Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proven Goalscorer Nonsense

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Just to put the record straight, I don't think this 25 goal striker is just a myth created on NSC. I'm assuming a lot of people got it from articles such as this (on the argus a couple of months ago)..

Albion can't afford proven goal-getter From The Argus)

Still definitely think we need another striker at least of Murray's quality.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Just to put the record straight, I don't think this 25 goal striker is just a myth created on NSC. I'm assuming a lot of people got it from articles such as this (on the argus a couple of months ago)..

Albion can't afford proven goal-getter From The Argus)

Still definitely think we need another striker at least of Murray's quality.

I think were lucky to have someone like Murray IMO. The bloke can score goals and with his personal life seemingly sorted he will come good next season.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know it was Chelsea youth tonight but how about swapping Glenda for Jon-Paul Pittman-ex Crawley player that sneaked away to Wycombe,or has he had a tryout before?:dunce:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What that shows is that 5 of the top 6 last season had a striker who scored at least 23 goals. We don't have a striker who can score 23 goals.

Ok so you may not agree with the first point we don't neccasarily need a 25 goal a season man, sure it helps I agree with you there. How many of these players were proven 25 goal a season men before the clubs they played for last season??

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Ok so you may not agree with the first point we don't neccasarily need a 25 goal a season man, sure it helps I agree with you there. How many of these players were proven 25 goal a season men before the clubs they played for last season??

Thats the thing, many of these 25 goal strikers have never scored 25 goals before that season. Look at Paynter who was always a 10-15 goal lower league journeyman, Austin was unknown and Morison came from the lower leagues so was far from proven. But you look at all the successfull teams over the years in this division(off the top of my head) and all have had 25 goal strikers. The likes of Paynter, Beckford, Hooper, Sharp, Fryatt, Scotland etc etc.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ward and zamora- neither were 25 goals a season at any level before they came to us. It is highly unlikely that we will sign a 25 goals a season striker. What we will do is sign someone with the potential .... Or backup to Glenda who injury fee and now not playing second fiddle to Forster may be the man, either way at a minimum we need another striker capable of playing for a top league 1 side.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Murray will be that man. This is his season for sure.

So if - and it's obviously a hypothetical if - someone like Ricky Lambert were to be persuaded to join our band of merry men in blue & white stripes - would people think our chances of automatic promotion were likely to be:

a) unaffected
b) slightly better
c) greatly improved

I know which one I would choose

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
C) obviously...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So if - and it's obviously a hypothetical if - someone like Ricky Lambert were to be persuaded to join our band of merry men in blue & white stripes - would people think our chances of automatic promotion were likely to be:

a) unaffected
b) slightly better
c) greatly improved

I know which one I would choose

We all know what the answer to that is but we're not going to sign a £1m+ player which is what a proven goalscorer at this level is probably going to cost unless they're now towards the autumn of their career.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I heard a rumour that we were all set to sign Billy Paynter until Leeds came in for him.
Supposedly he would have been the 25 goal striker.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I heard a rumour that we were all set to sign Billy Paynter until Leeds came in for him.
Supposedly he would have been the 25 goal striker.

Sure I read that Poyet asked about him but couldn't afford his wages even before Leeds were sniffing around

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I would honestly rather have Murray than Paynter, I think hes a far better player and as Giraffe said above he could well bang in 25 this season.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
The last six teams promoted from League One have ALL had a 20+ goal scorer.
But only two of the six before that did.

So it seems, it would certainly help but is not imperative.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In response to Gav1901.

03/04
Plymouth - Friio 14, Evans 12, Keith 9
QPR - Gallen 17, Furlong 16

04/05
Luton - Howard 18, Brkovic 15

05/06
Colchester - Iwelumo 17

All of those have been promoted automatically from L1. I would do the rest to present day, but I need to nip out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here