Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No idea about the validity, police say apparently Brighton a possibility on Wednesday?
Crikey, it's like the old Radio 1 Roadshow.

That'll be the riot at Waitrose when they run out of organic pears.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No idea about the validity, police say apparently Brighton a possibility on Wednesday?
I've seen mention of an anti-racist counter-protest on Wednesday, which suggests something is planned...

...and the Holiday Inn Express, Crawley on Friday...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you must be dumb as a bag of arseholes mate , do you think i engage you to exercise my fingers, do you think i'd waste my time debating you just for the sake of an argument ..?? Totally pointless . You obviously think everything is fine and dandy , jolly good , crack on.

why do you do it? it's just a chaotic, dribbling mess

who are you mate ....?? seriously ....who are ya...?

sober up, you soppy tart
Please stop.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
If so, not the way to react, perhaps saying an official protest march with route and time approved by the Police will be policed differently to people assembling on Whitehall because Laurence Fox told them to.
That would have been a perfectly correct and intelligent answer. There might be a vacancy soon!

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
So, item 2 in my series of unsolicited lectures entitled “why your racist bullshit is all wrong, and you’re being a weapons grade mug” covers: public services.

So, the Farage/Robinson crew and their chums writing Telegraph “opinion” pieces would have you believe that the reason you don’t have a family GP any more, and you or your family can’t access your local housing office or social care, or can’t get hold of your social worker is due to a deluge of brown families who have all landed in YOUR local authority area, and are taking priority.

The truth is far more straightforward. The previous Conservative government cut the settlement paid to local authorities, meaning they had less to spend and had to cut the services they offer. Fewer social workers, fewer social care spaces, less money for local schools etc.

The Conservatives then spent that money on funding tax cuts, to make people like them. Rather like the kid at school who thought everyone would be their friend if they bought them stuff. So, that money is gone, and despite their efforts taxes have still gone up due to unavoidable events such as Covid, and avoidable events such as Brexit.

In addition, the amount of tax that is being brought in each year is mostly reliant on taxes that affect workers, and therefore the country only takes in more tax if wages rise. The Conservative Party worked very hard to suppress wage growth throughout their time in government. Our wages have stagnated to a degree not previously seen outside of wartime.

Again, there are solutions to this. Either:

a) a period of extended wage rises, despite their inflationary nature, which will both increase consumer confidence and consumption and grow our tax income.

b) further tax rises on workers (doesn’t feel like the way to go, but it’s an option)

c) closing tax loopholes, banning opaque company structures used to minimize tax liability and altering our tax laws so that a sale to a UK individual is taxed in the UK, with no wiggle room that allow inflated costs to be booked against tax liabilities. Do not allow any other nation (I’m looking at you America) to insist that their tax regime takes precedence over our own.

In short, don’t look to the brown person next to you as the cause of your problems, look to private equity making a mockery of our current tax laws, they’re the reason there isn’t enough to go around.

There is a problem, it’s an economic and political problem, not an immigration problem. Immigration levels are, frankly, about right as we need to make up the shortfall in working age population caused by our declining birth rate.

Incidentally, our declining birth rate is also partly down to us feeling life is tough, we don’t want to bring kids into insecurity or hardship. Every species breeds plentifully when resources are abundant, and stops when resources are scarce.

We as a country are being robbed blind, but it’s mainly by American private equity firms and tech bros, not the guy next to you in the queue for the GP.

It’s not necessarily wrong to feel angry, but you should at least feel angry about the things causing your problems, not the poor buggers caught up in it like you are.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
bore off you idiot , i'm scheduling 3 jobs , it's 7.30 on a monday night here , ill be in bed in 2 hrs and on the road at 5.30 tomorrow ......where will you be at 5.30 tomorrow morning dear , chewing yer pillow...?
doing marine electrickery; why, what difference does that make?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So. If there is a racist march / demo in Brighton, would anyone consider attending a counter protest?

What's the role of a law abiding citizen in the face of these riots? Should we be going out an visibly objecting? But that doesn't help the police much does it?

Sitting here posting about it on a screen seems to not quite be enough.

I'd like to go to the route of the demo and stand there with my back turned, but guess i'll likely get a brick to the back of my head

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
you must be dumb as a bag of arseholes mate , do you think i engage you to exercise my fingers, do you think i'd waste my time debating you just for the sake of an argument ..?? Totally pointless . You obviously think everything is fine and dandy , jolly good , crack on.
That’s the spirit, you can’t beat a good old flounce. Congratulations.

I find it somewhat ironic that you are so ’proud’ of our great country that you decide to live somewhere else, even more ironic that you believe you are better informed than those of us who live here!

It‘s like Farage and Yaxley both being so patriotic that they both hold EU passports. Wankers

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
bore off you idiot , i'm scheduling 3 jobs , it's 7.30 on a monday night here , ill be in bed in 2 hrs and on the road at 5.30 tomorrow ......where will you be at 5.30 tomorrow morning dear , chewing yer pillow...?
I suspect having a good work life balance …

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Taking a look here at the Antifa arrest rates, I would advice caution if you do choose to demonstrate in a counter-protest. Do not engage in violence, follow lawful commands from police and use common sense. By all means, make your voices heard but do it sensibly, calmly and legally. A bunch of racist scrotes aren’t worth getting locked up over.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So, item 2 in my series of unsolicited lectures entitled “why your racist bullshit is all wrong, and you’re being a weapons grade mug” covers: public services.

So, the Farage/Robinson crew and their chums writing Telegraph “opinion” pieces would have you believe that the reason you don’t have a family GP any more, and you or your family can’t access your local housing office or social care, or can’t get hold of your social worker is due to a deluge of brown families who have all landed in YOUR local authority area, and are taking priority.

The truth is far more straightforward. The previous Conservative government cut the settlement paid to local authorities, meaning they had less to spend and had to cut the services they offer. Fewer social workers, fewer social care spaces, less money for local schools etc.

The Conservatives then spent that money on funding tax cuts, to make people like them. Rather like the kid at school who thought everyone would be their friend if they bought them stuff. So, that money is gone, and despite their efforts taxes have still gone up due to unavoidable events such as Covid, and avoidable events such as Brexit.

In addition, the amount of tax that is being brought in each year is mostly reliant on taxes that affect workers, and therefore the country only takes in more tax if wages rise. The Conservative Party worked very hard to suppress wage growth throughout their time in government. Our wages have stagnated to a degree not previously seen outside of wartime.

a) a period of extended wage rises, despite their inflationary nature, which will both increase consumer confidence and consumption and grow our tax income.

b) further tax rises on workers (doesn’t feel like the way to go, but it’s an option)

c) closing tax loopholes, banning opaque company structures used to minimize tax liability and altering our tax laws so that a sale to a UK individual is taxed in the UK, with no wiggle room that allow inflated costs to be booked against tax liabilities. Do not allow any other nation (I’m looking at you America) to insist that their tax regime takes precedence over our own.

In short, don’t look to the brown person next to you as the cause of your problems, look to private equity finance companies making a mockery of our current tax laws, they’re the reason there isn’t enough to go around.

There is a problem, it’s an economic and political problem, not an immigration problem. Immigration levels are, frankly, about right as we need to make up the shortfall in working age population caused by our declining birth rate.

Incidentally, our declining birth rate is also partly down to us feeling life is tough, we don’t want to bring kids into insecurity or hardship. Every species breeds plentifully when resources are abundant, and stops when resources are scarce.

We as a country are being robbed blind, but it’s mainly by American private equity firms and tech bros, not the guy next to you in the queue for the GP.

It’s not necessarily wrong to feel angry, but you should at least feel angry about the things causing your problems, not the poor buggers caught up in it like you are.
Good post, but I fear the
MMT nutter may be aroused by it and feel the need to tell you how it's all easily fixed by just printing more money.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

In short, don’t look to the brown person next to you as the cause of your problems, look to private equity finance companies making a mockery of our current tax laws, they’re the reason there isn’t enough to go around.

I don't agree about the birth rate. Traditionally we had much larger families in hard times simply in the hope that one or two offspring would survive. This is mirrored in many countries around the world today even in the harshest climates and circumstances.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So. If there is a racist march / demo in Brighton, would anyone consider attending a counter protest?

What's the role of a law abiding citizen in the face of these riots? Should we be going out an visibly objecting? But that doesn't help the police much does it?

Sitting here posting about it on a screen seems to not quite be enough.

I'd like to go to the route of the demo and stand there with my back turned, but guess i'll likely get a brick to the back of my head
Like most of Brighton I'll be washing my hair and doing my nails.

Counter protests is what they want. It's no fun when the opposition doesn't arrive.

When the 'March for England' first turned up they were met with bewildered looks and shrugged shoulders. Then they had a picnic in Victoria Gardens. A race hate march was reduced to a Sunday School outing. Marvelous scenes.

But then the opposition came and it turned ugly- because some of these anti-racist folk like a bundle too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quite.

White British have been involved in grooming and abuse on an industrial scale for hundreds of years. It’s institutionalised in schools, children’s homes, churches and all manner of places.

Grooming is not a race issue, it’s a paedophile issue.
To be fair, this is not a sole British problem. Of ones we know of importantly, Ireland, both north and South have had these issues for many years as had the Channel Islands. Spain and France have cases of child exploitation etc.

this goes back to ancient greek times and it’s only in the last 25 ish years that the press fuelled by possible racial motives have brought exploitation and abuse to the forefront.

on another tack, how ransacking a greggs is getting my country back, I am intrigued.

by pure luck, the place they tried to burn down full of asylum seekers and migrants could have ended up as a horrendous incident and if the definition of terrorism is ” to terrorise people with whatever method does that” then these people who deliberately tried to burn that hotel down fit that bill perfectly!,

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Well I could point out that they are five times more likely to speak English than French but I would worry it could be interpreted as condescending :smile:
How are you getting to that figure then?, simply diving 1.5bn by 300m ?. Probably a bit more nuanced than that isn't it, considering 300m English speakers in USA alone. Do you mean English as a 2nd language?, if so then you really need to look at the origin of those people but I haven't seen the stats on that, but I would think there's a lot of europeans who can speak english but not so likely to get on a boat over here.

and yes you are as condescending as ever (unnecessary emoji).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry if posted already, couldn't see it, but this is really encouraging and may show not all the 'protesters' are completely close-minded to reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here