Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 Price Drop

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Down to £299 for the 40GB version with Sony phasing out the 60GB version soon as they're sold out.

Sorry if this is fixtures...

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Isn't that the version which doesn't allow you to play PS2 games? Now if they hadn't got rid of that and left the extra USB ports in, then come Christmas time I might have been tempted.
Sony will do anything to get the price of it down to that of a 360. Shame it means ripping the PS3 apart until it's just skin and bones. I should imagine when this doesn't sell very well, the wi-fi will be gone and the price will go down even further.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Still plays ps2 games as far as I know, and the memory is the only thing that has been stripped down.

Saying that though, I haven't gone back to any of my ps2 games anyway, so shouldn't really be a problem...

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
"PLEASE NOTE - This PlayStation 3 model does NOT feature backwards compatibility with PS2 games, or the memory stick card readers found on the 60GB Model."
That's the £299.99 40gb version from Gameplay.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bit desperate isn't it?

The only way they'll do well is if people can't get hold of Wii's this Christmas and end up getting one of these cheapy PS3's instead

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
X Box 360 is the way to go my friends

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Bit desperate isn't it?

The only way they'll do well is if people can't get hold of Wii's this Christmas and end up getting one of these cheapy PS3's instead

I believe its because they have invested so heavily in Blu-Ray and America seems to be favouring HD DVD that they have done this as well !!!

Sony really need Blu-Ray to win that battle !!!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Will be popping out for a 360 at the weekend now that Halo 3 is out.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Good man my m8 saw me playing it and went a brought an 36 elite just for halo! Worth it tho! Already game of the year!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I believe its because they have invested so heavily in Blu-Ray and America seems to be favouring HD DVD that they have done this as well !!!

Sony really need Blu-Ray to win that battle !!!

I'm sure I read America is slightly favouring Blu-Ray with a 60-40 share in favour of it over HD-DVD according to current sales figures

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Backwards compatibility isn't an issue is it? When i got my PS2 i NEVER played PS1 games on it as they looked crap.

Thats what I was thinking. Once you've upgraded, surely you don't go back?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Thats what I was thinking. Once you've upgraded, surely you don't go back?

I would still play the PS1 Final Fantasy games. Probably the best games ever to come out on a console, especially Final Fantasy VII and VIII.
There are a small number of games I wouldn't mind playing on the PS3 but is no where near the number that I want to play on the 360. If Metal Gear and Gran Turismo weren't PS3 exclusives then I really can't see any reason to buy a PS3 over a 360 (except if you desperately want a Blu-Ray player).
I can't see there ever being a winner between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Both companies have invested Billions of Pounds in it and are likely to invest 10x that just to keep it alive. Once the dual HD/Blu-Ray player becomes available at a decent price (sub £150) and both HD and Blu-Ray are still hanging in there, I can't see any dropping out of the race.
The saviour of Blu-Ray has been the PS3 and it's all down to the impending releases of Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo (and I don't think that's an understatement at all).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here