Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How does this calm down / end?

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they will feel the full force of the law etc.

I guess it was hoped that some rapid prosecutions and the handing out of stiff sentences would male people think twice, but will it be a strong enough deterrent? Thousands have been involved in this and the majority won't be brought to task. If you wear plain clothing and a mask/balaclava there's probably limited chance of being recognised and receiving that morning-after knock on the door.

In 2011, I recall feeling worried that the bad guys had figured out that with sufficient numbers on the streets, they could overwhelm police forces. This feels like it's got the potential to escalate beyond that, and now there seem to be indications that Muslim groups are also mobilising,

So, how does it end - any ideas?

I agree that they won't listen to Starmer. I guess the question is 'who might they listen to?'

Farage and the rest of Reform are apparently quite about this. (surely a first?).

Ten names Tommy is supporting his people from a Sunbed by a hotel pool somewhere.

Hopefully muslin leaders and imans will call for calm from their side.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they will feel the full force of the law etc.

I guess it was hoped that some rapid prosecutions and the handing out of stiff sentences would male people think twice, but will it be a strong enough deterrent? Thousands have been involved in this and the majority won't be brought to task. If you wear plain clothing and a mask/balaclava there's probably limited chance of being recognised and receiving that morning-after knock on the door.

In 2011, I recall feeling worried that the bad guys had figured out that with sufficient numbers on the streets, they could overwhelm police forces. This feels like it's got the potential to escalate beyond that, and now there seem to be indications that Muslim groups are also mobilising,

Well I'm optimistic that our PM will get this sorted. He was DPP back in 2011. There will be swift justice which will give those that want to get involved pause for thought. In the longer term, social media needs to be sorted out. As do those that have stoked, provoked, organised all of this online.
More broadly, do the following:
-- stand up against Bannon and the Nationalist International, Putin, Trump et al
-- do what @Herr Tubthumper suggests, and give some money to migrant charities
-- recognise that 'free speech' has limits (even JS Mill knew that)
-- embrace the diversity of human life

All of this is a long historical culmination:
People knew what fascism was in the 50s, 60s and 70s because most had direct experience of it or their direct relations did at least. Now, its horrors have been swept under the carpet.
We need to value all members of society more, including manual work, trades, etc but that comes along with confronting those that do manual work that want to engage in racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc
We need a new narrative following on from the slow demise of the neoliberal one that dominated from 1979-2008, and that has been on life-support subsequently. And this needs to not only inspire us, but deliver such that more feel involved and connected.
And some other stuff too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As other posters have stated, they aren't going to find and arrest the majority of these pricks
3,000 got arrested after the 2011 riots, over 2,000 got charged. It took months. Even more SM evidence and other surveillance around now so easier to track them down.

Director of Public Prosections at the time ? Keir Starmer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they would feel the full force of the law etc.

On identifying people, an ex senior copper said it will happen. Because they weren’t masked up when they passed CCTV on their way to or from riots. Painstaking trawling through footage and linking to later crimes.

Short term …. some rain, ring leaders held on remand, for wannabees solitary brain cells engage when realising long prison terms are in store for joining in (defendants cried in the dock today).

Medium to long term …. how to prevent malevolent prevent lies published on Facebook and Twatter, give willing people opportunity and hope with skills training, jobs and hope of housing.

The hardest nut to crack might be a couple of gens of lazy f@ckers, only interested in their xBox, cocaine and watching conspiracy videos.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Starmer's strong words were never going to deter anyone. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that because of him in any way, but those involved in the rioting are not going to pay heed to anyone in authority suggesting they would feel the full force of the law etc.

A total ban on protests/marches for a period? Civil liberties can be restored later.

Proscribe far-right parties, and all other organisations and individuals, found to be guilty of inciting riots.

Still got a problem? You've still got the military, and martial law.

It has to be stopped. The alternative is a breakdown of law and order, and a descent into anarchy.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

One big fight to the death like the hunger games , doubling the nations average IQ in the process

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We don't have to look that hard. They are aggrieved because for the last 14 years they have been hit by austerity, covid, and Brexit, seeing their communities and services slashed, their cost of living increase and their standard of living decrease.

Why are they targeting mosques and asylum seekers?

Because they have been persuaded that these are the people that have caused their problems.

Not rioting are the ruling classes who over the same period have enjoyed huge bonuses, huge profits, less restriction on their business practices, seats in the house of lords, high paid jobs in the press and little scrutiny or consequence for their nefarious and/or calamitous actions.

You will note that they are not rioting

Its really quite simple.
Some very strongly worded letters were sent to The Telegraph when it seemed VAT was going to he levied on Private Education though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some very strongly worded letters were sent to The Telegraph when it seemed VAT was going to he levied on Private Education though.
My guess is that they were more effective that these fellas smashing up a budget hotel full of people running for their lives.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
:facepalm:

I'm, nearly as old as your dad.

You know nothing about me but, amusingly, I know quite a bit about you ???

I am going to put you on ignore, because you are a big baby and have nothing to add to the conversation.

Edit and (sadly) the old man too.

ta ra.
Fantastic

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well I'm optimistic that our PM will get this sorted. He was DPP back in 2011. There will be swift justice which will give those that want to get involved pause for thought. In the longer term, social media needs to be sorted out. As do those that have stoked, provoked, organised all of this online.
More broadly, do the following:
-- stand up against Bannon and the Nationalist International, Putin, Trump et al
-- do what @Herr Tubthumper suggests, and give some money to migrant charities
-- recognise that 'free speech' has limits (even JS Mill knew that)
-- embrace the diversity of human life

All of this is a long historical culmination:
People knew what fascism was in the 50s, 60s and 70s because most had direct experience of it or their direct relations did at least. Now, its horrors have been swept under the carpet.
We need to value all members of society more, including manual work, trades, etc but that comes along with confronting those that do manual work that want to engage in racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc
We need a new narrative following on from the slow demise of the neoliberal one that dominated from 1979-2008, and that has been on life-support subsequently. And this needs to not only inspire us, but deliver such that more feel involved and connected.
And some other stuff too.
This.

Those who appear to have given up need to give their heads a wobble.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
:facepalm:

I'm, nearly as old as your dad.

You know nothing about me but, amusingly, I know quite a bit about you ???

I am going to put you on ignore, because you are a big baby and have nothing to add to the conversation.

Edit and (sadly) the old man too.

ta ra.
I always thought of you as decent poster for all the years I have been on here. In just a few posts tonight I've perhaps seen the real you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
saw some Man U kit in the "counter protest" oop north. football could be interesting flash point on the terraces in some towns in coming weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here