Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub names

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Springal said:
Mash Tun is a HOLE!!!

we went in there about a year ago and it was a niceish pub, went in there 2 weeks ago, was a sweaty grunge pit!!!!

Went to some more classier establishment next to the big HSBC, opposite Deep Pan Pizza,

You don't mean that Saquarra (or whatever its called) place do you? That's a diabolical rip-off snobs bar.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm a fan of The Albert on trafalager street, but I really like The Nelson too,its just,they are MUCH less likely to serve my underage friends.hehe

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
The Large One said:

The Edinburgh >> The Game of Life >> The Eddy

Wasn't it the Tap and Spile somewhere in the middle too?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Zelgrain, as Alan mentions, and C-Side are to blame. I noticed a fwe weeks back that the Squid and Starfish as been done over and is now a old style pub called The Globe or summat, what'a that about?

The Leek and Winkle is now just 'The Leek' innit? Used to be a wiced pub until they did it over. The C-Side offices used to be above it until they moved to Easy Bar.

Thank heavans for the Rosehill Tavern.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sonic said:
Wasn't it the Tap and Spile somewhere in the middle too?

Good call. It was the Tap & Spile between Edinburgh and Game of Life.

Then there's

The Cranbourne >> Western Front
Lamb & Flag >> Easy Life
Seven Stars >> The Old Vic >> Helsinki >> O'Neills
Admiral Napier >> ?? >> The Sun (or something like that)
King Edward?? >> The Reservoir
The Northern >> Hobgoblin
The Nightingale >> Grand Central

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
When i lived in Hassocks there was a very popular pub named the "Friars Oak".
It was sold off and re-named the "Pilgrim Goose".I started working there when the name changed and all the locals were up in arms because the name had changed.People boycotted drinking in the pub and everything because of the name change.

Anyway..now 5 years later i drove past and noticed the name has been changed back to the "Friars Oak".So i wonder if everyone has started going back there now the names changed back???

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
The Spotted Dog >> The Hop Poles
The Compton Arms >> Couch
Queens Park Tavern >> Something I can't remember

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't remember what the big pub in London Road by Preston Circus used to be called, but it briefly became the Hogshead, and is now The London To Brighton Hog. And the pub signs outside The King And Queen now say Ye Olde King & Queen.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
mona said:
The Cobblers Thumb used to be the New England Inn I think.
True. However, despite his name, 'Hove born and bred' is an outsider (from London I suspect) and doesn't know the history of our town.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Tom Hark said:
Can't remember what the big pub in London Road by Preston Circus used to be called, but it briefly became the Hogshead, and is now The London To Brighton Hog. And the pub signs outside The King And Queen now say Ye Olde King & Queen.

I think the Hogshead was actually Fads before coming a pub.

There's also:

Hedgehog & Hogshead >> The Station
Long Man Of Wilmington >> Long Man
The Wick >> Nan Tuck's Tavern >> The Biscuit Factory

and wasn't it the Cock & Bottle that became The Lectern?

And Alan - how could you forget:

The Branch Tavern >> Cheers >> The Branch Tavern

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One that's not in Brighton at all but in the village of Kemnay, Aberdeenshire, where I sometimes end up on Xmas Day, is called 'The Laird's Throat'. Scary name. But then again, it used to be called 'The Gusset Newt' :ohmy:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
was The counting House previously The Allen Arms?...what was the name of the pub in Howard Road off Elm Grove?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here