Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pub Opening Hours

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The good old days.
Would have been around the mid 70's, Greyhound pub in Keymer was my local. Went out with £2, enough to buy 8 pints of Watneys Starlight.
Pub closed at 10:30 every day and Sunday it opened for 2 hours at lunchtime and then 7pm. Imagine that, all pubs closed Sunday afternoon.
Fast forwards to the 2000's. In Brighton pubs still closed at 11:00 every evening. My shops stayed open until midnight creaming money out of tourists walking the streets.
That was only 20 years ago. Now Brighton is a 24 hour city.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
For the health argument, probably. Less so for the anti-social behaviour.
Not strictly true. Most underage drinking is done with alcohol purchased from supermarkets/corner shops. Supermarkets sell certain products as a loss leader, many of us in the industry have called for this to stop. Sure, there are some badly run pubs, but they are few and far between these days. The rules we have to abide by these days are incredibly strict, which most adhere to. Can you say the same about corner shops in particular?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
On the radio this morning (R5L Nicky Campbell) they has landlords on who said the busy times in pubs were 4-8pm (basically after work) and after 9pm they might as well shut up. So economics will probably drive it.
They are free to do this now if it makes sense for them?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
There is a piece in the Mail which I have seen online and the last paragraph states that a Health Department spokesperson insists this is categorically untrue.

I don't really want to get into an argument as to where the BBC sits on the political spectrum, but I will say that the news output very strongly represents the traditional press and frequently echoes their output without critique, even when the headlines they are reproducing are clearly highly dubious.

The Starmer government is open to criticism on a number of fronts, what I don't see them attempting to do is to micro manage the country in this way.
As someone that works in another Government department and works closely with our comms team at times, I can categorically confirm that statement means absolutely nothing in either direction.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Pubs already open as when it suits - at least the best ones do. As someone else pointed out, economics is a driver, but also what suits the regulars plays a part.

There's also a big labour shortage in hospitality generally, which is a contributing factor.

Funnily enough my pub recently got a poor review on Google because we weren't open long enough (on a Sunday evening in Chichester) for someone's liking. The same moron gave 5 stars for The Ivy, with stunning lack of awareness that one is a huge corporate chain and we're a small, independent, neighbourhood pub.

It is *sucks teeth* what it is.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
They are free to do this now if it makes sense for them?
The vast majority of pubs are operated by big pub companies in the UK, shutting early just because it’s quiet is not an option, it’s all about consistency. You should be open come rain or shine, mobbed or empty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here