Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prosser or Cook today - who's the worst?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'm sure we can all remember Prosser nearly starting a riot at the Withdean
with his ineptness and complete inability to referee anything other than a
subbuteo match..

Did that twat today go one better?

I personally think that today that moron showed a complete lack of awareness and ability to handle a match - he should be doing kids football not professional. The sooner he's dumped back where he belongs,
the better.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If you look at the match objectively :

Elphick first yellow - IMO no it wasn't
Brighton Penalty - A soft one Dickenson played for it
Elphick 2nd yellow - Harsh could have spoken to him but i can see why it was given
Hawkins Red and Pen - Both correct he pulled the player back
Their player red - yep kicked the ball away cant remember first yellow

Those are the key ones - not a great performance but not anywhere near the Prosser one.

I wasn't at the game today, so I have no idea what the ref's performance was like, but it's ireelevant to the Prosser debate. Prosser was a shite ref that day, but it was his after-match comments for which he should be castigated, and for which he should be considered the worst ref ever - whatever the performances of others.

Although, to be fair, he's still no Challis.

I was at a game today - a thoroughly entertaining one, full of incident and a couple of excellent goals (four scored in total) -at which the ref was utterly appalling. Decision after decision wrong. Three clear handballs not spotted, a couple of atrocious tackles which could have led to serious injury not spotted, one of the worst offside decisions I have ever seen given, and a host of other more minor incidents dealt with wrongly. Some bald bloke from Prestatyn - I missed his name.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Ernest

Because he wasn't consistent...........and showed no
savi about how to run a game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ref was spot on with every decision even Elphicks first yellow a bit harsh but correct as per the laws of the game.

Why did people clap Elphick he had let the team, the management and the fans down with a stupid reckless challenge that he diodnt have to make in the centre circle, even more so as he was on a yellow.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Prosser was the only referee I've seen who actually seemed to genuinely be cheating, having taken against the Albion for whatever reason, imagined racism or otherwise. Cook today was just a bit crap.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The ref today was absolutely fine. Sadly there are a lot of morons who can't accept that sometimes we do deserve to find ourselves where we are. Today we DID deserve to be down to 9 men and we DID deserve to lose. It's not the ref's fault - what's he meant to do? Not give out cards because the home fans won't like it?

Prosser was shit though.

I think Elphick's first booking was harsh, but seen them given. Our penalty was soft but again seen them given - my only issue would be the one he didn't give us but booked Dickinson

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He got every MAJOR decision spot on, our penalty, Elphicks second yellow was correct, Hawkins red and their pen was correct as was sending off their chap.
So why this blaming of the ref ?

Sorry, don't agree. One of their centre backs should have gone for a foul on Dickinson on the edge of the box after we had lost our two players. He was already booked in the first half for numerous clattering tackles on Dickinson and that should have been his last warning however, the referee saw fit to keep him on the pitch. That was a major decision he bottled which, with the game at 2-3 and with 9 against 10, it could have evened it up and we would have had a better chance.

The ref was spot on with every decision even Elphicks first yellow a bit harsh but correct as per the laws of the game.

Why did people clap Elphick he had let the team, the management and the fans down with a stupid reckless challenge that he diodnt have to make in the centre circle, even more so as he was on a yellow.

Disagree, see my comments above. I would even say Elphick's first was fully deserved as he lead with either his elbow or his shoulder and was clearly not looking at the ball.

showpony

Sep 2, 2004
HH

....because it winds you up? :wanker:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't there but I didn't hear a word of protest from John Byrne for any of the major decisions, except a couple of the non critical bookings being a bit harsh. I'm bored with hearing how refs turned games against us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was only there for the first half (my kids wanted to go so I had to leave) but I thought that the first booking of Elphick didn't look that unreasonable - admittedly I was at the other end of the pitch but I looked like a bit of a reckless challenge. Looks like I missed all the fun in the second half.

I don't undestand the comparison with Prosser though. Surely the point with Prosser is not the way he reffed the game (as subsequent replays showed he was spot on with his decisions) but the way he spoke afterwards about imaginary racist comments - something not heard by anyone from Brighton or Sheff Utd staff. He showed himself to be a complete dickhead for that but that was nothing to do with his reffing ability.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
He got every MAJOR decision spot on, , ?

what about the handball in the first half where seemingly the whole southstand called a penalty,
what about bottling sending off their centre back, as mentioned before,

& most annoyingly although not a refereeing decision WHAT ABOUT THE WINKS, SMILES BACKSLAPPING & HANDSHAKES BETWEEN THE STOCKPORT PLAYERS & OFFICIALS DURING & AFTER THE GAME?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wasn't there but I didn't hear a word of protest from John Byrne for any of the major decisions, except a couple of the non critical bookings being a bit harsh. I'm bored with hearing how refs turned games against us.

Happens every game.

Thats why I dont believe it anymore.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Although I thought the ref was a complete cock ( more for what he didn't give than for what he did) I still think we were worth at least a draw, if it wasn't for fon williams we would have been out of sight by half time.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thought he got most decisions correct except our penalty. It never was. He also tried to keep the game flowing by not blowing up immediatley and looking to see if it was better to play the advantage. Most times he got it right. Where I thought he failed was in not sending off Stockport's centre back already on a yellow when he fowled Dickinson. Oh, and Wanderbus cites the not given handball in the first half when all the South Stand went up. Yes we did, but all around me admitted it was ball to hand but worth a shout.
So, in my book Ref not to blame. Now if you are looking for blame when will our defence stop backing off and put in a tackle? Game after game we let the opposition run into our box from their half. Our problem is not poor refereeing.
Last season at this point despite us being at the top of the table I said we looked like a relegation side. New manager, new players and we still look like a relegation side.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Forgetting about the refs performance yesterday, (which I incidentally thought was abysmal), when are we going to see a game where the ref seems to be siding us and giving us advantages over the other team.

Although we should, undoubtedly, be winning games through our own merit, the referee influence is a massive part of the game and I have seen too many times, a referee influence a game away from us.

I can categorically say that I have NEVER seen a game where the ref seems to be taking a liking to us. I've seen many a game where its been the other way round though. It kind of makes you wonder if there is a secret refs club which all teams pay into but Albion don't giving us an automatic disadvantage.

I agree that the team setup is "not quite there yet" but it would be nice to have a "nice" ref for a change..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here