Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, they’ve shown themselves up for what they truly are.

I predict / hope for a swing to national tolerance after this despicable display of hatred and violence.
The murders were clearly one of the most upsetting crimes in our nations history.

But I've started to wonder if maybe everything which has happened since then might in the long run be positive.

They are out now, no more hiding in the shadows of social media. The government has clear public support for a clamp down of illegal social media comments, even the daily mail have realised they need to retreat from their regular incendiary headlines

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The truth is that with low wages lack of job security shortage of truly affordable housing all of which results in women leaving having children much later in life and are on average only having 1.5 children when we need 2.1 just to stop the decline and 3.0 to grow the population to the levels required.
We have one sector of the population that is growing and that’s the older generations like myself no longer working and paying taxes, using the services of the NHS more and more while being kept alive decades longer than previous generations while living in homes they own having benefited from bequests of previous generations low house prices sensible public rental property and low wage to loan rates 3.5 an average yearly wage for one person would secure a mortgage on a three bedroom house in Brighton
Great post

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why are these rioters and looters such God-awful individuals and crap at everything?

Is there a causal link there somewhere that we've all missed?

Litter chuckers/they often hurt animals/hurt people/no civic pride/illegally park on disabled bays/ruin the lives of neighbours.

The Venn diagram with a huge overlap.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The truth is that with low wages lack of job security shortage of truly affordable housing all of which results in women leaving having children much later in life and are on average only having 1.5 children when we need 2.1 just to stop the decline and 3.0 to grow the population to the levels required.
We have one sector of the population that is growing and that’s the older generations like myself no longer working and paying taxes, using the services of the NHS more and more while being kept alive decades longer than previous generations while living in homes they own having benefited from bequests of previous generations low house prices sensible public rental property and low wage to loan rates 3.5 an average yearly wage for one person would secure a mortgage on a three bedroom house in Brighton
The more we grow in numbers, the faster we destroy the planet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does this calm down / end?

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they will feel the full force of the law etc.

I guess it was hoped that some rapid prosecutions and the handing out of stiff sentences would male people think twice, but will it be a strong enough deterrent? Thousands have been involved in this and the majority won't be brought to task. If you wear plain clothing and a mask/balaclava there's probably limited chance of being recognised and receiving that morning-after knock on the door.

In 2011, I recall feeling worried that the bad guys had figured out that with sufficient numbers on the streets, they could overwhelm police forces. This feels like it's got the potential to escalate beyond that, and now there seem to be indications that Muslim groups are also mobilising,

So, how does it end - any ideas?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The murders were clearly one of the most upsetting crimes in our nations history.

But I've started to wonder if maybe everything which has happened since then might in the long run be positive.

They are out now, no more hiding in the shadows of social media. The government has clear public support for a clamp down of illegal social media comments, even the daily mail have realised they need to retreat from their regular incendiary headlines
I agree.

I am concerned that some Muslim youth seem to be reacting. Have faith in the system and keep your heads down. Or the after-timing will retro-blame you for it all.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Depends whether you count voting reform as far right voting. I suspect most of the rioters voted reform and (i hate to say this but…) feel aggrieved how few seats (despite millions of votes) they got in parliament whilst labour got a massive majority with only c 1/3 of the votes.
At some point we are going to have to look hard at why so many people are so aggrieved throughout democratic societies.

It’s an uncomfortable thought right now but people do not riot or counter protest when broadly happy with the society in which they live.
We don't have to look that hard. They are aggrieved because for the last 14 years they have been hit by austerity, covid, and Brexit, seeing their communities and services slashed, their cost of living increase and their standard of living decrease.

Why are they targeting mosques and asylum seekers?

Because they have been persuaded that these are the people that have caused their problems.

Not rioting are the ruling classes who over the same period have enjoyed huge bonuses, huge profits, less restriction on their business practices, seats in the house of lords, high paid jobs in the press and little scrutiny or consequence for their nefarious and/or calamitous actions.

You will note that they are not rioting

Its really quite simple.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How does this calm down / end?

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they would feel the full force of the law etc.

I guess it was hoped that some rapid prosecutions and the handing out of stiff sentences would male people think twice, but will it be a strong enough deterrent? Thousands have been involved in this and the majority won't be brought to task. If you wear plain clothing and a mask/balaclava there's probably limited chance of being recognised and receiving that morning-after knock on the door.

In 2011, I recall feeling worried that the bad guys had figured out that with sufficient numbers on the streets, they could overwhelm police forces. This feels like it's got the potential to escalate beyond that, and now there seem to be indications that Muslim groups are also mobilising,

So, how does it end - any ideas?
Arrests and prosecutions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here