[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are seeing the horsesh!t effect in full flow, within 24 hours there have been “protesters” giving nazi salutes from the far right and the far left. Both are awful but only the image of the far right one made the mainstream media. The keffiyeh clad one was only seen on twitter, I wonder why?
Corrected for you :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I mean, how does anyone think trying to set fire to a large building full of people is ok/merited/justifiable?

Housing asylum seekers or not, it will also be full of local people working. Amost cettainly people who someone you know, knows.

It's pure evil.

It is pure evil, but it's a particular type of pure evil: it's fascism.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How does one go about educating and persuading oafs like this? They're not interested in being educated.
It has been done before. Society has shifted before.

1972/3 - Me as a kid in the car with my grandparents driving through Brighton. My grandmother saw a man of colour, pointed and said "oo look there's a darky". I remember it well. She was a different person 10 years later.

Now you never can change everyone's attitude and views. You can change enough though.

Let's start by really going after those that whip this up online. Cage the dog whistlers.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Good as it may feel to those liberal, affluent sorts mocking the underclass, but that is part of the reason why certain segments of society feel disenfranchised, partly why Brexit happened…and partly why numerous other acts of civil disobedience have occurred probably all the way back to the peasants revolt! Not feeling listened to lies at the heart of all gripes. Of course, once violence is underway there’s little to stop it. The opportunities to prevent lie beforehand and with hindsight.

Guardian did a superb article on this post Brexit, recognising how condescending arrogance towards many disenfranchised communities contributed.
Aw bless, I’m feeling patronised, let’s go drag some innocent people from their cars and maybe burn some people to death.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Aw bless, I’m feeling patronised, let’s go drag some innocent people from their cars and maybe burn some people to death.

Bit distorted. But hey, whatever.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

1972/3 - Me as a kid in the car with my grandparents driving through Brighton. My grandmother saw a man of colour, pointed and said "oo look there's a darky". I remember it well. She was a different person 10 years later.

Now you never can change everyone's attitude and views. You can change enough though.

Let's start by really going after those that whip this up online. Cage the dog whistlers.

The owners of social media? Good luck with that…!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I suppose the difference is your grandmother was unlikely to have said it with hatred in her heart. It was only ten years ago my Dad nudged me at a bus stop when a huge black bloke walked by and said 'Look, Big Chief Umbawulla'. He meant no ill. The Daily Mail uses the right words. Nigel Farage is careful with his diction. Yet it is the media and people like him who are the real problem. Not old folk who haven't come to terms with modern terminologies.

The Times announced today that 'Riots engulf' us. I took a lovely drive into the countryside today and saw none. Except maybe Waitrose at Storrington if it had ran out of organic pears. All sensation. They're loving it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What we're seeing now is outbreaks of outright fascism. Houses daubed in racist graffiti, setting fire to asylum accommodation, targeting Mosques, physically beating minorities. It's been stoked online and by politicians for a long time but it's shocking to see.
This needs repeating over and over again. No mealy-mouthed alternatives. Fascism is running amok.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I feel there’s a world of difference between your grandmother’s comment and feeling compelled to set a local hotel ablaze. I agree the government need to go after the instigators but these twats need dealing with first.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
What we're seeing now is outbreaks of outright fascism. Houses daubed in racist graffiti, setting fire to asylum accommodation, targeting Mosques, physically beating minorities. It's been stoked online and by politicians for a long time but it's shocking to see.
100%

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I don’t see any news stories corroborating that tweet that the Tamworth Hotel has “completely gone up in flames”

In fact journalists reporting from the scene are saying it’s quietened down with police leaning on their shields.

There was a small fire lit in the ground floor entrance earlier but presumably now out ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here