Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Jul 20, 2003
Here is a hypothetical question for you. Imagine Brighton are winning on Sunday, and we get a dangerous freekick in the 88th minute. Protestors from Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion or whoever storm the pitch and damage the goalposts.

What would your reaction be?

My reaction would be to assume that they are Man U fans.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not if you have solar panels or contribute to wind farms.
And have offset the pollution created manufacturing the device you’re using to post, somehow. And the fuel used to transport it to you/the store you bought it from. And a million other things which contribute to climate change on a constant, daily basis.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But the point is, that was an unstoppable unfortunate turn of events. This was a moronic person ruining an evening for thousands of people, let alone impacting the players and even potentially the outcome of a match and tournament if you want to drill right down - peoples jobs…

You think it’s a good thing that the guy did this?
Why didn’t security stop him then? If it’s such a horrific thing that has happened?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d be miffed. But I wouldn’t invent new laws with insane punishments as a result.
Who is doing this? Sorry if I missed it. Surely upholding the existing law is a good thing?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who is doing this? Sorry if I missed it. Surely upholding the existing law is a good thing?
Suggesting draconian prison sentences as per several early in this thread is undoubtedly this in action.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is AIX making massive profits from oil? He never told us, then again, neither has out government.
I keep it a secret. I even keep it a secret from myself, that’s how secret I keep it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok, I'll make an offer.

Anyone who supports this can join the protest. PM me some proof of address and I'll pop round your house and key the words "Just Stop Oil" into your car or bike.

If you grass me up you're an authoritarian climate change denier.
Threatening behaviour on the internet? Be careful. There are laws about this kind of thing.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I meant those blocked on the M25 etc - like the ones who couldn’t get chemo or attend funerals etc etc.

I said thousands in above post to reflect the TV audiences etc etc
Yeah I don't approve of blocking roads without prior notice for that reason.
I also seem to remember some nutcase standing on top of a commuter train in London. How the hell does he want people to get to work if not by an electrically powered train?
But, thinking that some of the specific protests are moronic, and that people who commit specific crimes should be punished accordingly, is not inconsistent with supporting the cause and protests in general.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why didn’t security stop him then? If it’s such a horrific thing that has happened?
Where did I say it was horrific? This is where you lose credibility like a lot of people so passionate about something - just like these protesters. I agree we need to do / continue doing bits for a greener planet - yet you’re pigeon holing me into being the opposite because I think jumping on a snooker table at the crucible is a dumb and silly thing…

Security did stop then other one. They’re not to blame whatsoever - humans can’t control other humans’ silly actions sometimes.

So do you agree with what the protestor did then? I did ask before…

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
So you’re not going to justify your initial stance? I’m hugely disappointed.

What would I do? Well I’d support the full electrification of the UK railway network, heavy investment in making the UK road network more electric vehicle friendly, tax petrol cars once this is done, ban internal flights within the UK (excluding Northern Ireland), build high speed rail across the country and build more on and off-shore wind farms. So I would have to “give up” more tax money, but I think that’s a price worth paying to improve the nation.

Your turn.

That’ll sort out climate change wil it?

It doesn’t matter that electric cars will be unafforable to so many. You make no reference to dietry changes or reductions in international air travel, so people wont have to sacrifice the diets they enjoy or reduce international travel?

With all your new high speed rail, what will the embodied emissions be of all these new lines?

How will all this be funded? You mention paying more tax, can you provide more detail?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Suggesting draconian prison sentences as per several early in this thread is undoubtedly this in action.
Again, needs context. That wouldn’t be inventing a new law, would it? For a first offence I’d expect a community order and a pinky promise not to do it again.

Many protestors who are offenders, as we’ve seen consistently with previous Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil protests, have several convictions to their name before they “make their mark”.

If someone consistently reoffends, what other option is there than a custodial sentence?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What a cretinous argument. It's possible to both be a user of polluting technologies ( because there's literally no other choice) and wish that as a society we would speed up our efforts to provide alternatives and prevent the earth being turned into a massive slow cooker.
Of course there is a choice, my next reply will be sent by carrier pigeon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here