Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Keir Starmer really did not read a lot of the room when he delivered that press conference after the Southport riots. Has he forgotten already that Reform nationwide received the third highest percentage of votes at the GE? I agree with above posts this has been an undercurrent for years, waiting to erupt. His dismissal of much of the British public, from ‘far right simpletons’ to the more educated with far right views. He effectively, in my opinion, labelled anyone right of centre a thug, amongst other names.

That press conference was bordering incompetence and has added so much fuel to the fire it’s untrue. The Home Secretary isn’t helping matters with her social media posts either. The riots are more about the two tier approach to policing and general politics than they are about the poor young girls being murdered imo. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. Would the further riots since Southport, such as Sunderland tonight and several planned this weekend now, have gone ahead without his reactionary comments since? I’m not sure they would have.
To be fair, the far right are indeed simpletons, and they really should be given short shrift.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sorry but disagree - the absolute point this thread is focussed on is that far right extremists are using social media accounts to incite hatred and organise violent behaviour.

I appreciate that we are not from the same political persuasion (I’m left of centre and I guess from your posting history, you are not) but don’t water down the truth of how social media is being appropriated by the far right, by bringing the left into the argument as well and saying they are as bad as each other because they are both ‘political’.

These riots aren’t ’political protests’, they are unadulterated violence and hatred - many of the rioters just going for the craic.

As I said, it is not the far left that is behind all this rioting nor is it far left/hard left leaders that have been dog whistling to anti-muslim racists ever since we decided to hold a referendum on Brexit.
The point of any thread is to discuss things in relation to the topic, there is no absolute in anything as long as it stays polite

The absolute point of NSC is football chat.

I'm not sure what you think I've posted about watering down social media impact, I want it all fully regulated (proof of who you are/banning those that post lies etc) which would help remove some of the scum bags off the sites, this needs to apply to right and left leaning sites, till this is done nothing will improve on these sites and both sides are
Just going to wind each other up.

I also think that companies like google need to be more transparent in what they are doing.

Some of these people believe it's a political protest because of the rubbish they have picked up online and a perceived idea the world is against them, with another larger number who are just going for a fight,

Jul 20, 2003
Poverty’s linked to crime.

But I’ll wait a little to see the occupation of those charged in Southport, Whitehall, Hartlepool and Sunderland. It might reveal people in trades, jobs or professions. Often it’s a surprise to see who’s been charged.
Pure speculation on my part, but I think there'll be very little poverty/hardship among those charged.

There will definitely be a somewhat junior letting agent involved.

Who turns up in court in his awful suit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course normal folk would want it stopped, but were you suggesting that certain minorities being specifically targeted should accept it, more than you or I?
If certain areas have a higher knife crime issue there should certainly be more searches, that doesn't mean minorities
I'd expect more searches in the west midlands than other areas for example.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
To be fair, the far right are indeed simpletons, and they really should be given short shrift.
Precisely the point he stupidly made. Labelling a massive proportion of the electorate as such is naive at best, incompetent at worst. He’s made it impossible to be anywhere on the right other than ‘far right’. If you disagree with him, labour, or anyone on the left at all you are immediately far right. Keep telling people they are far right and eventually they will act as such.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Precisely the point he stupidly made. Labelling a massive proportion of the electorate as such is naive at best, incompetent at worst. He’s made it impossible to be anywhere on the right other than ‘far right’. If you disagree with him, labour, or anyone on the left at all you are immediately far right. Keep telling people they are far right and eventually they will act as such.
No, one can be 'right' without being 'far right' - the same applies to the 'left'.
The far right (who are the vile and obnoxious thugs - I have better words for them, but that's by the by) are indeed simpletons...at best.
And by whose criteria is 14% a 'massive proportion'?

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Keir Starmer really did not read a lot of the room when he delivered that press conference after the Southport riots. Has he forgotten already that Reform nationwide received the third highest percentage of votes at the GE? I agree with above posts this has been an undercurrent for years, waiting to erupt. His dismissal of much of the British public, from ‘far right simpletons’ to the more educated with far right views. He effectively, in my opinion, labelled anyone right of centre a thug, amongst other names.

That press conference was bordering incompetence and has added so much fuel to the fire it’s untrue. The Home Secretary isn’t helping matters with her social media posts either. The riots are more about the two tier approach to policing and general politics than they are about the poor young girls being murdered imo. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. Would the further riots since Southport, such as Sunderland tonight and several planned this weekend now, have gone ahead without his reactionary comments since? I’m not sure they would have.
He was having a go at the people who were rioting. Not everyone else. The way people have reacted to him criticising a bunch of criminals is insane.

He did not say everyone against immigration is a far right rioter.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Police resources are going to be stretched with pride and if any demo/riots planned this Weekend, seems to be many cities where they are planned

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
No, one can be 'right' without being 'far right' - the same applies to the 'left'.
The far right (who are the vile and obnoxious thugs - I have better words for them, but that's by the by) are indeed simpletons...at best.
And by whose criteria is 14% a 'massive proportion'?
Sorry but that’s absolute tosh. You can be left or right without being extreme either way.

14% of the 60 that voted. It’s far higher than that across the country. But you knew that already

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
He was having a go at the people who were rioting. Not everyone else. The way people have reacted to him criticising a bunch of criminals is insane.

He did not say everyone against immigration is a far right rioter.
Maybe, maybe not. In which case he’s worded it completely wrong, as large portions of the country have reacted incredibly badly to it. Its not just those that are rioting that have taken exception to what he said

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Sorry but that’s absolute tosh. You can be left or right without being extreme either way.

14% of the 60 that voted. It’s far higher than that across the country. But you knew that already
Erm...did you read what I actually wrote, with regard to your first sentence?
And no, 14% is what it was....like it or not....it's not a 'massive proportion'. :)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I do think they’re popular in areas with lots of eastern Europeans eg eastern England.
Where places have exceptionally high proportion of immigrants and have lots of deprivation e.g. Skegness and Boston areas you find high anti immigrant sentiment and they will get elected. Otherwise it tends to be an indirect correlation I.e. the more immigrants you have the less likely you are to dislike them. And areas with very few immigrants are firmly against them. Lots has been written about this phenomenon and is often called contact theory. Having friends from “outgroup” makes you more positive towards them.

It is all very interesting. It is precisely why Farage picked Clacton as there are virtually no immigrants, it is deprived and weirdly
The people blame immigrants for their situation so it is perfect for him. It is also why he previously said he could think of nothing worse than spending every Friday there. I find it incredible that people in these areas think Farage actually cares for them. Not long ago it was Johnson and Reece mogg they believed. But weirdly they have people like Angela R and Jess Phillips who are actually working class and care about the communities.

In fact. It is Labour who are blamed even though it has been a right leaning government for almost 15 years.

But yeah. All starmer’s fault.

Brexit = more Muslim immigrants. This was always going to be the case. It is what people voted for (unless you think lots who voted Brexit didn’t understand the consequences).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Maybe, maybe not. In which case he’s worded it completely wrong, as large portions of the country have reacted incredibly badly to it. Its not just those that are rioting that have taken exception to what he said
Show me which bits of his speech. And show me the large parts (rather than taking the views of some right wing riot thugs and amplified Russian twitter accounts)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

What do you mean by it being far higher than 14% across the country?

In some areas like Clacton it was (the areas with few immigrants) and in lots of areas it was lower. Hence the percentage across the country was basically the same as ukip in 2015.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where places have exceptionally high proportion of immigrants and have lots of deprivation e.g. Skegness and Boston areas you find high anti immigrant sentiment and they will get elected. Otherwise it tends to be an indirect correlation I.e. the more immigrants you have the less likely you are to dislike them. And areas with very few immigrants are firmly against them. Lots has been written about this phenomenon and is often called contact theory. Having friends from “outgroup” makes you more positive towards them.

It is all very interesting. It is precisely why Farage picked Clacton as there are virtually no immigrants, it is deprived and weirdly
The people blame immigrants for their situation so it is perfect for him. It is also why he previously said he could think of nothing worse than spending every Friday there. I find it incredible that people in these areas think Farage actually cares for them. Not long ago it was Johnson and Reece mogg they believed. But weirdly they have people like Angela R and Jess Phillips who are actually working class and care about the communities.

In fact. It is Labour who are blamed even though it has been a right leaning government for almost 15 years.

But yeah. All starmer’s fault.

Brexit = more Muslim immigrants. This was always going to be the case. It is what people voted for (unless you think lots who voted Brexit didn’t understand the consequences).

Reform play the Rust Belt playbook. Targeting communities who feel left behind. It might be smaller coastal resorts which saw better days 60 years ago and literally have half an economic sphere of influence, farming towns or ex heavy industry towns.

One major exception to your first para, there would be significant/widespread racism in some multi cultural areas such as Burnley, Rochdale and West Riding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here