Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
This is beyond disgusting, I want to see maximum sentences across the board.

There was never any justification for these events, but setting fire to buildings with people in them?

To hear the audio and cheers of the absolute bottom of the barrel scum perpetrating this, and to see their sympathisers on this thread trying to justify this, makes my skin crawl.

Lock them up, every last one of the scumbags. Don’t let me know if you’ve anything to say in their defence, just pop me on ignore, I’ve nothing to say to you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel there’s a world of difference between your grandmother’s comment and feeling compelled to set a local hotel ablaze. I agree the government need to go after the instigators but these twats need dealing with first.

Social media has created millions of haters in the UK. A conveyor belt of lies to get people angry. Not just the events now, also antisemitism. This has been coming for a while, the illiterate and the nasty have been emboldened for a few years now. Ethnic minorities report low level stuff such as “You’re not welcome here” being shouted by strangers.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Can this country absorb 700k approx net migration per annum ? Chronic shortages in housing, health services etc. If this Labour Govt does meet its housing targets of 300k per year, that would just about house those numbers. It would do nothing to help house the tens of thousands on waiting lists, or indeed bring prices down for our kids wanting to get on the housing ladder. These scenes disgust me, just mindless thuggery, rent a mob racist destruction. There should be an adult debate about levels of immigration in this country, sadly this behaviour is likely to push that further off the political agenda.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On Sky News now they had 2 reporters, one in Rotherham and one in Middlesbrough and they apologise for reporting on their smart phones because it's not safe for their film crews to get the cameras out.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is beyond disgusting, I want to see maximum sentences across the board.

There was never any justification for these events, but setting fire to buildings with people in them?

To hear the audio and cheers of the absolute bottom of the barrel scum perpetrating this, and to see their sympathisers on this thread trying to justify this, makes my skin crawl.

Lock them up, every last one of the scumbags. Don’t let me know if you’ve anything to say in their defence, just pop me on ignore, I’ve nothing to say to you.
Well said.

And let's not forget, this is all because some white people have hurty feelings.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I feel there’s a world of difference between your grandmother’s comment and feeling compelled to set a local hotel ablaze. I agree the government need to go after the instigators but these twats need dealing with first.
There are 2 things right now : the immediate and the longer term cure.

The longer term shift in the attitudes of some can be attained with a proper longer term plan. I hope that really includes going after Internet incitement. Changes to existing legislation. Shutting down/blocking Internet bot armies, real penalties for social media companies etc. Shining a light on Russian etc. hybrid warfare. Which politicians are indirectly funded by the Kremlin. Let's find out. Loads of work to do here.

As for the immediate, some fast track huge gaol sentences should dampen enthusiasm a bit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don’t see any news stories corroborating that tweet that the Tamworth Hotel has “completely gone up in flames”

In fact journalists reporting from the scene are saying it’s quietened down with police leaning on their shields.

There was a small fire lit in the ground floor entrance earlier but presumably now out ?
It’s very much in the interest of the people like Sydney Jones to imply that all hell is breaking loose there, as is the case with a lot of right wing content providers on X.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
On Sky News now they had 2 reporters, one in Rotherham and one in Middlesbrough and they apologise for reporting on their smart phones because it's not safe for their film crews to get the cameras out.......
Plus ça change

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Proper bunch of thickos. Intel will be on a high alert now and knocks on doors will take place from tomorrow and go on for many months. They’ll be locked up for stupidity alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Social media has created millions of haters in the UK. A conveyor belt of lies to get people angry. Not just the events now, also antisemitism. This has been coming for a while, the illiterate and the nasty have been emboldened for a few years now. Ethnic minorities report low level stuff such as “You’re not welcome here” being shouted by strangers.
Very sad. Maybe we, the public, need to do more to help the situation? I’m not sure what though. If you’re not a white British person and living in one of these trouble zones it must be absolutely terrifying at the moment.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Can this country absorb 700k approx net migration per annum ? Chronic shortages in housing, health services etc. If this Labour Govt does meet its housing targets of 300k per year, that would just about house those numbers. It would do nothing to help house the tens of thousands on waiting lists, or indeed bring prices down for our kids wanting to get on the housing ladder. These scenes disgust me, just mindless thuggery, rent a mob racist destruction. There should be an adult debate about levels of immigration in this country, sadly this behaviour is likely to push that further off the political agenda.
We have so much land that is not used for agriculture and could be built on if only we were willing and building companies didn’t sit of massive land banks. There are also a few issues. Lack of skilled labour to build what we need because we got rid of the European types.

There is also a huge issue with empty homes. Second home ownership is ridiculous. They could massively ramp up capital gains on houses and then suddenly it is not in the rich multi property owning people’s interest to prevent house price drops. Where my mum lives in Devon there are villages that are basically empty all winter due to second home ownership. It is crazy.

Providing a few family services could also help keep families together which would reduce the demand for houses.

I would love to hear a proposal on how the health and care sectors would work if we stopped recruiting immigrants. At the care home where my wife’s grandad died a couple of months ago there were only two members of staff I came across who were British. 10-12 from overseas. They do jobs we don’t want to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
@neilbard justifying fascism on the grounds of people being ignored.

Well I'm putting the fucker on ignore.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This needs repeating over and over again. No mealy-mouthed alternatives. Fascism is running amok.
Personally I wouldn’t even give the majority of rioters the credence of having a political ideology - or make the motivation relevant - the far right certainly is the initial cause online and they are involved in the ground but for the majority of rioters there this is pure unadulterated thuggery and gratuitous mob violence by people most of whom wouldn’t know the difference between one political ideology from another.

If I was going to label it - it would be ‘anarchy’ something that ironically is an anathema to fascism but I don’t want to legitimise it by giving it any kind of label.
It’s very much in the interest of the people like Sydney Jones to imply that all hell is breaking loose there, as is the case with a lot of right wing content providers on X.
That was my thinking too which is why I challenged it. .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I said at BREXIT that this would happen. I hasten to add that this is not because of BREXIT itself as a political concept though. It is because of a misguided rhetoric about identity and Britishness which has quickened and been fueled in various parts of society. I expected it.

The search, or claiming, of identity is for the weak minded and it follows, easily led. A person's identity exists in a different dimension that they create themselves. I'm English, okay, I'm from Sussex (I love that) but it's only integral to who I am by choice. It doesn't impede on my existence. For insecure people it is their goal. And that's why they fight for it.

As every day goes by I feel like I'm letting the 'English' bit go these days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very sad. Maybe we, the public, need to do more to help the situation? I’m not sure what though. If you’re not a white British person and living in one of these trouble zones it must be absolutely terrifying at the moment.

I’ve been taken aback by the huge numbers of oafs. Ten years ago these clashes might be 150 vs 150 ANTIFA chucking stones at each other in Dover, kettled by the police. A different world from this neck of the woods.

Starmer/Cooper said no more legislation is required. I wonder.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This needs repeating over and over again. No mealy-mouthed alternatives. Fascism is running amok.

Thuggery yes, but we’re a million miles from a March on Rome or Beerhall coup. This country is still a strong democracy. These perpetrators will be dealt with. A few hundred thugs and their moronic onlookers hasn’t shaken our foundations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are 2 things right now : the immediate and the longer term cure.

The longer term shift in the attitudes of some can be attained with a proper longer term plan. I hope that really includes going after Internet incitement. Changes to existing legislation. Shutting down/blocking Internet bot armies, real penalties for social media companies etc. Shining a light on Russian etc. hybrid warfare. Which politicians are indirectly funded by the Kremlin. Let's find out. Loads of work to do here.

As for the immediate, some fast track huge gaol sentences should dampen enthusiasm a bit.
The eco warriors got 5 years recently. I'm rubbing my hands with anticipation.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Apart from a terrorist incident, I don't believe that troops should deal with domestic issues. What are they going to do differently from the Police, who have years of experience and training in dealing with riots and protests.

Martial law in England is a slippery slope that should be avoided.
Aren’t these basically terrorist incidents? Rioting mobs setting buildings on fire with people in them because of ideology, sounds exactly like a terrorist incident to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here