Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pub Opening Hours

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Labour looking to tighten controls on pubs opening hours and potentially for them to close earlier to curb the national health emergency. Not sure what times but potentially last orders as a standard at 9pm instead of 11pm.

Surely this will be the death knell of many pubs, not a bad thing in many areas and probably more need for multi faith community centres than your standard pub.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
On the radio this morning (R5L Nicky Campbell) they has landlords on who said the busy times in pubs were 4-8pm (basically after work) and after 9pm they might as well shut up. So economics will probably drive it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm already pissed off with this lot (and I voted for therm) typical Labour law law law law, restricting people. FFS sausage man stop it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On the radio this morning (R5L Nicky Campbell) they has landlords on who said the busy times in pubs were 4-8pm (basically after work) and after 9pm they might as well shut up. So economics will probably drive it.
pubs are free to close when the punters stop coming in. many do. this would be about changing licence hours, which sounds like a half baked idea from the fringe that'll die after a day of negative headlines.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Labour looking to tighten controls on pubs opening hours and potentially for them to close earlier to curb the national health emergency. Not sure what times but potentially last orders as a standard at 9pm instead of 11pm.

Surely this will be the death knell of many pubs, not a bad thing in many areas and probably more need for multi faith community centres than your standard pub.
I reckon supermarkets selling lager at £1/can is more of an issue for the health of the nation than pubs staying open late. The turbo-drinking is much earlier anyway with the after-work crowd. Are we going to get a constant stream of inane policy proposals ? Thought and hoped we might actually see something useful once the last lot were booted out

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Doubt it's true

But if by the smallest of chance it is, claiming it's for health reasons is batshit crazy.

People will start earlier or drink at home (more of an issue)

It's as dumb as the 10pm curfew during covid

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m very anti smoking, but I wonder if the no smoking outside proposals, will be devastating for the hospitality industry?
My views on smoking are the same as you

I m not sure it will or it won't, but those in the industry seem to think it will have an impact.

but it's not really the point, it's none of the governments business.

I think our smoking laws are about right, either have the balls to ban it completely or leave it alone

They won't ban it because of the tax it brings in.

The Tories started this with the idea of age banning smoking.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don’t believe the hate campaign that’s in full flow
How about stop the shit coming out. Every day it's another "we're" stop this blah blah howabouts start actually doing shit, doing shit that will help us all. Not banning smoking in open places now this etc. What annoys people is in the scheme of things this should be so far from their thinking it would never appear.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It would be a better idea to leave pub opening hours the same and reduce the duty rates for anything served on licence whilst simultaneously increasing duty on alcohol bought in supermarkets and corner shops.

Problem drinking can be regulated better in pubs.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Meaning people will drink the same amount just faster. Where do they find these idiot ideas from ?
Yep. The main reason that old licensing hours were changed in the first place.

Stupid idiots.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Oh God - it'll be "Scotch Eggs counting as meals" all over again with pubs claiming to be "restaurants".

:facepalm:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We need to protect the hospitality industry not push for policies that make pubs even less viable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here