Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pub Opening Hours

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Labour looking to tighten controls on pubs opening hours and potentially for them to close earlier to curb the national health emergency. Not sure what times but potentially last orders as a standard at 9pm instead of 11pm.

Surely this will be the death knell of many pubs, not a bad thing in many areas and probably more need for multi faith community centres than your standard pub.
More anti-Labour Fake News.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How about stop the shit coming out. Every day it's another "we're" stop this blah blah howabouts start actually doing shit, doing shit that will help us all. Not banning smoking in open places now this etc. What annoys people is in the scheme of things this should be so far from their thinking it would never appear.
Media !!!

You got to remember the media did its best for labour not win the election . They certainly didn’t help

This viscous still have their agenda.

Let’s judge after a few years and not believe all we read

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I reckon supermarkets selling lager at £1/can is more of an issue for the health of the nation than pubs staying open late. The turbo-drinking is much earlier anyway with the after-work crowd. Are we going to get a constant stream of inane policy proposals ? Thought and hoped we might actually see something useful once the last lot were booted out
It could just be the gutter press making shit up, they're well practiced.

independents tend to open when it best suits them and their locals. It's a very complex system but it works. 🙄

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It was on the BBC News website last week - or is the BBC too right wing for you too ?
There is a piece in the Mail which I have seen online and the last paragraph states that a Health Department spokesperson insists this is categorically untrue.

I don't really want to get into an argument as to where the BBC sits on the political spectrum, but I will say that the news output very strongly represents the traditional press and frequently echoes their output without critique, even when the headlines they are reproducing are clearly highly dubious.

The Starmer government is open to criticism on a number of fronts, what I don't see them attempting to do is to micro manage the country in this way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There is a piece in the Mail which I have seen online and the last paragraph states that a Health Department spokesperson insists this is categorically untrue.

I don't really want to get into an argument as to where the BBC sits on the political spectrum, but I will say that the news output very strongly represents the traditional press and frequently echoes their output without critique, even when the headlines they are reproducing are clearly highly dubious.

The Starmer government is open to criticism on a number of fronts, what I don't see them attempting to do is to micro manage the country in this way.
To be fair it's not the government suggesting the idea - it's Cambridge Uni. Bloody academics!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I read that Labour are thinking of increasing the number of hours in a day to 25.

Stammer OUT!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
One of our local pubs already closes at 9pm during the week, and the landlord is very keen.

This was however a problem when they advertised Euros screenings - he kicked us out at half-time... :facepalm:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why do we need a state to tell us? My mate's country pub shuts at 4 p.m. on a Sunday until noon Wednesday, because economically that works for him, fine. If you had a City Centre pub it'd be dead by 7.30-8 p.m., so shut. We really are becoming Zombies that stand around until told to step left, right or centre, make your own minds up and if your pub is shut, go to one that's open, or create your own pattern that works for you. I'm off to the park to swig a bottle of white lightening and chase the ducks.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I reckon supermarkets selling lager at £1/can is more of an issue for the health of the nation than pubs staying open late. The turbo-drinking is much earlier anyway with the after-work crowd. Are we going to get a constant stream of inane policy proposals ? Thought and hoped we might actually see something useful once the last lot were booted out
This - to save pubs the govt. needs to up the tax on supermarket booze and cut it out altogether for the pub trade. It's cheap and easy to drink whatever and whenever you like these days. Back in the day when pubs shut at 11 (10 in Scotland when I lived there) we'd slurp down a quick one when last orders was called, then go home to bed, or to listen to a couple of LPs first. No thought of extra booze at home - too expensive.

Certainly drank less back in those days!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I read that Labour are thinking of increasing the number of hours in a day to 25.

Stammer OUT!
Nonsense! They'll just decimalise time - 10 new minutes in an hour, ten new hours in a day, etc. (One New Hour will be 2.4 old hours). Worked perfectly for currency after all - no surge in marginal price rises at all, so can't imagine that there would be any problems with time!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Meaning people will drink the same amount just faster. Where do they find these idiot ideas from ?
They're on the same page as brexit.
Just remember all you labour voters, this is what you signed up for....I don't know why you're so surprised that when you elect a clown, you get the circus to go with it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was on the BBC News website last week - or is the BBC too right wing for you too ?
Well if you post a link I'll judge for myself. Also, something that shows someone said 9pm closing times would also help!!

Fact is this is apparently about one junior minister making a comment at a fringe meeting about the need to discuss opening hours and the whole thing gets conflated into the usual suspects jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Meaning people will drink the same amount just faster. Where do they find these idiot ideas from ?
Will they? I quite often leave a drink or two before my mates because I've got to get the train home. I've never asked someone to buy me an extra pint in the round as I'll miss out otherwise

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

When this chap comes out with this on the back of the rumoured smoking in a pub garden thing, it’s a tad inevitable that it’s going to be jumped on no matter which way you think the media is leaning….

In a move to roll back the “continental-cafe style of drinking” introduced by Sir Tony Blair, a public health minister has said the Government is considering “tightening up the hours of operation” of bars and pubs. Andrew Gwynne said the idea was being examined by the Government as part of efforts to improve health and tackle anti-social behaviour.

….but the outrage by some on here who would have been pointing the finger at the Tories ..but can’t quite accept it the other way is amusing to say the least

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here