision until after the next General Election - then say no to the proposed 22,000-seat community stadium near Falmer station.

Many Albion fans believe Mr Prescott will eventually approve the plans because his decision went against the advice of two planning inspectors.

But Mr Baker believes Mr Prescott was concerned the city's three Labour MPs - Ivor Caplin (Hove), David Lepper (Brighton Pavilion) and Des Turner (Brighton Kemptown) - would lose their seats if he rejected the plans before the next election.

Dr Turner responded to Mr Baker's accusation: "What a suspicious mind he's got.

"I expect the result by Christmas and certainly a formal announcement before the election."

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
January? You must be f*cking joking? Someone is seriously taking the piss here!
So much for a result by Christmas..............now when will the result come?...............then we have to wait for the NIMBY appeal..........all this before the building even starts which is gonna take long enough...........will the club survive that long?
F*cking tossers!
This whole f*cking business stinks!
:nono: :( :nono:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
f*** SAKE, this drags on longer than a bloody Coldplay song :angry:

not happy :angry: :censored: :angry:

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Oval Gull said:
Certainly, London Irish. Happy to oblige. Press cutting from the Argus on-line edition is below. Looks like Baker is correct to have a "suspicious mind":

First published on Monday 02 August 2004:
Stadium stalled 'to save MPs' jobs'
by Matthew James

John Prescott's decision to reopen the public inquiry into Brighton and Hove Albion's stadium plans is a cynical ploy to save three Labour seats, an MP has claimed

Lewes MP Norman Baker believes the Deputy Prime Minister is plotting to stall a decision until after the next General Election - then say no to the proposed 22,000-seat community stadium near Falmer station.

Many Albion fans believe Mr Prescott will eventually approve the plans because his decision went against the advice of two planning inspectors.

But Mr Baker believes Mr Prescott was concerned the city's three Labour MPs - Ivor Caplin (Hove), David Lepper (Brighton Pavilion) and Des Turner (Brighton Kemptown) - would lose their seats if he rejected the plans before the next election.

Dr Turner responded to Mr Baker's accusation: "What a suspicious mind he's got.

"I expect the result by Christmas and certainly a formal announcement before the election."

Goes without saying that I hope Norman Baker is wrong on the main issue of if we will get Falmer or not....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here