Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
At least nobody's taking about it so that proves it was a futile gesture.

(30 pages by tea time tomorrow).
Yes but the point is, like the M25 ones, I think it turns more people against these protestors and ultimately the cause. They do more harm then good with annoying stunts like this in my opinion…

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
At least nobody's taking about it so that proves it was a futile gesture.

(30 pages by tea time tomorrow).
This has been consistently proven to be bollocks by the way. “All publicity is good publicity” is absolutely not the case. It can harden views certainly, one way or the other, but it can also turn people on the fence against the messenger, ignoring the message.

If genuine protestors all get tarred with the “loony” brush it’s really not a good thing, because nobody will take your message seriously.

It’s exactly why Extinction Rebellion have stopped doing it: https://amp.dw.com/en/uk-extinction-rebellion-to-halt-disruptive-protests/a-64257727

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolute nutter all these protesters need to be locked up.
Sure you wouldn't prefer to have them shot?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's the perfect deterrent.
Drilling down a bit. Two of the M25 protestors had 17 convictions between them, and each time had received community orders. At what point does a custodial sentence become appropriate? Serious question. What can you do when people repeatedly break the law, are given reformative rather than punitive outcomes, then immediately reoffend 16 more times?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Again, needs context. That wouldn’t be inventing a new law, would it? For a first offence I’d expect a community order and a pinky promise not to do it again.

Many protestors who are offenders, as we’ve seen consistently with previous Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil protests, have several convictions to their name before they “make their mark”.

If someone consistently reoffends, what other option is there than a custodial sentence?
The law is up to ten years now after the last legislation.
Ten years for protesting, where the criteria is ‘making a nuisance to other people’.
How is that not open to interpretation?
A Brighton fan got 6 months for protesting, for a first offence in the 90s.
This lot would’ve locked up for a decade.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This has been consistently proven to be bollocks by the way. “All publicity is good publicity” is absolutely not the case. It can harden views certainly, one way or the other, but it can also turn people on the fence against the messenger, ignoring the message.

If genuine protestors all get tarred with the “loony” brush it’s really not a good thing, because nobody will take your message seriously.

It’s exactly why Extinction Rebellion have stopped doing it: https://amp.dw.com/en/uk-extinction-rebellion-to-halt-disruptive-protests/a-64257727
What was that camp that was outside Parliament for years protesting about?
Quite genuinely, I can't remember.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh I don’t if that’s where it was from - I just got sent it and found it quite funny - as @Sid and the Sharknados rightly said, some of it is over egged / straw-man etc…
I don’t know if it’s the Sun definitely, or the Express or Mail. Their headlines are all as ludicrous.

I was trying to,quote an earlier post of yours where you mentioned the M25. Just Stop Oil have a website where they say where they’re going to protest on the motorway network (or they did) the night before.
That way it stops the hysterical headlines of an ambulance can’t get a dying patient to hospital.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The law is up to ten years now after the last legislation.
Ten years for protesting, where the criteria is ‘making a nuisance to other people’.
How is that not open to interpretation?
A Brighton fan got 6 months for protesting, for a first offence in the 90s.
This lot would’ve locked up for a decade.
It is a deterrent sentence range, precisely to stop constant reoffending with no remorse. They genuinely believe they’re right, the law says they’re not. We don’t live an anarchic society. If you want to offend repeatedly, you will expect a custodial sentence. What other option is there? Serious question.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes but the point is, like the M25 ones, I think it turns more people against these protestors and ultimately the cause. They do more harm then good with annoying stunts like this in my opinion…
I’ve now found this and answered it above.

Police knew where they’d be and even arrested journalists covering the protest confiscating their cameras.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t know if it’s the Sun definitely, or the Express or Mail. Their headlines are all as ludicrous.

I was trying to,quote an earlier post of yours where you mentioned the M25. Just Stop Oil have a website where they say where they’re going to protest on the motorway network (or they did) the night before.
That way it stops the hysterical headlines of an ambulance can’t get a dying patient to hospital.
How would the ambulance get to the hospital? They would presumably take the M25 if it was the fastest route. If they have to go a slower route, it can’t be good for the patient can it? It doesn’t matter if it’s a day warning or a month.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is a deterrent sentence range, precisely to stop constant reoffending with no remorse. They genuinely believe they’re right, the law says they’re not. We don’t live an anarchic society. If you want to offend repeatedly, you will expect a custodial sentence. What other option is there? Serious question.
Did you miss the first time sentence I mentioned? That’s already happened.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How would the ambulance get to the hospital? They would presumably take the M25 if it was the fastest route. If they have to go a slower route, it can’t be good for the patient can it? It doesn’t matter if it’s a day warning or a month.
Better than sitting in a traffic jam. Fortunately not many A&E hospitals are near the motorway networks, and ambulances only use motorways for vehicle accidents, which don’t happen when traffic is still.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Conversely you seem to be from The ‘Cult of climate change deniers’. congratulations.

FWIW, demonstraters need to focus on those who can influence future policy and they don’t watch snooker. on the other hand would work nicelyof the head of BP on the other hand would work nicely, as would picketing a polo match. Saying that no one got hurt and relatively easy to rectifly …

Conversely you seem to be from The ‘Cult of climate change deniers’. congratulations.

FWIW, demonstraters need to focus on those who can influence future policy and they don’t watch snooker. Dumping a ton of manure on the drive of the head of BP on the other hand would work nicely, as would picketing a polo match. Saying that no one got hurt and relatively easy to rectifly …
How would it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here