Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 Help required.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Yeah I have high hopes for Heavy Rain too.

Then in March there's the new Final Fantasy EPIC to look forward to.

And when more details come out about a Fallout 3 follow up I will be SUPER excited.

Happy times for PS3 owners

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm so jealous of you, there's still SO much more to come.

I wish more games companies would take a leaf out of Naughty Dog's book and create games like this which really take time to get through, with every SECOND unbelievably good fun along the way.

The thing is I'm just not motivated by online play so once I've exhausted the single player missions a game is largely redundant to me. More time and effort should be put into providing for the solo player.

All the Call of Duty games, as much fun as they are, can be completed within just a few hours and for me this doesn't represent good value.

Give me an Uncharted 2, Fallout 3 or Final Fantasy VII any day of the week

You need to play COD online, that is what they really are about.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
You need to play COD online, that is what they really are about.

But what IS the point? I'm just going to get torn apart by smug yanks who have been playing full time since the game was launched. There's no real skill or tactics required in CoD games so it's all just a matter of who's quickest on the draw and knows all the maps, shirley?

I prefer games like the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six series where you need to make use of cover and plan your strategy in an attack but even these sorts of games are reduced to simple run about killathons when it comes to multiplayer modes.

I guess co-op might be quite fun online but does Modern Warfare even have such an option?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
time to wade in on the irreleant and unhelpful ps3 vs. 360 argument, but i cant help myself

i bought a 360, and sold it to buy a ps3, they give support after warranty, a more reliable quieter console, have a blu-ray player, free online (just as good as live) and better exclusives

only reason i can find for anybody buying a 360 is if they mianly want to play online, and all their mates already have 360s, otherwise no point.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
But what IS the point? I'm just going to get torn apart by smug yanks who have been playing full time since the game was launched. There's no real skill or tactics required in CoD games so it's all just a matter of who's quickest on the draw and knows all the maps, shirley?

I prefer games like the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six series where you need to make use of cover and plan your strategy in an attack but even these sorts of games are reduced to simple run about killathons when it comes to multiplayer modes.

I guess co-op might be quite fun online but does Modern Warfare even have such an option?

Have you tried socom or metal gear online? Both very tactical shooters online, but youll find that the both have a very hardcore following and yoiull just get your ass handed to you for quite some time at first, absolutely wanderful if you stick with it though

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I must admit I was thinking of picking up a copy of Metal Gear 4, especially since it's cheap now but I've not really played any of the other games and apparently there's a lot of story to it which I worry I just wouldn't get.

I also found the demo quite frustrating.

However, perhaps it's worth giving it a go.

Isn't Socom the one you need to play with a headset?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm getting a bit bored of my games selection at the moment to be honest, Fifa 10 is a top game, and good online too, but the others are getting tedious. Bought Metal gear solid 4, but havent even played it yet, so if anyone reccommends i'll give that a go. COD4 is getting a bit old, although much better than world at war, which has shit maps, and worse gameplay than COD4. As Bluejuice says, the added problem is that with online play, you always get some prick who has spent his life on the game, killing everyone 10 times and thus ruining the game. I've heard numerous times that Modern warfare 2 is a lot better, but would still have the problem of having people who sit on it all day.
Any other recommendations?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
All the Call of Duty games, as much fun as they are, can be completed within just a few hours and for me this doesn't represent good value.

Yeah, but the online side of COD increases the playtime pretty damn well.

Can't stay off it at the moment.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
...and as for getting schooled by kids that play it all day: There's no better feeling than when you murk someone online and they're swearing obscenities down the headset. Stick with it and you'll reap the rewards.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009

Yes. Special Ops. And it's WELL cool.

It's like campaigns, so you are playing against the computer, and you have to do certain tasks within a certain time limit to unlock further campaigns.

A very fun one is having to talk through a large open forest area, full of guards, and you both have to work together to pick off the guards (you have a silenced sniper rifle). But they also have dogs. Once miss, from either of you, and you're f***ed.

Try it, it's good. Again, feel free to add me, Hale-9, and I'll play with you.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
...and as for getting schooled by kids that play it all day: There's no better feeling than when you murk someone online and they're swearing obscenities down the headset. Stick with it and you'll reap the rewards.

Agreed, and theres no way it's just about luck. Takes a lot of skill. Try sticking to games like Sabotage or Domination, etc. One or two saddo's can't win the game themselves. Requires a lot of teamwork. Team Deathmatch is pretty dull, and is pretty much run around like a headless chicken shooting.

Also, if you play reguarly, try and get yourself a few mates who are online a lot of the time. My friends list is about 40% of people I don't know, and have just met online, but makes online play on COD a lot better if with them, rather than a team of strangers. You can learn what they are good at, and what they are not so good at.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Alright I'm going to give it a go.

Having just discovered that the African Cup of Nations isn't actually on normal telly that's my day ruined anyway so on the PS3 I shall spend it.

I'll add you Mr Hale, I'm Frankiemoonshine. Any other NSCers who want to join in please do so as I have NO online friends as yet. It just isn't something I've tried.

I've played that wintery sniper spec ops campaign on my own and NEVER once got to the end of the first level. I hadn't realised you could do it with another person. That does rather make sense.

Schweet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here