Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not that I can see although it’s funny the baying mob seem out to get them anyway, are they really any different?
Since when did one person become a "baying mob"?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Think I've seen something about an anti immigration protest planned in Crawley on Friday ?.
That will be a good indication of the effectiveness of yesterday's turnout.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shirley it should say "From the Pylons to the sea..."? Other than that, top work!
Yes, I suspect the residents of Patcham may be most perturbed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
maybe but there was a guy in the yellow vest that gave a sly dig to one of them when the police woman turned her back so not sure

Looked like a few more as Brett Mendoza posted a pic up of a few different ones

They have the look of people who were invited to a fancy dress party, only to turn up and find out they're the only people wearing fancy dress.

Their expressions seem to say, "We've been royally stitched up here"!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Since when did one person become a "baying mob"?
I love cryptic clues.
I reckon the answer is AMY GIBBON

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well no counter protest tried to set fire to a hotel yesterday, so that's one difference.
I get your view of course, although we all want peace don’t we? The far rights are being locked up and rightly so, don’t get why vigilante’s online want to get involved to name and shame a few people who didn’t do anything as far as we know and apparently got a lift home from the OB.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sorry to dampen the euphoria but only one form of racism on one end of the political spectrum was challenged last night.

Racism is racism and is equally abhorrent whether promoted by the left or right
While I entirely agree anti semitism is abhorrent and should be challenged the figures here are collated by a charity I would describe as very pro Israel and are self reported. If you look at them you'll notice the big rise in incidents in higher education. This can be a student reporting they felt afraid because other students were protesting against genocide.
The systemic conflation of anti semitism with criticism of Israel does no one any favours (except Israel).
To be clear I'm not saying anti-semitism hasn't increased, I would be surprised if it hadn't. Just as a few publicized incidents of crime by Muslims tip some into islamophobia it would be odd not to think the latest surge in atrocities by Israel has not tipped some into anti semitism.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
IIRC there was another protest planned for Brighton for this evening, from some of the stuff that was being bandied around prior to yesterday's damp squid ( ;) )

Presume that's a non-starter now. Again, IIRC I thought it was more concentrated around the Clock Tower?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Yep. Not sure I saw anyone hurl bricks or a binfire at the OB, walk into a riot shield or pull people from cars either.

There was some good dancing though.
Now, to be fair, people did attempt to egg the anti-immigration lot and I believe a singular banana skin was thrown. An amount of "damage" the council rectified with one power washer this morning. Only thing actually hurt might be some right wing egos.

From what I saw in various videos even the counter-protestors right at the police line were just chanting and singing songs.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Now, to be fair, people did attempt to egg the anti-immigration lot and I believe a singular banana skin was thrown. An amount of "damage" the council rectified with one power washer this morning. Only thing actually hurt might be some right wing egos.

From what I saw in various videos even the counter-protestors right at the police line were just chanting and singing songs.
There was also some mask wearing, mainly by the drummers of the band whom I assume were hiding their identities as they could not keep time properly.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I get your view of course, although we all want peace don’t we? The far rights are being locked up and rightly so, don’t get why vigilante’s online want to get involved to name and shame a few people who didn’t do anything as far as we know and apparently got a lift home from the OB.
Yeah I agree to that, these people did rock up, not do anything, got embarrassed, that should be the end of it.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sorry to dampen the euphoria but only one form of racism on one end of the political spectrum was challenged last night.

Racism is racism and is equally abhorrent whether promoted by the left or right
Absolutely

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On that basis i assume you think that given the number of immigrants it’s hardly a surprise there’s an anti immigrant reaction?

Eh? You're suggesting that the UK having immigrants is like Israel's bombing of Palestine?

Or are you ok with anti semitism?
I'm not ok with antisemitism and I'm not ok with what Israel are doing. Given what Israel are doing it's hardly a surprise that there's a rise in antisemitism though is it. That obviously doesn't mean I condone it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here