Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proven Goalscorer Nonsense

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Hypothetical question- are teams who are promoted blessed with a high goalscorer? Or are strikers blessed with goals in a team that is playing well.

I.E - is promotion due to a strikers goals or is a striker merely scoring goals due to the elite performance of the team as a whole.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I.E - is promotion due to a strikers goals or is a striker merely scoring goals due to the elite performance of the team as a whole.

DEFINTELY more the latter, which is why people are so confident that Murray can put 20+ away.

He has a 1 in 2 record when playing in a struggling team, in a team that is working well together and creating plenty of chances I see no reason why he shouldn't improve on that ratio.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
DEFINTELY more the latter, which is why people are so confident that Murray can put 20+ away.

He has a 1 in 2 record when playing in a struggling team, in a team that is working well together and creating plenty of chances I see no reason why he shouldn't improve on that ratio.

Exactly :thumbsup:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Well said. Now let's hope he can stay fit.. I would still welcome another of his ability though: Murray, Barnes, A N OTHER and perhaps Midtgarten(sp?) would be a cracking set of options. Who knows, Holroyd and Hart may even impress.. But that seems less likely.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I know what you are saying but if Murray gets injured or more likely suspended we are screwed. We rely on him to not only score goals but hold up the ball and bring others into play. He IS a great outlet for our back four / midfield. With all due respect to our other options upfront couldn’t see any of them doing that role so effectively, hence why we need another quality frontman.

What a load of shite.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Murray - :clap2:

Barnes - :thumbsup:

Holroyd - :facepalm:

Hart - I don't even class him as a striker these days, some people on here seem to.

We NEED another striker. As even though Barnes played well for us in his short spell last season, he isn't really that proven. In face before he came down here, his record was largely shit.

Barker looks promising, although he is still really young. Baz can play up top apparently, however he was signed as a midfielder.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
murray will never be a 20a season striker:drink:
Absolute rubbish!I bet he gets at least 20 bookings before he becomes too delicate to appear for the rest of the season :drink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A team can easily get carry on up the league with two 10-15 goals a season strikers and the midfield pinging them in all over the place and the defence chipping in now and again. Place all your hopes and dreams in a single player and you're a bit stuffed really, no matter how prolific that player is.

I can see MOST of your points, yet a team chasing promotion needs a good set of strikers, we currently have only two in Murray and Barnes. We HAVE to sign another one, it is crucial to our success this season. Murray get's too many booking's and Barnes although a hit on loan last season, is quite inexperienced and can only boast about 4 or 5 goals for Eastbourne Untied prior to his stint at the Albion.

Holroyd will run all day yet NEVER score and Hart is simply not good enough for this League any more and to class him as a striker is quite frankly ludicrous. However there is the surprise package of Baz who 'can' play upfront. I watched him train on Wednesday and he didn't miss one out of about 10 or 11 shots he had on goal. I know that doesn't make him a great striker yet you can just tell that the guy is going to be class.

Norwich= Holt
Leeds= Lambert
Millwall= Morison
Swindon= Paynter
Huddersfield= Rhodes
Southampton= Lambert ................... There seems to be a slight pattern forming.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
P'boro - Mackail Smith and Mclean - both capable of 20 goals this season.
Swindon - Austin capable of 20 + goals
Sheff Wed - Tudgay, Morrison and Mellor all capable of at least 15.
Huddersfield - Rhodes and Garner capable of at least 20
Southampton - Barnard and Lambert capable of 20 each.
Brighton - Murray capable of 15 and Barnes capable of at least 10-15

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Come on Mr Bloom we all know you have money so why dont you spend it on a decent striker from the premiership like Fernando Torres ?. He might be our 20-30 goal striker?

:jester:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hart - I don't even class him as a striker these days, some people on here seem to.

According to the club site he is a midfielder. I know he said he wanted to concentrate on playing as a striker, but that doesn't mean he is one and perhaps getting a contract at Brighton was more important than playing his favoured role.

Having said that, I seem to recall several of his appearances late last year were as a sub replacing a forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here